Author Topic: KELLY or MANNIX families mid 1800's  (Read 795 times)

Offline sandieteddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KELLY or MANNIX families mid 1800's
« on: Sunday 22 June 08 15:56 BST (UK) »
I AM TRYING TO TRACE DESCENDANTS OF THE KELLY OR MANNIX FAMILIES WHO GREW UP AND LIVED BESIDE EACH OTHER IN THE 1840'S.

JOHN, MICHAEL, JOSEPH AND BRIDGET KELLY ALL MOVED TO MISSISSIPPI USA BETWEEN 1844 AND 1851.
JOSEPH MARRIED A LOCAL IRISH GIRL NAMED BRIDGET MANNIX.... THEY GREW UP TOGETHER IN CORK.
BRIDGET MANNIX HAD A BROTHER JOHN WHO ALSO MOVED TO USA - FREDERICKBURG, VIRGINIA THEN MOVED TO WASHINGTON WITH HIS WIFE MARY-ANN (ALSO IRISH) AND THEIR ONLY CHILD, SARAH ANN MANNIX *BORN 1851 IN NEW YORK).
WE KNOW THAT JOHN MANNIX TRAVELLED TO IRELAND IN 1873 LANDING IN QUEENSTOWN AND TRAVELLING AS FOLLOWS :-

I started from Washington on the 30th of July 1873 and arrived in New York the next morning. After arriving in New York I engaged passage on a steamer which was to sail on that day. We made the run fro N.Y. to Queenstown in 9 days where I landed. We had a splendid run of it going home and I enjoyed Myself splendid.

I stayed in Cork 3 days and then went to Limerick. After getting there I went in search of my Brother whom I found at his old station at the Limerick depot. When I went into the yard where the men at work I asked a small boy which happened to be Mick's son if there was a man name of Micke Mannix in the yard. He said there was and ran and told his father who came out at once. I asked him was his name Mannix. He said yes. I told him I had a letter from his Brother in America for him. He looked at me for a long time and talked. Still I did not let myself knowing to him. We had a long talk. Finally he knew me. He is looking well. I went home with him and remained there 3 days. James came in the next morning.

He is running an engine from Limerick to Waterford. He is a fine hearty fellow.
I went from Limerick to Kilrush. From then to Kilkee where I remained for 8 or 10
days, but it done me no good. Tell Bridget that Micke daughter is a fine young girl. I expect she is married by this time as she was on the eve of doing so when I was there. Micke has a very large family and it takes the poor fellow every cent he can make for to feed them.

If this is familiar to anyone locally please get in touch with me. There must still be Mannix relatives who had John and Bridget Mannix move to USA in the mid 1840;s...

Thanks
Sandra