Author Topic: Why can't I sprinkle ashes  (Read 51197 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I sprinkle ashes
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 13 February 20 14:13 GMT (UK) »
The easiest way we have found to scatter ashes is to put them in a carrier bag.  Make a small hole in the corner of the bag and wander randomly around the chosen spot, letting the ashes trickle out.  It ensures a nice even distribution and is unobtrusive.  It also avoids having a large quantity blown in the wrong direction should the wind get up.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 13 February 20 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Sloe gin, You remind me of those scenes in World War II prisoner of war films where they walk around dropping soil through the holes in their trouser pockets to get rid of the spoil from the escape tunnel.

Martin

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 13 February 20 14:50 GMT (UK) »
The easiest way we have found to scatter ashes is to put them in a carrier bag.  Make a small hole in the corner of the bag and wander randomly around the chosen spot, letting the ashes trickle out.  It ensures a nice even distribution and is unobtrusive.  It also avoids having a large quantity blown in the wrong direction should the wind get up.

We were advised that cardboard tubes are the easiest for scattering ashes.  So, where could we find a number of cardboard tubes which could be sealed, relatively cheaply and at short notice?  And then in the supermarket we came across a display of Pr*ngles tubes.  Thus, when we set off up Glastonbury Tor on that windy October day, my husband's ashes were safely stored in half a dozen tubes which,mappropriately, had 'Barbecue style' displayed prominently on their labels...
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 14 February 20 15:02 GMT (UK) »
My parents in law are buried in the local churchyard. Right beside the church wall. Dad always referred to it as pets corner, as there are dozens of very small stones!
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 14 February 20 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Deer & cattle will eat ashes given the chance, maybe better to dig a wee hole!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 14 February 20 19:32 GMT (UK) »
When my husband was alive he used to tease anybody who was cheeky to him 'If you don't behave I'll take you to my favourite spot on the moors and leave you there'. After he died my son said that we should take his ashes up there and leave him there.  It is a very wind swept, but beautiful spot and I'm sure by now he is scattered far and wide. I have told my family that I want to join him there, but I  have warned them they may hear me shouting 'Where are you' as I wander around looking for him, just like Cathy did for Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU