Author Topic: Actress -Obit  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Dolly_007

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Actress -Obit
« on: Tuesday 24 June 08 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I posted earlier this month(1st June) Clare Harris looking for further info.

I have been able to confirm that she died 5th July 1949.
I have located her various performances in film and on the stage - but am struggling to locate any reference  to her death in newspapers etc .A very distant relative seems to think that she died " in a tragic way". The last reference to Clare is in the 1947 edition of the "Who's Who " Theater.

Cheers
Dolly
Ireland: Jackson,Storey,Harris
Ireland:Kirkpatrick,Moore.
Co Durham: Brough,Shields,Priestman,Stewart
Westmorland: Nicholson,Miller(s)
Liverpool:Edwards,Jackson,Mayston,Shepherd,Shepphard.
Holyhead:Roberts
Wrexham: Edwards

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Actress -Obit
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

A copy of her death cert will give cause of death.  However - I checked the full GRO index and there is no Clare Harris death in the September qtr of 1949 although there are several Clara Harris entries.

However – in your earlier post you give her birthyear as 1889/90 which would make her around 60/61 when she died.   None of the Clara Harris entries are in that age range
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 01:34 BST (UK) »
Using Google - it turned up your post on the Britmovie website where she is referred to as Helena Clare Harris.  Still no 1949 death entry under Helena
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Dolly_007

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thanks for your replies .
She was born in Co Sligo in 1889 as Helena Clare Harris ,she used  Clare Harris as her acting name,she appeared in numerous stage plays in the West End London and acted with the Old Vic and the Royal Shakespare Company-I have been lucky to purchase a few of the Theater programs from the performances she appeared in. I written to the various company's she appeared with, have not received any replies !.
I don't know if she married - I have searched the Free BMD'S and have seen the same entries that you have mentioned. Clare's father was a founder member of "well known" institute in UK and when he died 4 yrs after her,she was not mention in his obit either .

Cheers
Dolly
Ireland: Jackson,Storey,Harris
Ireland:Kirkpatrick,Moore.
Co Durham: Brough,Shields,Priestman,Stewart
Westmorland: Nicholson,Miller(s)
Liverpool:Edwards,Jackson,Mayston,Shepherd,Shepphard.
Holyhead:Roberts
Wrexham: Edwards