Author Topic: Why can't I sprinkle ashes  (Read 51160 times)

Offline Carol22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I sprinkle ashes
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 June 08 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

thank you so much for all your replies, and some amusing stories, My Mother in law was a bit of a card, and liked a laugh and like most of you she would be encouraging us to do what most of you have done, my husband takes after her, and you can imagine his comments **** ****
We have yet to find his Grandfather's grave, I have the plot number and I have a plan of the cemetery, but have not found it yet, that was the reason I rang them just to find the plot. I suspect we will look like two grave robbers roaming around the cemetery, but if the ones up there can see us it could be fun

Caz

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 June 08 10:17 BST (UK) »
There is always a lighter side.   My father-in-law spent 30 years working as a bus driver for the then, London Transport.   His funeral began 10 minutes late since the hearse carrying his body got stuck behind .... a bus!   He would have loved that and how many times, I wonder, in his childhood had his Mother uttered those words, '... ******, come on - you'll be late for your own funeral' ;D

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 June 08 10:23 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid in the UK these days you can't do anything, because it's either a Health & Safety or a National Security problem  ::)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 June 08 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all.....What an intersting thread and I had no idea that apparently it is legal to bury a human body in yer back garden..

Here is a snippet from one of the links..

What action will people seeking to carry out home burials need to take?

People who wish to bury a body at home should consult both with us and with the local council’s Environmental Health Department.

When preparing the grave, the person responsible should ensure that:

The plot has at least one metre of subsoil below its base, with at least one metre of soil to cover to the coffin.

The grave does not contain any standing water when it is first dug, and is not dug in very sandy soil.

The plot is deep enough to prevent foraging animals from disturbing the body.

Jane..
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 June 08 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi all.....What an intersting thread and I had no idea that apparently it is legal to bury a human body in yer back garden..

Here is a snippet from one of the links..

What action will people seeking to carry out home burials need to take?

People who wish to bury a body at home should consult both with us and with the local council’s Environmental Health Department.

When preparing the grave, the person responsible should ensure that:

The plot has at least one metre of subsoil below its base, with at least one metre of soil to cover to the coffin.

The grave does not contain any standing water when it is first dug, and is not dug in very sandy soil.

The plot is deep enough to prevent foraging animals from disturbing the body.

Jane..

Hmmm..... but will it enhance the resale value of your property ?  ;D

This reminds me of when we were house-hunting a few years ago...... the house owner was showing us around, and she kept going on about how happy she had been living in the house.  She eventually came up with "I'll be so sorry to leave this house, I have six dogs buried in the garden".

With that, both my wife and I lost interest in the property.  Can't think why !   ::)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 June 08 11:03 BST (UK) »
When my dearly loved dog died and was cremated he was interred at the Pet cemetary in Rossendale.

http://www.rosspetcrem.co.uk/

For humans, you are supposed to inter the pot of ashes into an existing grave or so I was led to believe.  There is a danger from mercury poisoning from teeth fillings and other metal joints etc.,so this is the safety aspect.

Offline mrs_tease

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur Simon 1869 - 1922
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 22 June 08 12:45 BST (UK) »
After dad had died I paid for a tree to be planted with the National Trust, up in the Dales, as he loved it there.

Everyone thought it was a good idea until we got the certificate, the wood it had been planted in was called 'Deadmans Folly' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Simon (Lincolnshire,Yorkshire)Boyd, Walters, Percy, Richardson (Lincolnshire) Mckay, Bateman (Hull)Ellis (Lincolnshire,Hull)

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 June 08 13:19 BST (UK) »

A lady round the corner from me lost her son 18 months ago. He was in his 30s and had

been in a lot of trouble and ended up killing himself. He was cremated and she then had his urn

buried in the back garden. There was only her and her son as they came from Poland. I often

think what will happen when she dies and someone else moves there. what if his remains were

ever found. Spooky. To scatter ashes would have been more sensible as what you dont know

cant hurt you. Go ahead and scatter them :)

Sue
Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrs_tease

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur Simon 1869 - 1922
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 June 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
From what I've read somewhere, if you have a burial in your garden, it is entered into the house deeds that it is there
Simon (Lincolnshire,Yorkshire)Boyd, Walters, Percy, Richardson (Lincolnshire) Mckay, Bateman (Hull)Ellis (Lincolnshire,Hull)