Author Topic: Shaftesbury Home Bisley  (Read 20964 times)

Offline johnpeeler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaftesbury Home Bisley
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 22:10 GMT (UK) »
My dad. Norman Wells was at Bisley at the same time as you and he has asked me to find out what I can so ...... what can you tell me to pass on to him?

Please refer to previous reply as i am now enclosing the pic

Regards John

Offline petert99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 11:02 BST (UK) »
I was at  Bisley Boys School in the middle fifties 53 - 56. Are the School building still there??
petert

Offline Motton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 December 09 04:53 GMT (UK) »
G'day petert et al
I was at Bisley Boys' School from 1945-48.   My dad was too old to enter the war and was seconded to Bisley to teach shoemaking.   His name, Tom Winton.   Freddie White was the tailor.   Yes and I remember Mr Read.   Blind as a bat,  but he knew when a boy failed to salute him when passing.
I returned to Bisley in November '07.   The school is no longer there.   An estate of houses in its place,  covering the school site,  and the farm,  and Cobbets farm across the road;  all houses.   
The chapel is now the village hall,  and Topper's pond on which we used to slide in the winter has been drained to about 1/4 its original size.
David in Tasmania.

Offline gerald.pntlworld.c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 January 10 14:21 GMT (UK) »

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
hi debbie
i was a pupil at the bisley school from 1939-1948, any information you want i would gladly help out i have a lot of photos of the school and of the pupils.
you can also buy a book how the school started and when it closed it is called The Chance of a Lifetime, you can buy the book from The Chapel,Royal Victoria Patriotic Building ,Trinity Road , London Road, sw18 35x Tele: 02088751555.

regards  gerald

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 January 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerald
I don't suppose you have anything on the school going back to the early - mid 1910s. What a pity the school records were destroyed. The number of replies on this topic shows the interest in the school.

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 11:15 GMT (UK) »
hi eric
i am sorry i do not have any information in the 1910 period, i have some photos of young boys working in the bisley orchard cleaning the road and weeding ,the photo could date back to the 1900 period and maybe back before that.
i also have some photos of young boys in the band marching along the road dating back to the 1900 or before that, there is no way of nowing when the photos were taken.
you might try contacting the
surrey history centre,
130 goldsworth road,
woking
surrey  gu21 6nd

i got most of my information from them.

good luck        gerald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 11:34 GMT (UK) »
hi motton.
i was at the bisley school and shaftesbury house from 1939-1948 i new your dad he taught me all about shoemaking we made all the shoes for the school and the clothes, we could also learn engineering and woodwork,
sadly the school closed in 1959.
the junior school was demolished and they built houses there, the shaftesbury house was also demolished about the same time.  a prison has been built where the house was, called coldingley prison it opened in 1969, the surrounding area is now a housing estate.
regards

gerald

Offline bohdithedog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 November 11 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

I've just come across your post here and would desperately like to correspond with you. My father, Harry Valentine Smith (deceased), was also there from approx 1936 to 1942 and I would love to know , firstly if you remember him (I know the chances are slim) and also what the place was like, conditions, routine etc.  Was it an abusive place? (my dad wouldn't talk about it), was it a good place? what was the housing like? Anything and everything would be great LOL!

I hope to hear from you soon
Thanks
Tania

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 November 11 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I got in touch with the "Shaftesbury Homes and Arethusa" charity, several years ago. At first I got a reply saying that their records had been destroyed in a fire. Then a long while after, I had a reply from someone at the charity who had been looking back through some old school magazines and found a mention of the person I was looking for. Unfortunately I lost the reply when my computer crashed, so I can't tell you who replied.
Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815