Author Topic: Brainborough Terrace, Dublin  (Read 6431 times)

Offline luas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brainborough Terrace, Dublin
« on: Friday 20 June 08 12:47 BST (UK) »
Has anyone been along this street lately?  It's also spelled Brainboro in some references, and it runs from Washington Street to Greenville Terrace, just off the South Circular Road near Leonard's Corner, Dublin.  A number of years ago, I went looking for the house my father was born in, which was number 4 Brainboro.  The only houses there seemed to be a couple on the left, going towards Greenville Terrace, which were numbered odd, and were derelict, seemingly being used as drinking dens.  It was difficult to see where a number 4 might have been, because opposite were either gardens or garages (I forget which) of houses in Greenville Terrace.  Does anybody have an old map which might give a clue to the layout in 1906 or thereabouts, to identify where a number 4 could have been?  Also, last time I was down there was a bit before the big building boom, and derelict houses were not uncommon.  I'm guessing that, now, those odd numbers have either been done up or the site developed.  It would be interesting to know what it's like if anyone's familiar with the area.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brainborough Terrace, Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 June 08 12:49 BST (UK) »
If you want to get an idea of what might be there now try looking at a site like Google Earth to see the area and that particular street.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline luas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 June 08 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  I've had a look with Google Earth; but, for some reason, the image is quite blurred when you get close.  The rural parts of Wales were like that, until I downloaded an updated version which now shows quite good definition.  Maybe a future upgrade will improve the image for Dublin.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 June 08 17:18 BST (UK) »
If Google Earth's a bit blurry try another site like Virtual Earth to see if you can get it clearer.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline luas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 June 08 20:00 BST (UK) »
Virtual Earth is better.  You can see the fronts of the houses.  This is as I remember it, but there are premises at the rear.  I wonder if they're also classed as Brainborough Terrace?  On the 1911 Census, there were 8 addresses, 1 to 8, with 8 in double occupancy.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 June 08 20:31 BST (UK) »
Here it is (from http://maps.live.com ):

Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline luas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 June 08 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks - that's a good picture.  Those houses just behind the word "Brainsborough" are the ones that were derelict.  In fact, I'm not sure if they're not still unoccupied on this photograph.  They were numbered odd.  I wonder if Brainborough Terrace only starts at the top of Washington Street, or does it maybe extend to the left of that junction?  And those premises at right angles to Brainborough, behind the "derelict" houses, I wonder how they're addressed, and how old they are?  As an architectural aside, those houses in Greenville Terrace have most unusual double roofs.  I've never noticed anything like that anywhere else.

Offline Taidquest

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 June 08 23:43 BST (UK) »
hi,this is one of 2 houses for sale on brainboro terrace,the house numbers are 2 and 3.
tried to post both links but kept losing one when I tried to shrink  the link.
but they are both on daft.ie.   one shows a back view of the house.
                                                                                                Anne
                                        http://www.rootschat.com/links/03oq/
The link above obviously no longer shows Brainborough/brainboro
terrace,but I thought I'd leave the link rather than delete it in case
anyone wants to see the surrounding area.
                                                                   Anne

<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive

Offline luas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 June 08 00:23 BST (UK) »
Looks like they have been done up then.  And they're numbered consecutively.  I'm sure there was no number four when I was there.  Most interesting, especially the price!