Author Topic: Barnett Family  (Read 6745 times)

Offline Ruth J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barnett Family
« on: Friday 20 June 08 22:52 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone out there related to the Barnett family? if so I would like to hear from you.  I am looking for information on an Anne Barnett.  All I know at the moment is that she married a William Deeley in 1775 at Halesowen.  As for children, the only ones I know of at present are Joel, Sarah and John.

Look forward to hearing from you

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Barnett Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 June 08 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth, I looked up the Marriage for you, Wm was a bach of the Parish, Ann was a spinster of the Parish by banns, witnesses were Henry Newby and Joseph Chandler.  Joseph Chandler was a Church Warden, they all signed with a X except for Joseph Chandler.  I think this family was from Cradley Halesowen Worcs.  I have a Wm Deeley born 1795, with no parents, could be their son, I've not checked back any further on him?  He Married Elizabeth Parkes 5.11.1815 Old Swinford St Mary's.  Will have a further look at my Wm Deeley and get back to you.  linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline Ruth J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 June 08 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Linell

Thank you for your reply, I do actually have the marriage. It does look as though we could be from the same Deeleys.  I have found your William I think on the 1841 census.  I have found nothing on the barnett family.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Ruth J

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 June 08 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruth, yes at a guess I would think my Wm born 1795 is the son of your Wm and Ann Barnett.  In 1841 Wm and Elizabeth are living at Cradley Mill, which is on the boarder of Cradley Worcs and Quarry Bank Kingswinford Staffordshire.  This area is always difficult to research, I always check both Counties when searching.  Most of the Baps and Burials were at Cradley, no Church in Quarry Bank until the 1850's.  Unfortunately, most of the Cradley Non Conformist Baps and Burials before about 1795 have either been lost or were never kept in the first place.  I have a few Cradley Brick Walls as it is impossible to find people before 1795, unless they were Baptised or Buried at Halesowen, Old Swinford or Kingswinford Parish Churches.  I did check the Parish Records that I have for Cradley, and found a baptism for an Edward Barnett 28.7.1798 at Cradley Baptist Church, a further note says he was born about Easter 1776 son of George and Ann Barnett.  Baptists were Baptised as Adults.  They are the only family mentioned in this time frame, so could be connected to your Ann.  I also have an Ann Barnett in my tree born 1814 she married 1) Solomon Brettle and 2) Thomas Crampton, all from Cradley.  I will get back to you if I find anything else.  linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 June 08 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hello again Ruth, just found a burial in the Cradley Baptist Register for an Ann Barnett in February 1851 aged 61.  An Edward Barnett is listed as a Member of the Baptist Church in 1798.  He was excluded in 1806, probably broke one of their rules!  Circa 1820 - 1825 an Edward Barnett rented a Pew in the same Church, not sure if this is the same Edward or a son?  Again an Edward is listed as a Trustee later, circa 1835, he may be on the 1841 Census?  I think the name of Edward could be significant as my Wm and Elizabeth Deeley had a son Edward born about 1828 he married Sarah Yardley.  Other children of Wm and Elizabeth were, Eliza 1815 Married Benjamin Williams, Joseph 1817 Married Mary Ann Fletcher, Wm 1819 Married Matilda Robinson they also had a son they called Edward born about 1847, Thomas 1822 Married Hannah Worton, John 1824 Married Emma Mason, and a daughter Ann Deeley born about 1826.  The Cradley House and Field Survey of 1782 lists a George Barnett renting a Tenement and Garden from Widow Hill in Cradley.  He is the only Barnett listed.  None of this will be much help to you at the moment, but may come in useful at some point.  Best Wishes from linell.

Offline Ruth J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 June 08 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Linell,

Thank you yet again for the information.  You mentioned about an Edward Barnett being the son of George and Ann Barnett, I wonder if they are the parents of my Ann Barnett.  Were you aware of any of the children of William and Ann Barnett that I mentioned?  I descend from Joel bapt 22 October 1775 at the Old Church Smethwick.  He married Elizabeth Faulkner on 1 January 1804 at St. Martins Tipton (known as the pepperbox). Yesterday I went to Sandwell archives and found information fof 2 more siblings, John S. bn Sept. 1805.  He married Hannah Toy about 15 September 1823 at West Bromwich.

Ruth

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 June 08 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth, no I haven't got anything on any of William and Ann's children.  They must have moved out of the area to Smethwick then?  As for Ann Barnett the family were definitely Baptists so you won't find a Baptism for her, I did find a few notes on Edward and George in the History of the Cradley Baptist Church.  Going back even further there was a Charles Barnett mentioned a few times in the Cradley Court Rolls, looks as though the Barnett Family had been in Cradley for a few hundred years.  Best Wishes from linell.

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 January 09 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Anyone connected to these or any further info please?

/Henry BARENETT
                                                                           /Will BARNINET bap 24 AUG 1681 St Mary’s in Handsworth
                                                                     /William BARNETT bap. APR 15 1727 St Mary’s in Handsworth m. 11 JAN 1755 St Mary’s in Handsworth, Staffordshire (7)
                                                                     |     \Alice HANSON m. 15 APR 1725   Handsworth
                                                             /John BARNETT bap: 3 OCT 1757 St Mary’s in Handsworth, Staffordshire, bur: 15 Dec 1820 St Mary’s in Handsworth, Staffordshire (7)
                                                             |       |     /John SANDERS b 1704 (6)
                                                             |       \Hannah SANDERS bap 20 JUN 1731 St Mary’s in Handsworth, Staffordshire (7)
                                                             |             \Hannah b 1708 (7)
                                                     /William BARNETT bap: 17 Oct 1784 St Mary’s in Handsworth, bur. 28 SEP 1871 St Peter Whampton – Merridale plot 382 section 3/74 can’t find (Tool maker) (8)
                                                     |       \Mary (7) d. JFM 1838? Birmingham
                                             /Richard BARNETT bap: 28 MAY 1833 St Peter’s in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, d. 2 Aug 1910 bur: 6 AUG 1910 Yardley cemetery (Tin plate worker) (9)
                                             |       \Elizabeth HODGETTS b. c1789 m. 05 SEP 1808, St Martin, Birmingham, bur. 9 Jun 1839 St Peter Wolverhampton (8) brother of Thomas?
                                     /William Henry BARNETT b: JAS 1864 in King’s Norton, Birmingham, Warwickshire d: 28 Feb 1919 Smethwick? King’s Norton? (Tin plate worker) (9)
                                     |       |       /George HICKMAN b: Abt 1805 Scotland Bentworth, Hampshire d: AMJ 1858 Wolverhampton (8)
                                     |       \Maria HICKMAN bap. 4 Nov 1833 Gornal,Staffordshire m. OND 1852 Dudley, d. 30 Dec 1907 Aston, Birmingham bur: 4 Jan 1908 Yardley cemetery (8)
                                     |               \Maria b: Abt 1801 d. JAS 1877 wolverhampton, staffordshire (8)
                             /Edgar Albert BARNETT b: 3 FEB 1895 in King’s Norton, Birm, d. 2 May 1958 Sparkhill, Birmingham bur: 8 MAY 1958 Solihull cemetery (food manufacturing processor) (9)
                             |       |       /Alfred WILLIAMS b: c1827 Ombersday?, Bromsgrove d: JAS 1872 Wolverhampton (Stonemason) (8)
                             |       \Annie WILLIAMS b: JAS 1867 in Cradley Heath, Worcestershire m. JAS 1887 Aston, Birmingham, d. JFM 1912 King’s Norton (8)
                             |               \Isabella PEARCE b: c1828 Bridgenorth, m: JAS 1846  Bridgenorth d: JFM 1870 Wolverhampton (7)
             /Bernard Albion BARNETT b: 27 FEB 1920 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, d. Jan 1994 Thanet (Postman & Butcher, Parachutist in war) (9)
Staffs:BARNETT,SAUNDERS/SANDERS,HICKMAN,GREGORY,WISE,GEORGE,ASTON, DAVENPORT/DEVONPORT
Bucks:PRATT,NUTT,STANNET,WELLS,MITCHELL,SEARES
Kent:GATES,BEACH/BEECH,HAMILTON,SCAMP,JOY,PEARSON,TURNER, KING,WILKINSON,HARRIS,JEWHURST,AVERY,FEATHERSTONE,REEVE,WILLARD, REYNOLDS,KEMSLEY/KIMSLEY,WILES,LEE,EPPS,FOX
Worcs:STOKES,HUGHES,FARMER,MULLET,TAYLOR,SOUTHALL
Ssx:BODLE,BUTLER,HOOD,DENNIS
Leics:DUDLEY,HUDSON,JEFFO,SHRIGLEY
Essex:PATIENT/PATIENCE,CASS,HOY,WATTS
Derby:PEARSON

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any information on a Sarah Barnett, wife of Daniel, who was residing with the Whitehouse family, Dudley Port, from 1851 onwards, please.
Her birth date is given as around 1806/1807 - born Tipton, Staffordshire ( might not be true!) I believe she is with Daniel in Sedgeley in 1841 -  but then I cannot track him down after that. In 1851 (mistranscribed on ancestry as Sarah Barneet) she is a visitorwith John and Ann Whitehouse, and in 1861 with the same family as a widow. Her children chop and change names a bit, too - to add to the mystery!
The only marriage I can find is in Uttoxeter in 1821, which would make Sarah only 14 years of age. :-\
The reason I am looking for information on Sarah is that she is an informant on the death certificates of Thomas Adams, his wife Nancy, and their daughter Ann Pearson - this may be because she is a kind-hearted neighbour, or that she MAY be related to the family.
As I have been really struggling to find Thomas's baptism and place of origin it's hoped that any information on those connected with him might give a vital clue towards breaking down my indestructible brickwall.
If anyone can help with any information I would be most grateful.
Thank you.  + good luck with your own research.
Paulene :)