Author Topic: PROFFITT and GARDINER - Brailes  (Read 12096 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: PROFFITT and GARDINER - Brailes
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 23 August 14 23:23 BST (UK) »
Thomas served in the 19 regiment of foot (The Green Howards) from 1803 (he was only 17) served in Ceylon and was discharged in 1820 his conduct was good but he was "worn out " when discharged.There are papers for his military service on both An..try and FindMyPast but not as much information as on other records I've come in the past.
Charles Howard was colonel of  Green Howards (their tunics had green linings) and Thomas Howard was Colonel of the Buff Howards or simply "The Buffs"
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Kohab

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 August 14 23:42 BST (UK) »
Some information on Esther Roadnight, wife of William Overton.

Approx 18 months after the death of her husband it appears Esther had a relationship with an u/k male which resulted in the birth of her daughter, Linda Jane Overton in 1878.

1891 census lists Esther as 54, bn Hampton Lucy, occ Laundress, living with daughter Linda in Snitterfield Rd., Hampton Lucy.

1901 census shows Esther as 66 yrs old a widower living Snitterfield Rd, Hampton lucy, two houses away from son Thomas. She is listed as an agricultural worker.

For your information, I have a photo of William/Esther's son Thomas.

Buriel record for 23rd March 1909 lists Esther as 74 years old from Hampton Lucy.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 23 August 14 23:46 BST (UK) »
Its good to have a bit more information it will save a longer search many thanks Kohab
Its a most unusual surname I wonder where it originated
Must sign off now see everyone next week hope you all find plenty more while I'm away
Happy hunting
Treea

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline bobalong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 August 14 16:33 BST (UK) »
Had an hour off from my husbandly duties because of good behaviour so I went up to Warwick RO to look for 007's wicked brother, bastardy bonds, on the off chance they have them catalogued. Unfortunately they don't so I took the references I need and will have to go back to look at the quarter assizes. I will look for Esther Overton as well, to see if she claimed.
There are some Overton's mentioned in the apprentice records, one of whom was a carpenter in Hampton Lucy,having James Hadlon as an apprentice. Most, if not all, of these records seem to pertain to residents of Warwick St Mary so I assume they were paupers apprenticed out.
There was also a reference to a Henry who went AWOL in Jan 1743-4 and was returned to Warwick St Mary's in the Poor Law records.

Bob

Offline Kohab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 August 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
Some more information on my wife's branch of the family.

William Overton and Esther Roadnight had four children

Fanny bn 1860
Thomas bn 1862, ch 27/07/1862
William bn 1870, ch 11/09/1870
Ann bn 1873, ch 17/05/1873

Then there was Linda ch 21/07/1878. 1891 census gives her age as 12. As William was buried 25/05/1876, it confirms that Linda was bn between 18 months and 2 yrs after Williams death.

Thomas had five children with Mary A Heath, all born Hampton Lucy.

Annie Gertrude, bn 1891, ch 5/7/1891
Thomas William, bn 1893, ch 5/3/1893
Linda Louise, bn 1896, ch 4/10/1896. m Charles Burnard. d 1943.
Beatrice Mary, bn 21/1/1898
Sidney John, bn 16/03/1899, ch 4/6/1899

For the record Thomas was buried 2/4/1914, H/L and Mary buried 16/03/1913, H/L.
If anyone is interested in any more, let me know, including Sidney's WW1 record

Offline Kohab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 24 August 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
I am sorry to do this, but can I throw a small spanner in the works?

The problem relates to the identity of the William Overton, who previously has been suggested to be the one born 1753 in Ufton. The problem is that marriage records for Fenny Compton list a wedding on 9/8/1783 for William Overton of Ufton and Anne Maycock of Fenny Compton. In addition burial records for Ufton list the death of William Overton for 6/2/1801.

The above would suggest that the William Overton we are researching is not the one from Ufton. More searching!

Offline Kohab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 24 August 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
I have been taking a look at the various possibilities for William Overton and have come up with several options. The best fit of year and location is for Long Itchington, ch 30/10/1748, son of John and Hannah Overton.

Your thoughts please.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 28 August 14 10:19 BST (UK) »
Bob can you check if they have any poor law records for Leamington or parish wardens accounts If she was claiming on the parish for the children you may find mention in those but I think the dates will be too late as once the workhouses were introduced such problems were no longer dealt with by the parish Just checked with the peter  Higginbotham siteLleamington priors was part of the Warwick union and the workhouse was well and truly in use by 1836 so I doubt we will find anything. shame
Even if she had come under the parish poor law she may not have needed to claim for Ellen as it looks like she was employed by Jesse in his laundry and he was watching out for them I don't think she needed to resort to charity.Shame it looks like you loose a strand from your sister's tree at that point I can help you with her mothers line though you should find her on my web site have a look and let me know where the gaps are that we can work on filling.

So now we need to address the problem Kohab has highlighted shame I thought mum was going to relate to dad ;D
Now lets

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 28 August 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
O.....kay so we have a big spanner thrown in
We have Richard Overton and Ann with 9 children baptised in Ufton including Thomas 1749 who married Sarah Hakesley(my tree) in Ufton in 1777 they had 4 children baptised in Ufton   so far so good Richard and Ann also had a William in 1753 who we thought married the two Elizabeths and was father of the transported William but this is where the big doubt sets in as there was a William from Ufton marrying in Fenny Compton on 9/8/1783 to Anne Maycock of Fenny Compton.
We also have the 1801 death fro William Overton in Ufton

So the question is what can we find about these Williams to sort them out.
As we already have looked at the William and two Elizabeths I'm going to start with the William and Ann and see what I can find

mcmullin.me.uk