Author Topic: Lincs, Stickney - Lawrence  (Read 8505 times)

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lincs, Stickney - Lawrence
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 September 08 20:35 BST (UK) »
Where do you get the two marriages from?

Richards last Will and Testament states:  This is the last Will and Testament of me Richard Lawrence of Stickney in the county of Lincoln, Farmer and Grasier being of sound mind memory................................................

Tessie

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 September 08 21:05 BST (UK) »
Where do you get the two marriages from?

In my Lincs marriage index-

1) a Richard LAWRENCE married an Elizabeth WALKER in Stow in 1800
2) a Richard LAWRENCE (wid) married Ann CUDBED (wid) in Coates by Stow in 1805

Children of Richard and Ann at Stow (from IGI) -
Charlotte 1806
William 1809

Stow
Richard LAWRINS? 65 Tailor
Ann 65
Both born Lincs

Richard LAWRENCE was buried at Stow 10 May 1850 aged 74

Stow
Ann LAWRANCE (wid) 74 Proprietor of Houses, Notts Thorney (5-6 miles south of Stow)
Charlotte WARD (dau,wid) 44 Stow
Henry WARD (gr son) 11 Wellingore

I don't doubt that your Richard LAWRENCE lived in Stickney.  I have serious doubts in believing that he was the one born in Stow (which, incidentally, is over 40 miles from Stickney).
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 14:22 BST (UK) »
On re-reading the Will of Richard Lawrence and also the various messages here another fact which may or may not help is that a Richard Wakeham was also one of the trustees mentioned in the Will.  You have mentioned a Richard Wakeham married to an Ann Lawrence who died aged 77.

Another two trustees were John Phillips and William Phillips (father and son perhaps???)

The Children mentioned in the Will are as follows:
George
Ann
William
John
Sarah
Mary

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 14:59 BST (UK) »
In view of the trusteeship, I guess it's possible that Ann LAWRENCE (who married Richard WAKEHAM) was Richard's sister.  We think she was born about 1773 (buried aged 77 in 1850).

It's possible (but it remains only a possibility without further proof) that she was the Ann LAWRENCE bap 19 Nov 1773 Boston*, dau of Richard and Elizabeth (nee CROWDER - they married 1773 Boston).  The only other child of theirs for which we have a baptism was Elizabeth in 1782.

We know there was no LAWRENCE baptism in Stickney before 1804 (Richard and Isabella's child), so your LAWRENCEs must have arrived from somewhere.

*Incidentally, the LAWRENCEs in Stow had a child christened just 2 days later.
An Elizabeth LAWRENCE was buried in Boston in 1785 aged 35.

The following year, a Richard LAWRENCE (wid) married an Elizabeth MELLS in Boston.

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 15:34 BST (UK) »
I have just gone through the IGI for various Ann's and Richard's births in Lincs to find parentage and found an Ann Lawrence born in Skirbeck 30.10.1772 to a John and Sarah Lawrence and a Richard Lawrence also born to a Sarah & John Lawrence  in Skirbeck in 1767 (died a few years later).  I also found another Richard born to the same couple in 1762??

I dont know the distances of these places from each other i.e. Stickney to Skirbeck - Stickney to Gosberton - Stickney to Boston. 

Stickney to Stow (40 miles)

I assume you are convinced now that my Richard Lawrence was NOT born in Stow?

Tessie

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 17:06 BST (UK) »
I dont know the distances of these places from each other i.e. Stickney to Skirbeck - Stickney to Gosberton - Stickney to Boston. 

Stickney to Stow (40 miles)

I assume you are convinced now that my Richard Lawrence was NOT born in Stow?

Tessie

Here's a map http://tinyurl.com/5emp3p

Stickney at top, Boston and Skirbeck to the south, Freiston to east of Boston, Gosberton in bottom left.

The map squares are 10km, 6.2 miles.

I've been convinced about the Stow Richard LAWRENCE for a while.  If I were a descendant of his and found that someone wanted to whisk him off to Stickney, I'd be quite upset!  :'(

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 19:48 BST (UK) »
Looking at the map I cannot believe how far from Stickney Freiston is.

Which beggars the question why did he go to Freiston to die?

I can see now that Skirbeck is fairly near Boston, but Gosberton is as far away from Boston as Stickney is from Skirbeck.

Another thought crossed my mind regarding the Will.  It is signed by someone who undersigned themselves Surragate.  The name above this is a Martha Gow/Goe/Gos/Gor.  Last letter difficult to read.  I know little of Will administration, so dont know if this means the writer stood in for Richard in writing it, and if so, I am also surprised it was a woman. Could she have been related - a sister maybe, or solicitors clerk.  Any suggestions ???

We are along the right lines in thinking that Richards parents were Richard and Elizabeth (Crowder) Lawrence then?

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 21:22 BST (UK) »
Looking at the map I cannot believe how far from Stickney Freiston is.  Perhaps you now realise how far it is to Stow!

Which beggars the question why did he go to Freiston to die?  Pass ... there were no other LAWRENCEs buried there

I can see now that Skirbeck is fairly near Boston, but Gosberton is as far away from Boston as Stickney is from Skirbeck.

Another thought crossed my mind regarding the Will.  It is signed by someone who undersigned themselves Surragate.  The name above this is a Martha Gow/Goe/Gos/Gor.  Last letter difficult to read.  I know little of Will administration, so dont know if this means the writer stood in for Richard in writing it, and if so, I am also surprised it was a woman. Could she have been related - a sister maybe, or solicitors clerk.  Any suggestions ???  I know nothing about will administration.  There's a whole book on the role of the surrogate here http://tinyurl.com/6g8bd8

We are along the right lines in thinking that Richards parents were Richard and Elizabeth (Crowder) Lawrence then?  Maybe or maybe not.  I think it's a possibility but, without proof it's not a leap of faith I'd be prepared to make.  You may have noticed that I'm not too keen on leaping to rash conclusions ;) The names of Richard and Isabella's kids don't help that leap do they?

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 September 08 23:09 BST (UK) »
Geoff

With reference to Sarah Cavell and my original comment that she was an authoress, I have just found the entry on the 1881 census for St. Pancras which states she is an annuitant and authoress.

Page 68 St. Pancras census 1881.

Take a look.

Tessiewessie