Author Topic: Michael Smith 1896-1982 from Co Cavan  (Read 5530 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Michael Smith 1896-1982 from Co Cavan
« on: Sunday 22 June 08 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is my first post on this site and I've got my fingers crossed that someone can find more information - ANYTHING MORE- about my late uncle:

MICHAEL SMITH son of PATRICK SMITH and BRIDGET LYNCH, who was born 03 Mar 1896 in County Cavan, Eire, and died 29 Jun 1982 in Cameron Hospital, Windygates, Fife.
He married my aunt Janet Lundie Pearson Drummond on 24 Feb 1923 in Strathkinness, Fife and had nine children.
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jjcaffrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Smith 1896-1982 from Co Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 20:47 BST (UK) »

I tried looking here --> http://cavan.brsgenealogy.com/ to see how many Michael Smith’s may have been born in Cavan in 1896. While it’s not an incredibly large number, fewer would have been better. And there may be more that are not included in this data base.

Action   Source   Surname   First Name   Year   County
Church Baptism    Smith    Michael    1896    Co. Cavan
Church Baptism    Smyth    Michael Francis    1896    Co. Cavan

You could request a copy of the birth cert from the GRO (http://www.gro.ie/fees.htm) but you run the risk of multiple births in the same month. From my own experience, I would not feel too confident about the exact date in the register. Much of my family used their baptism date for their birthday and not once have I seen a register date match the stated birth date.  ;)

I’m no expert, but you may need to start with his marriage record in order to pin down a more precise birth location (townland/parish). With that information you could access the 1901 and 1911 Census records at a Family History Center (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp )which will provide more information about Patrick/Bridget and any siblings.

Good luck.
John

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi John

It was from his Marriage Register in New Register House, Edinburgh that I got his parents' details and his daughter who knows only that Co Cavn was his place of Birth.  More than that is up in the ether somewhere!

It being Eire, him being Catholic, Michael being a Saint and Smith ... it's a difficult one!

The IGI on the LDS site hasn't been of any help and so search will continue

Thanks for your input
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 21:07 BST (UK) »
The IGI on the LDS site hasn't been of any help and so search will continue

The information you are looking for here is really too recent for records in IGI. For example, IGI has many, not all, Irish births 1864 (start of civil registration) to c1882.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jjcaffrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 June 08 01:03 BST (UK) »
Ok, so here are some other thoughts, some that are helpful here in the US. Not sure how easy it is for your situation with Scotland.

Are there any Military records that might exist? Draft cards have been immensely valuable over here.

Did Michael ever apply for a passport, and is that information accessible?

When did he move to Scotland?  Would there be an immigration document?  I suspect not given the marriage date, but I thought I would ask.

When he moved to Scotland, did he go alone or travel with others, which might help narrow down the townland?

Finally, back to my original note, if you have a lot of free time, and patience, you can walk through each Parish individually and look for matches on Michael Smith's birth in 1896 at the BRS site. It's tedious (and even more so now that they have broken the parish info into the respective religions), but I have had success with that in the recent past. That will at least give you some additional information. 

You can likewise look for a potential marriage of Patrick and Bridget. This is trickier since you don't know when they married, and it is way more tedious than the Michael-birth exercise. Start with a date 5 years before Michael's birth (1891) and go with the +/- 4years. I would start with identifying the parish where Bridget Lynch may have married, and then for each match, see if there is a corresponding Patrick Smith. And if that parish lined up with Michael's birth, you could feel good, but  don't get overly optimistic or pessimistic since the marriage likely occurred in her parish, but they may have settled in his.

And who knows, you might be able to then use IGI to find the parents of Patrick and Bridget!

Best of luck.
John

Offline jjcaffrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 June 08 01:16 BST (UK) »
Closing thought, and depending on your financial situation and time table, you could pay the Cavan Genealogy Centre; or you could request the film of the quarterly index of births for 1896 from the LDS to identify the registration district; or you could shell out 20 euro to look at the 4 M Smith records at BRF to see if there is a Micahel Bridget connection.

Like so many things in life - time and money.

John

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 June 08 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks John, appreciate your help and advice.

The need to find out isn't too pressing and there are more than enough other searches to be getting on with meanwhile.

Everything 'taken on board' though and I will follow it all up in due course.

Chiad Fhear

Offline lundie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if it is of any help but we own the cottage in Strathkinness which used to belong to Janet Lundie Pearson Drummond. She acquired the property in 1937.The papers say that she was married to Andrew Drummond who died 17th Feb 1947. Janet died 20th Oct 1986. Oldest son David Laing Drummond lived at lundie Cottage and died 26th May1986. His widow then sold the cottage in1989.We acquired the papers along with the cottage in 1999.
There is no mention of anyone called Smith.
best wishes

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 August 08 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Lundie

It's a small world ... I'm just a few miles east from you in St Andrews.

Lundie Cottage in Strathkinness was the family home for a great many years  :D

Granny and Grandad ... Janet Lundie Pearson and Andrew Drummond lived there first then Uncle Dave and Auntie Isa with their son Andrew and daughter Helen after that.  I was only speaking with Andrew and Helen last Wednesday at a family funeral.

My Aunt had a lovely painting of the cottage at one time ... I must ask her daughter what happened to it.

Keep the kettle on the boil and be ready for a visit  :D

Chiad Fhear