Author Topic: william murray benson  (Read 7934 times)

Offline cjs88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
william murray benson
« on: Tuesday 24 June 08 06:14 BST (UK) »
William Murray Benson was born about 1798 -1805 in Falkirk,Stirling,Scotland from an Alexander Benson and Elizabeth---.He married a Marrion/Marion/Mary Kay on12/10/1828 in Larbert,Stirling,Scotland.
He and his wife and 6 children came to Australia in 1843 as William worked for the Carron Iron Co.,in Falkirk and came to Richmond,NSW to work for this Co.
I have all the history in Aust but can go no further back than what I have told you.
Can anyone help with these Scottish roots.
Baker,Benson,Byrne,Coombe,Crisp,Day,Findlay,Furner,Hoare,Hough,Love,Luckman,Malden,Mullen,Ray,Reay,Rixon,Russell,Stanford,Stratton,Thew,Watson,Wood

Offline cjs88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: william murray benson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 09 01:32 BST (UK) »
An update on the above statement:
William's parents were Alexander Benson (ch.20/10/1779 in Stirlingshire,Scotland) and Elizabeth Williams(28/6/1806)
and Alexander's parents were :
William Benson and Elizabeth Duncanson who married on 30/7/1772 in Scotland.

If anyone can give me more information on the above I would appreciate it.
Thank you ,
Carolyn
Baker,Benson,Byrne,Coombe,Crisp,Day,Findlay,Furner,Hoare,Hough,Love,Luckman,Malden,Mullen,Ray,Reay,Rixon,Russell,Stanford,Stratton,Thew,Watson,Wood

Offline MarkNaus

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 09 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolyn
I am a descendent of Willam Benson via John Benson,
Mark
Sydney

Offline cjs88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Mark,
I am thrilled to hear you are related to Bensons.
I tried to send you a message yesterday but my internet kept dropping out so I am trying again.
I live in the Blue Mountains.
Do you come from John's daughter Eleanor or his son John Alexander Benson ???
Hope to hear from you soon,
Carolyn
I will send my email address later on a PM as they wouldn't allow it today.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 17:53 BST (UK) »
Carolyn

Mark need to have made a couple of posts on the main forum before he is able to use the PM service. Likely why you have not been able to send him messages through the PS system  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jagfeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 00:55 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this!
Am related to William Murray Benson. My grandmother Sarah Alberta Benson b. c1869 in Richmond, NSW, Australia, died 20th November 1968 in St. Joseph's Home Sandgate, NSW, daughter of William Benson b. 6th December 1832 in Falkirk, Scotland, died c1923, being son of William Murray Benson mentioned in previous post.   

Joanne, Melbourne, Australia :)

Offline mgalvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 July 13 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. My name is Michael Galvin.

I am researching the house Murray Benson had built when he moved to Richmond from Scotland in the early 1840s. The property was originally known as Tycawina. The second storey was added (I believe) by Emma (nee Benson - Alex Benson's daughter, Alex being a son of Murray) and Prosper Ridge, late 1890s/early 1900s.

I am doing this research because my wife and I are the very delighted owners of this beautiful property. We'd like to hang photos through the house of the generations that have lived in her, and we want to use the photos to help us get a better idea of the paint scheme originally used, and the gardens. We are totally committed to restoring her and the cottage as faithfully as possible.

Does anyone have any photos or memories of the house and gardens they would be prepared to share please? It would greatly assist us in the restoration. Thank you!

Michael

Offline jagfeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 July 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

Great to hear of your family restoring the old Benson home. Are you referring to Benson House in Francis Street Richmond?

Sadly I only have a couple of old photos of my Grandmother, Sarah Alberta Benson b. 1869 d. 20 Nov. 1968 daughter of William Benson. She was married to my Grandfather Clarence John Lawson. He actually passed away in 'Strathdon' now known as 'Lawson House' which is opposite Benson House.

Offline mgalvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 July 13 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Joanne. Yes we were aware the Bensons were involved in the building of the house across the road, but that's all we knew about it. So it seems the sisters lived close to one another, have I got that right? Or would Sarah have been Emma's niece/grand niece?? Strathdon/Lawson House is very lovely, in excellent condition.

Yes, Benson House is listed on Hawkesbury Councils' LEP . It's very atmospheric, and in a lovely setting. Very sound for its age. Walking into the yard is like entering a time-warp!

The information we have so far is scant and difficult to build a picture on. We are 'feeling our way'!
Thanks for your reply.

michael