Author Topic: Lord Melville Convict Ship to Australia 1816  (Read 17264 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Lord Melville Convict Ship to Australia 1816
« on: Saturday 22 January 05 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
I hope I'm posting this in the right place, but about a year ago when researching my ancestor John Gurner, who went out to Australia in 1816 with his wife Rebecca on the Lord Melville ship to work in the judicial service there, I came across the list of poor souls who were on this particular ship.  There was a crew of 27 or 28 officers and men, about 9 passengers; and then a list of about 117 women, either wives of convicts already in the colony, or recently convicted of a variety of offences; plus about 38 children, accompanying their mothers.
What conditions were like I can only imagine - desperate, no doubt.  I sometimes wonder what John Gurner thought of it all.  Anyway, there is a list of approx 190 named individuals, and against the women's names is their place of origin - or possibly where they were tried and found guilty.
I'd be glad to look-ups for anyone on this list.
Examples:"Esther Sadler, alias Barton or Barrett/Barnett of Worcester
Hannah, wife of John Whiteley alias Wilkinson, of York

Keith

Offline apa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Melville Convict Ship to Australia 1816
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 05 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from Canberra Keith.  I'd like to take you up on that lookup offer.  I'm looking for a Sarah, wife of Zenophon or Xenophon BASHAM who reportedly came to our fair shores aboard the Lord Melville to join her miscreant husband who arrived in 1811.  My wife is a remote descendent of Z/X & Sarah.

see http://www.elaunceston.com/launcestonhistory/2004/basham.htm

many thanks, Alan
Arnold (Australia & Channel Is), Biggs/Begg & Cummings (Gippsland, Australia), Moore (Tasmania), Sturtevant

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 05 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,
At last! - It seemed as though my posting was disappearing without any takers, so here is the brief information I have.  There were 27 or 28 officers and crew on The Lord Melville.  Listed underneath are the names of 9 passengers, including Baron Field who was a bigwig in the judiciary system; then are listed under "wives of convicts already in the colony"  11 women and their 11 children.  Thereafter there is a long list of 106 convicted women and 27 of their children
In many cases the places where the families are from (or possibly where the mother was convicted) are given, but not in the case of those wives going to join their already convicted husbands.  Between a Johannah Desmond and a Mary Jones are: Mary Basham
                 Child Basham
                 Child Basham
                 Child Basham
                 Child Basham
So, the forename seems to be wrong for the mother, though there are all kinds of aliases for some of the other unfortunate women listed below.  A pity, too, that the children's forenames are not known, therefore not their sex.
But at least you know they were on the Lord Melville in 1816 (arrived in 1817, I believe), and how many children set out.
I hope this has been of some help,
Best wishes,
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 March 05 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Alan,
I was so busy sending you my information, it wasn't till afterwards that I had a look at the fascinating details on the website you gave.  Sarah Basham is most clearly named, as are her four children.
Perhaps she mumbled her name to whoever was making the crew list, anxious at the time about how the whole venture would turn out...
Keith

Offline apa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 March 05 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Keith.  As it happens I just stumbled across the Sarah/Mary conundrum an hour ago myself.  If you search the following for Basham, you'll find the 4 children (ages given) and Mary but no Sarah!

Ships Muster index.  Passengers and Crew Departing NSW, 1816-1825
http://svc007.bne009i.server-web.com/catalogue/onlinebook/public/searchship.ehtml

regards, Alan

Arnold (Australia & Channel Is), Biggs/Begg & Cummings (Gippsland, Australia), Moore (Tasmania), Sturtevant

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 March 05 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Alan,
I imagine the error with the Mary forename was simply perpetuated when a database was put together - but at least in this case you know what the truth of the matter was - Sarah!
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 March 05 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Alan,
Today I've received an e-mail from a man living in Brisbane, Australia who is in the process of writing about "The Lord Melville", following its voyage and subsequent fate/histories of everyone on board.  He's doing the writing part-time, as he's pretty much fully employed on other things, but he hopes to publish the book next year, entitled:"In the Wake of the Lord Melville."  I'll contact you off this site with more specific details, but maybe he still has room for your fascinating Basham family story, if he hasn't already come across your website.
Exciting news for us, anyway...
Keith

Offline Minniej

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 February 09 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi apa. Ive just stumbled about Xenaphon Basham.  Loks like he is my 5 Great Grandfather.   If you are still around in here and read this i would love more info

thanks
Minnie
SMYTH/ Barnstaple/torrington/Marwood/
Clark/ Deal Kent
Blackmore /Devon
Hubbard
Skelton
Tremayne
Whitehurst
Ablitt
Shaw  / Ralston / Campbell Greenock Scotland

Offline stackety

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 January 11 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi I too have just stumbled onto here in search for more info on Zenophon BAsham and family. He is my great grandmothers great- great grandfather. If anyone has some info would love to hear from you
Bairstow, Basham, Croston