Author Topic: MARTYN Family of St Columb Minor  (Read 74261 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
MARTYN Family of St Columb Minor
« on: Monday 03 December 07 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Ding and myself got a little sidetracked on one of his threads not relevant to the Martyn Family some time ago and since it is getting a lot of attention of late, due to Ding's discoveries re Jane Trinidad, I have decided to give the family their own thread. I think they deserve one

Re Jane Gertrude Trididad(e) nee Johns.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,309613.0.html

I have done a lot of work on that Martyn Family  ;)

Actually they do come in as extremely distantly related to my family (complex female lines)

Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 07 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ding,

Hope you are about. I have been dying to hear more from you. Your Tree sounds horribly interesting. I know so much about this Martyn Family and the families they marry into  ;D I just love St Columb Minor People :D The Martyn Window at the St Columb Minor Parish Church is quite amazing, and so are  the gravestones.

Which of Thomas and Gertrude's children do you descend from?

Who does your tree list as the parents of John MARTYN = Gertrude HISCUTT 1763? Gertrudes parents were Gertrude Martyn (the daughter of Thomas and Gertrude Turnavine) who was married to Elias Hiscutt.

I know logistically who John has to be, but if that is so, then there is something which I really am not happy about and so it continues to niggle at me, so I tis rather curious what your tree says  :'(

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 December 07 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris,

Where do I start!!
My line follows two paths, firstly Thomas Martyn = Gertrude Turnavine (one of my mothers names was Turnavine). Their daughter Margaret = Richard Johns, their son Richard = Gertrude Martyn who was the daughter of Joseph Martyn = Dorothy Warne (Joseph was a son of Thomas and Gertrude, Margaret's brother). Richard & Gertrude Johns had a son William who married Jane Lawer, their daughter was Harriet Johns.

Now we go back to another daughter of Thomas & Gertrude Martyn, Gertrude who married Elias Hiscutt. Their daughter, Gertrude Hiscutt = John Martyn (who is another child of Joseph Martyn & Dorothy Warne. John & Gertrude Martyn's son William = Mary Hiscutt & they had a son Silas Hiscutt Martyn.

Silas Hiscutt Martyn = Harriet Johns and their daughter Mary Jane is my Great Grandmother.
As you can see there are lots of cousins marrying!!!
If you want further info. don't hesitate to ask. I had to put it all down on a large piece of paper so that I could follow all the links. I have photos of Harriet Johns and Silas Hiscutt Martyn as well as photos of Tregunell (their home). I also have photos of various cousins.

I inherited a very interesting jug from mum which had Jane Trindade 1831 painted on the side. It turns out that Jane was an older sister of Harriet Johns who married a Joseph Trindade and ended up in a harem. She escaped by bribing the guards with jewelry and being delivered to an English ships captain in a wine barrel. She lived out her days in Crantock with some sisters. There is mention of a dark skinned son and the family tree shows a son Joseph.

I probably have you more confused by now so will finish and let you digest it all.

Cheers Ding.
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 December 07 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ding,

Yes a really great family. Sounds like you have heaps. I too have heard of the rescue by her brother Captain Thomas Johns, in his ship the Liberty, of Jane Johns/Trinidad 1799-1872 and the story of a dark skinned son being born soon afterwards (he cannot be substantiated in the Parish Records)

I am very concerned about William son of John and Gertrude = Mary Hiscutt. Ohhohh goodness and this is your line. This is not how I see it  ::)  ::)  ::)

I have Mary Jane (looks like I haven't followed her to marriage - Last I have listed is 1861 (baptism 19 Mar 1839 Crantock father gentleman of Tregunel) daughter of Silas Hiscutt and Harriet Johns as you mention and he the son of William and Mary (don't have than marriage, so did not know Mary's maiden name) Now sorry to say here is where we become horribly unstuck, cas I don't believe he is John and Gertrude's Son.  :'(

William the son of John and Gertrude = Elizabeth Darke He was from Trevethick and is immortalised in Martyn Window   :o
I did a bio on him for the Church

Here is a Photo of the Martyn Graves at St Columb Minor

John and Gertrude on the left, William and Elizabeth on the right and Williams brother John behind him.

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 December 07 00:42 GMT (UK) »
You are correct. I apologies there is a line on my sheet that crosses & I followed the wrong one. :-[
Silas' father William is the son of John's brother Thomas Martyn = Ann King.

The Wiliam son of Gertrude= John who married Elizabeth Darke is an ancestor of Mum's Cousin Peggy Aldis who I spoke of earlier (Martyn fanatic) I have most of the letters she wrote to Mum. She is in fact a desc. of both William = Mary Hiscutt and William = Elizabeth Darke. The name Darke appears in a number of places.

Re Jane Trindade (death cert says = Joseph Lourisico da Trindade, died Church Farm Crantock 9 Mar 1872. The only information I had came from the above Peggy Aldis and was sketchy. She had terrible hand writing and I cant work out where the harem was. She said her mother Mary Martyn (Johns) had visited her (Jane) in Crantock and saw the dark skinned boy. I wonder if the Capt. Thomas Johns was her brother?

I tried to download the pictures you sent but have been denide access.  :'(

Now Mary Jane Martyn:
Marriage 1   James Major Cardell Feb 1864, James died 17 Nov 1864 of gastric fever.
Marriage 2 Richard Grose Pollard of "Bodieve" Egloshayle. Children Harriet Martyn 1874 - 1882 and Mary Louise 1877 - 1943.
Died 14 Apr 1886.
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 December 07 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Phew....Thank heavens for that - having a nervous breakdown about William as I knew I was right, and hearing this was your line.......What a relief - I do agree William 1767 - 1848 Crantock was the son of Thomas and Ann King  ;D

There was a brother of Harriet and Jane called Thomas so presume he was said sea captian (I have 13 children to William Johns and Jane Lower) PLEASE NOTE: Thomas was found to be an accountant - It was brother William who was the Captain. Please see Jane Trinidad thread listed in first post

Will study these other things later....sounds like have some fascinating stuff for sure.

Here is the same Photo taken 100 years previously with the Ozzie Martyn Girls at the Grave of their gggrandfather John  ;)

Different angle and without the ugly hall - isn't it lovely  :D

I can't see any reason you would not be able to download the pics but will PM you  ;)

Kris  :D

Offline vivien459

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
Just stumbled across your thread.   My husband is a Martyn-Johns.   We're not actively researching the family - I'll leave that as a retirement project for him one day - but was delighted to get a fuller version of the harem story.   We'd heard someone was captured by pirates and brought back by her brother but I had never quite believed it.
We have a copy of a family tree (pretty literally - shows branches, roots etc) printed in the mid 19th century, tracing back to the mid 17th century (from memory).   I assume you already have a copy yourselves, but if not, leave a message and I'll arrange to pass it on.

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Vivien459,

I was delighted to receive your post re Martyn/Johns tree. I have only been researching this since my mother died some 14 months ago and left me letters, photos, artifacts etc. (including Jane Trindades jug). I do have a copy of the tree you talk about. The original is in a sorry state so I have framed it to preserve it. Fortunately photocopies were taken of it a few years ago and I can read them.
I would be very interested to know where your husband fits into the tree. Maybe we will be able to exchange photos, information etc. Please keep in touch. Are you in the UK?

Regards Ding.

Offline vivien459

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hello from England.

My husband is Richard Andrew M-J, son of Bradford Alfred M-J who is son of Rev Constantine Bradford M-J.   CBM-J would have been born in the late 19th century.    He died long before I came on the scene tho' I did notice that the UK national archives have his wartime diaries (1914-18) in their catalogue.
My father-in-law and his younger brother both have handed-down stories about their branch of the Ms and Js before (and after) farm bankruptcy overtook them and might well respond to letters.   The mark on our copy of the tree suggests they are descended from John Johns (cousin of Mrs (?) Trinidad) and Mary Humphreys - no doubt one of them will be able to confirm that.  Between them they are in touch with a family called Tremaine and also a huge tribe of Maunsells in New Zealand who are (I think) also descended from the Ms and Js.
As I said, my husband's family, not mine, but if any of this is of interest do let me know.   Some M-Js are away at the moment but I foresee a lot of interest in the new information on the "captured by pirates" story when they return.

Kind regards,
Vivien459