Author Topic: At a Standstill!!!!  (Read 4874 times)

Offline brycewj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
At a Standstill!!!!
« on: Saturday 21 June 08 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've posted this on another subject but thought I'd give it another try on the Derry and Renfrewshire boards.

I'm looking for any information or any tips on my GGF:

Henry BRYCE/BRYCELAND/BRIESLAND/BRISLAND/BRESLAND/BRESLIN etc.
born abt 1813, married to Catherine LYNCH, born abt 1817.  Henry has been mentioned as a "horse dealer" and a labourer on several documents, but I've had no luck with any BMD's for him.  The Genealogy Center did find a possible, i.e. Henry Briesland who died 28 April 1870 in Culmore from a "Visitation of God"!

Henry & Catherine had four children: Mary (abt 1847), James (abt 1850), Rose Ann (abt 1853), and William (abt 1857).
Believe the family came from the Derry-Donegal border region ( Ballynagard, Kilderry, Culmore have been mentioned) but the family emigrated at some point to Greenock, Scotland. Catherine died there in 1886 as did the children; Mary 1897, James 1902, Rose Ann 1904, and William 1904, my GF.

Believe Rose Ann married a John Gallagher and they had a son, Henry, in 1880, baptised in St. Patrick's RC, Parish of Iskaheen, Diocese of Derry.
Rose Ann's maiden name was listed as BRESLIN and the parents townland was listed as Greenock. The sponsors were John & Hannah CLERY.

NB. Various surnames have been used on various documents, sometimes, even on the same document, e.g. on Rose Ann's Marriage Certificate, her maiden name is spelled Briesland, while her father's name is spelled as Bresland.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Bill Bryce
Roberts Creek, BC
Canada