Author Topic: moffat of colvend  (Read 2484 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
moffat of colvend
« on: Monday 23 June 08 11:48 BST (UK) »
My g.g.g.g.g. grandmother was Martha Moffat born in 1728 somewhere in Colvend parish. She married a James Ker around about 1750. Can any one tell me more about the Moffat family of Colvend, thanking you stoop.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: moffat of colvend
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 June 08 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi stoop

I've checked the Monumental Inscriptions for Colvend but can't see any Moffat's listed.

The 1841 census only has one Moffat in Colvend that I can see - a Jane Moffat, aged 15-19 and a servant on a farm in Colvend.

The IGI has no Moffats being baptised there 1715-1875. A check on Scotland 's People (which has all the Church of Scotland baptisms that were recorded  in the Old Parish Registers) has not baptisms either.

There is no baptism recorded for Martha 1718-1734 anywhere in Kirkcudbrightshire. A search for the same period in the whole of Scotland has two records - in 1718 and 1721 both in East Lothian.  I can't find a marriage for her either,  anywhere in Scotland for 1745-1755

The family might well have been non-conformist of some kind.

Could you say where you found this information. It might help to track her down.

Regards

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: moffat of colvend
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget, the precise birthdate for Martha that I have is the 10th. of June 1728 at Ryes, Colvend parish. This information was given to me through one of my contacts, I will try to find the source of their data. Regards stoop.