Author Topic: Photo Restoration and Colourising.  (Read 41507 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Photo Restoration and Colourising.
« on: Saturday 22 January 05 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Kazza suggest I start a topic on photo Colourising and a bit of restoration as well.

Here's aquick example of what I mean by Colorising.

The photo is of Athlone Castle c1893. I only did the sky, castle and lamp post. The same techniques are used for skin tones whencolorising faces.

deadants

Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Restoration and Colourising.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 05 04:06 GMT (UK) »
If you wish to attempt this you will need software like Adobe Photoshop Elements aprox. £25.00
This has the ability to add layers.

Here are some tutorial links to get you started.

httpwwwsitepoint.com/blog-post-view.php?id=186357 link broken

http://www.absolutecross.com/tutorials/photoshop/photos/colorizing/

http://www.mandarindesign.com/tutorials/colorizing.html

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline louisem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 January 05 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those links. Have been playing around with photoshop and now you've inspired me to try colouring some of my old pictures.

Louise
Cardiff- Davies, Thomas,
Forest of Dean/Symonds Yat- Farr
Barnstaple - Symons
Bideford - Labbett
Newcastle Emlyn - Davies
Devonport - Budge, Goodman

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 January 05 10:04 GMT (UK) »
If you are using Windows XP or Windows 2000 Paint.net which is available on a free download from http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/ can handle layers .

deadants is being a little modest here, and colourising takes patience and skill especially to the degree that has been shown here.

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 January 05 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Well I didn't know about Paint.net, but if it has the capability to add layers then it should work with colorizing.

For those people who are reading this and wondering what layers are, Here's the description from the photoshop  help.

Layers allow you to work on one element of an image without disturbing the others. Think of layers as sheets of acetate stacked one on top of the other. Where there is no image on a layer, you can see through to the layers below. You can change the composition of an image by changing the order and attributes of layers. In addition, special features such as adjustment layers, fill layers, and layer styles let you create sophisticated effects.

I don't want to get too technical, as this is after all a genealogy forum not a graphics  forum. but some simple manipulation of photos can realy make a  difference to a web page or a printed form. So a few hours of playing around can give spectacular results.

I added one more photo to show that complex photos are done in little steps. An hour a day for about a week and this photo of my G Grandmother and her family would look stunning and make a great enhancement to your famil tree files.

deadants

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 January 05 22:10 GMT (UK) »
There was a post today about photo Restoration. and I just posted a reply.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,29377.0.html

If you think you would like to learn how it is done, Check this out. it's well worth a look.

deadants

http://digitalretouch.org/

Offline tallted

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 January 05 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi deadant.
Great site you have here. I need to ask though how you get your photos on the replie postings. I have tried and failed a number of times.  I kept the pictures down to 300kb combined and listed them under the Additional Options but I keep getting file name errors etc..
Ted
Surnames I am Interested in:
Dolan, Banks, Chambers, Bemi, Hills, Crowe

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 January 05 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ted, there are two ways of putting files on this forum. The first way is the way you are attempting which  is probably the easiest, then there is the bbcode but we will save that as a last option.
First make sure the file size is a small as you can make it without degrading the picture. Second, make sure it has a unique file name. Third make sure you have the right. file type, eg. txt, jpg, jpeg, gif, pdf, mpg, png, ged

If this doesn't work. I  will write a small tutorial on some of the ways to prepare a file for posting.

What graphics programme are you using.?

deadants

Offline tallted

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 January 05 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deadants,
I am using Adobe Photoshop 6. and I guess my question is where is the file name. Are you referring to what I put into the Additional Options fields?
Ted
Surnames I am Interested in:
Dolan, Banks, Chambers, Bemi, Hills, Crowe