Author Topic: O'Flaherty's of Inishmore  (Read 11847 times)

Offline steve-o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
O'Flaherty's of Inishmore
« on: Saturday 22 January 05 06:53 GMT (UK) »
I would like to contact my distant relatives in Aran.  I have photos of Ronan, age 4 in 1984 and Niamh also taken in 1984 at Gort na goppel ( I can not spell it correctly) when my Uncle John O'Connell visited.   I have other photos taken when my sister visited more recently.  If you are an O'Flaherty related to Ronan O'Flaherty in Aran, please respond and I will contact by email if it is possible. 
Hargreaves   O'Flaherty
Turner            O'Connell
Williamson
Whittaker

Offline LSchulte722

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: O'Flaherty's of Inishmore
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 05 19:50 BST (UK) »
 ??? I'm no help but I wanted to let you know I am also researching O'Flaherty (Flaherty) from Inishmore, Connaught and Aran.  Specifially, Roger (b? d?) child: Bartholomew (b. ? d. 1816/7 Nelson Co., KY) child: Martin William (b. 1800 Galway d. Nelson Co., KY).  Martin married Mary Juliann Flaherty (b 1805 Ireland d. Nelson Co., KY). 

Mary Juliann's father was Michael (b 1767 in Galway or Mayo d. 1834 in Nelson Co., KY).

Any help would be appreciated!  I'm at a dead-end!

Laura
Flaherty, Brady, McCauley, Jacques, Schulte,

Offline dikarch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 16:58 BST (UK) »
The O Flahertys were the biggest property owners in the Aran islands for along time, and there seat of power was Kilmurvey house in Kilmurvy Inishmore, which is still a thriving guest house, The family are now known as the Flaherty Johnstons, as the doyenne Brigid (Nee Kyne from Claregalway who was the district nurse)who died last year married twice. The family still own the heritage cetre at the cliffs of moher etc.. Of course there are other Flaherties but this would be a good place to start.
The O flaherty Clan were from Connemara and owned vast tracts of land there from which they harassed the English forces. many of their castles are still standing in and about connemara. The west Gate of of Galway city bore the legend 'From the ferocious O Flaherties good Lord deliver us,

Offline Mofsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 November 10 22:55 GMT (UK) »
this is to LSchjlte-l have a friend in Canada who is an O'Flaherty and related to the (O)flaherty Clan from Mayo.Maybe she can help with your search.She is on Facebook maybe you can drop her aline.

Offline doonaran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 12 12:37 GMT (UK) »
This O'Flaherty family is not the same as the O'Flahertys of Kilmurvey house. This Ronan that you seek is a son of Ronan senior who was a nephew of the writer Liam O'Flaherty. Sadly, Ronan senior died only yesterday.

Offline Mofsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 00:29 GMT (UK) »
This O'flaherty l'm looking for are from  LImerick - Denise and Ellen, farmer's  Ellen was a Danaher before marring Denise.,they Married on the 21st feb 1860 in the parish Athea.They had about 5 Children, their son Jas (James) was my grandfather , can you help me in anyway ?

Offline doonaran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I have no information on these O'Flahertys in Limerick. The O'Flahertys have spread far and wide but their ferocity has perhaps been toned down a bit over the years. The Aran islands have a huge number of the clan.

Offline OFlaherty75

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 January 13 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Im Niamh O Flaherty from gort na gcapall just saw your message today. The pictures are of myself and my brother ronan. I remember john o connell coming to visit us.

Offline David Bunzel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 May 16 04:38 BST (UK) »
This is way after the thread was started, but my relatives lived in Gort Na Goppel, a small townland near Killeagh in County Cork.  Considering there were only 3-4 families living here, I am sure my ancestors knew the others in this area.  My family name was Mountain.