Author Topic: Lincs, Stickney - Lawrence  (Read 8531 times)

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lincs, Stickney - Lawrence
« on: Monday 23 June 08 09:21 BST (UK) »
I have managed to trace my ancestry back to Stickney c.1800 when my Gt.Gt.Gt Grandfather Richard Lawrence (b.c.1780) married an Isabelle Groose (b.c.1788) in Stickney.  I have been unable to find a birthplace for Richard Lawrence.  Can anyone help me?

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lincs, Stickney - Lawrence
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 21:17 BST (UK) »
The marriage actually took place in 1803 at Stickney ... it's in my Lincs marriage index, but I don't have an exact date.

The National Burial Index has the following-

4 Feb 1835 Stickney ... Isabella LAWRENCE aged 51

An Isabel GROOSE was bap at Stickney 9 April 1784, dau of George and Sarah ... one of five kids born to them 1782-92.  There was a marriage of a George GROOSE to Mary COCK in Stickney 1781 but I can't find a marriage to a Sarah ... perhaps there was an error in the marriage register or in transcription.

I see Richard LAWRENCE and Isabella stopped having kids around 1819.  With this in mind, perhaps the burial of a Richard LAWRENCE 9 June 1820 (aged 45) is relevant - but this was at Freiston, 8 miles south of Stickney.

The IGI is playing up so I can't find anything on Richard LAWRENCE at the moment.

I see the LAWRENCEs had kids called George and Sarah
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 21:03 BST (UK) »
From the age of Richard Lawrence's first child I ascertained that the marriage was c.1803., although I was not aware that he died at the age of 45 in Freiston.  As my Gt.Gt.grandfather John (Richards son born 1811) was only 9 when his father died I wonder if the family them moved to Freiston as while they lived in Stickney Richard was a farmer of modest means, so perhaps they lost the farm after Richards death.  John & his Brother William eventually went to live and work in St.Pancras, Middlesex where John & his wife Caroline had a drapery and millinery business, and William had a glove manufacturing company.  I have always wondered where they would have got the money to start businesses like these in London and have considered the idea that their father may have left them a share of the family farm.  I still wonder and would like to know whether Richard was actually born in Lincs, or elsewhere.

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
There were no other LAWRENCEs buried at Freiston or Stickney in the period 1813-60.

There was an Ann LAWRENCE married a Richard WAKEHAM in Stickney in 1804.  Unfortunately, she died in March 1850 aged 77, so her precise birthplace (and possibly a hint of Richard's) remains a mystery.  It is given as Lincs in the 1841 census (her husband was from Devon).

There seem to have been no LAWRENCE marriages at Stickney before 1803.

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 June 08 18:11 BST (UK) »
Do you think that the Lawrence family may have come from a surrounding area i.e. Gosberton.  I looked on the IGI myself and found a Lawrence family in Gosberton.  Two Richards were mentioned.  Gosberton isn't very far from Stickney is it?

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 June 08 19:36 BST (UK) »
Gosberton isn't very far from Stickney is it?

Best part of 20 miles.  Too far for comfort really in my opinion.

There were LAWRENCEs in the Boston area too - with Richards marrying-
1728, 1740, 1773 at Boston
1755 Swineshead

Thanks for getting me to consider Gosberton!  I have just made progress on my EVERITT line, requiring only a 4-5 mile move to Sutterton. :)

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 June 08 22:00 BST (UK) »
Caroline Cavill (Cavell) John Lawrence's wife was also born in Stickney. 
Were this family originally from Stickney do you know?

I found that her sister Sarah was an authoress on the 1841/51 census.  I Would love to know what sort of subjects she wrote about.  Are there any records on this type of thing kept on records in Lincs?

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 June 08 22:43 BST (UK) »
I found that her sister Sarah was an authoress on the 1841/51 census. 

Where did you get that from? ???

1841 No occupation given.
1851 she was a School Mistress.
1861 Daughter of "House proprietor".

In Lincs, the name CAVELL/CAVILL is strongest in the Barton/Winterton/Goxhill area - up by the Humber.

EDIT: Burials
19 Aug 1839 John CAVELL (50)
10 Jan 1863 Elizabeth CAVIL (76)

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 July 08 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Looked up all of the census's re Sarah Cave(i)ll and even I am baffled as to where my info came from re her being an authoress.

I note though that Sarah was on the 1901 census as an annuitant which I presume is a pension which was paid from her employment as a school mistress.

I have a note of information regarding Sarah being troublesome in the local church.  From what I gather she was proclaiming her love aloud for someone in the congregation but I have been unable to make out to whom she was infatuated.  This note was sent to me recently by a chap who seems to know a lot about Stickney.  The note was found within the parish records.  I would love to know more regarding this lady and her family.  Would parish notes be for public knowledge/scrutiny?