Author Topic: Lord Melville Convict Ship to Australia 1816  (Read 17186 times)

Offline Mariea Christoforou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Melville Convict Ship to Australia 1816
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 August 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith,

Thank you for replying so soon to my email. Yes, I believe Eliza married John 2 weeks after they arrived. Quick work indeed! Yes her mother Mary Ann, or Ann, Allen also known as Streeter (formerly married to another convict George Streeter who came out on the Grenada in 1819), Hunter and Nicholls sounds like a very interesting character wwith all of her aliase! She is a direct ancestor of mine having married Josiah Allen (my ggg grandfather, also a convict, sentenced together with Mary Ann but later came out on the Fame in 1817. I was trying to find information about his father William Allen a convict who came out on the Surrey in 1814. I live in Sydney and so will certainly endeavour to buy the book. Many thanks for your help.  Cheers Mariea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 August 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith,

I am also trying to find out information about Samuel Beaman a convict who came out to NSW on the Captain Cook on the 26/8/1833 from the London Gaol Delivery. Is it possible to trace any family members who were left behind in England.I believe he was married to a Mary Humphries in Middlesex and had two Sons a Richard and a Samuel at the time he was transported. At some stage he applied to re-unite with them in the colony but I don't know whether they came.
Thanks again for any information you may offer.  Mariea

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 August 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
Samuel BEAMAN aged 32 years, arrived 26 August 1833 per the ship Captain Cook (2).  (ie the second voyage of that vessel to bring convicts to NSW).  Samuel was recorded on the indents as a Protestant, could read and write, married with 2 male children, and a native of Middlesex.  His trade/calling was as a Coachman, Carman.  He was tried at the London Gaol Delivery on 3 January 1833, and was found guilty of the robbery of a man. This was his first conviction, he received a sentence of seven years transportation.  He was 5 ft 7 inches tall, with a dark ruddy complexion, his eyes were hazel, hair brown…   See Convict no. 33-1686, Indent no. 081, NSW state archives. 

He received his Ticket of Leave in 1837 (37/1483) and was allowed to remain in the Parramatta district. See reel 928 at NSW state archives.

I have not found Mary (nee Humphries) nor their sons Richard and Samuel in my NSW offline records, but I am still searching through these.   I will check through my Bowman files too, for Beaman may well be mistaken for Bowman when either transcribing long hand NSW 19th century handwriting or even when spoken aloud from various accents...  :)

JM (edit to correct spelling !  :-[  :-[  :-[ )
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 August 18 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Majm...
Now, Mariea, if you can get hold of a copy of that Lord Melville book too you'll have done very well out of your queries on this thread!
Will try and see whether there is a Mary Beaman and young family in the 1841 Census, but they might be elusive...
Keith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 August 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith,
Thank you soo much for all your efforts to find information for me. I really do appreciate it!
Do you know where Mary Ann Allen would have been sent when she arrived in the colony?
Did you find any information about Josiah Allen, Mary Ann's husband and partner in crime? He was transported on the "Fame" on 9th Oct 1816, arriving in NSW on 8th March 1817? Or his father William Allen, a convict transported on the "Surrey"  tried at the Warwick Assizes on 14th August 1813 and transported to NSW, arriving on 28th July, 1814?

Many thanks
Mariea

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 August 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

William ALLEN has an alias:  Thomas ELDRIDGE.   He was tried London.  His ticket of leave in 1849 allowed him to remain in the district of Windsor, NSW.    I have a lot of info on him.  I will dig it out and share tomorrow (it is 7:47 pm here).

ADD  a life sentence from London, plus additional colonial convictions.

JM 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
The reporter has made the following comment:
Thank you for your information, however the Willaim Allen I am looking for was tried at the Warwick Assizes on 14/8/1813 and was transported on the Surrey arriving in NSW on 28/7/1814. Mariea

Posted on behalf of Mariea who clicked on the report to moderator button instead of the reply button ;) Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 August 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
 :)

Yes, the William ALLEN, alias Thomas ELDRIDGE, was tried at London Gaol Delivery, arrived per Surrey in 1814 and because of a colonial conviction was issued with a Ticket of Leave number 49/0077 by the Bench at Windsor.   

Reel 961 at the NSW Archives will include the original butts.

He may have been a witness at the Newcastle NSW marriage of Robert YOUNG and Martha WILLIAMS 6 August 1818.

He was (as William ALLEN, per the Surrey) recorded in the NSW 1828 Census at Port Macquarie, serving a life sentence.   

There is a burial registered at St Matthews Church of England, Windsor by the Rev Henry T Stiles, for a William ALLEN, aged 55, died 14 August 1851, Windsor Hospital, buried 15 August 1851. 

The Convict Indents for July 1814:
William ALLEN alias Thomas ELDRIDGE, aged 21 years, born London, a Groom.  5 ft 5 inches tall, fair complexion, Dark Brown hair, Hazel eyes.  Trial London Gaol Delivery 17 Feb 1813, sentenced to Life.  Transported per Surrey arriving 28 July 1814.

Colonial Sentence:
2 August Sydney Criminal Court, sentence to Life, transported to Newcastle NSW   
Ticket of Leave issued 1849,  49/77
Original Remarks noted "Transported for Life to Newcastle 2 August 1817 by the criminal Court Sydney, again 25 January 1819 for the remainder of the original sentence by the Sydney Bench for street robbery"  NSW Archives, perhaps reel 940.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 24 August 18 08:07 BST (UK) »
 :)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2177526 Sydney Gazette 19 October 1817.
Robert Wilson, and Bernard or Borach Levy, were capitally convicted of a burglarious entry into the store of W. H. Moore, Esq. and stealing therefrom three casks of wine, his property; as was also, William Allen, as being accessary to and after the fact; and likewise, Alexander Thompsey, as receiver of part of the said wine knowing it to be stolen.-All remanded for sentence; and Charles Lunt, who appeared as a witness on the prosecution, was committed by the Court to take his trial for the crime of wilful & corrupt perjury.

JM