Author Topic: MI's for Kirkmaiden, Stoneykirk and Kirkmadrine  (Read 91876 times)

Offline beannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MI's for Kirkmaiden, Stoneykirk and Kirkmadrine
« on: Wednesday 25 June 08 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I thought I would follow Terry's lead and offer look up's for these Graveyards.
Regards
Beenie
Milwain, McTaldroch, McCulloch, McMillan, McCracken, Muir/Moore, Hill, Little,
McGaw, Kirkmaiden/Stoneykirk
Carmont Isle of Man/Liverpool/ Manchester
Hines, Mulvey Ireland/Manchester

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MI's for Kirkmaiden, Stoneykirk and Kirkmadrine
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 June 08 08:24 BST (UK) »

Hello Beannie,

As Terry lives in the Border Country, it's quite a toddle to the Kirkmaiden area for him. However, it's an even longer one from here in Melbourne, Australia! I'm only kidding, of course.

I saw your most generous offer and wondered if I could ask you, very nicely, if you could have a look for me at Kirkmaiden, Wigtown. I get the strong impression that my Great-Grandfather's first wife, Elizabeth, would be buried there. She was Elizabeth Ferns who died in 1873 at Kirkmaiden in Wigtownshire. I believe that her Maiden Surname was McDonald. My Great-Grandfather died about 11 years later in Glasgow at the age of 48, so I would think that Elizabeth would have died when she was in her 30's.

Very many thanks and best wishes.

Tom.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 June 08 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I thought I would follow Terry's lead and offer look up's for these Graveyards.
Regards
Beenie

Hi Beannie,

Thanks very much for the offer it's a longshot but are there any Brawl/Broll/Broal or any other variation of this name on your MI's.

Regards

Terry (her not him)
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline beannie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 June 08 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry,
I'm sorry there aren't any Broll/Brawl or anything near in any of the MI books I have.
Kind Regards
Beenie

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 June 08 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Beenie,

Many thanks for trying and it's back to the drawing board!!

Regards

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline beannie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 July 08 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
I'm sorry there are no Ferns or McDonald's in the kirkmaiden MI book, but there are four McDonald's in the Stoneykirk book, which is the next Parish to Kirkmaiden. Do you know if Elizabeth was from this area? If so I can  send the MI's to youas they may be her relatives.
Kind Regards
Beenie

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 July 08 00:57 BST (UK) »

Hello Beannie,

You're "a good 'un" for getting back to me so quickly, and I really appreciate that.

Well, thanks to your kindness, I can rule out one area and concentrate on a more hopeful area. To be perfectly honest, I knew very little about
Elizabeth McDonald for a long, long time, and still don't know very much about her family. Still, I'm a wee bit like a little West Highland terrier that we used to have - I don't give things up very easily once I get my teeth into it!

Yes, I would welcome any information that you may have, because I have all the time in the world to examine it and try out a number of techniques that I'm working on. You know, Beannie, it's people like yourself who really make my day. No fuss and splutter - just a friendly helping hand, and that's how many of us on RootsChat like it.

My very best wishes.

Tom.

Offline beannie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 July 08 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
Here are the MI's in Stoneykirk cemetery

Erected by David McDONALD in memory of Hugh McDONALD his father who died 25th Decr. 1877 aged 77 years. Also Agnes FLEMING his wife who died 24th Augt. 1877 aged 76 years. Also Catherine BATHGATE, wife of the above David McDONALD who died 14 Jany. 1887 aged 50 years.
How sweet they sleep beneath the sand, Relieved from every pain. Their precious dust the cure of God, And recieved to life again.

Erected by the family in memory of James McDONALD their father who died 25th Novr. 1883 aged 94 years. Also Jane McCUBBIN  thier mother who died 14th June 1861 agecd 64 years and Rachel McDONALD their sister who  died 17th Novr 1875 aged 45 years.

(small granite stone - Regimental badge) 1100 Sarjeant R. McDONALD K.O. Scottish Borderers 24th October 1915.
checked CWGC K.O. stands for King's Own, and age unknown.

In memory of Helen PETTIGREW beloved wife of William MARSHALL late farmer, Claycroft Stoneykirk who died 16th May 1873 aged 76 years. Also the above William MARSHALL died at Claycroft Stoneykirk who died 4th March 1878 aged 84 years. Also their son Samuel MARSHALL late tenant Claycroft who died 15th Feby 1897 aged 57 years. Also Margaret MARSHALL beloved wife of John McGILL and daughter of the above who died at Avon cottage Stranraer 2nd Aug 1906 aged 71 years, Also their daughter Helen MARSHALL who died at Claycroft Stoneykirk 19th Jan 1909 aged 78 years Also John McGILL who died at Avon cottage 4th January 1910 aged 75 years. And Sarah MARSHALL widow of Charles McDONALD died 1st July 1915 aged 76 years. (Reverse) Also Helen McGILL died 15th May 1936 aged 73 years. And Margaret Jane McGILL died 29th January 1954 aged 84 years. Daughters of the above said Margaret MARSHALL and John  McGILL

On the 1841 census at Caldons Stoneykirk
John McDonald 45 Ag lab born Ireland with his wife Janet 36 and children John 14, Janet 12, Agnes 9, Charles 7, Elizabeth 5 and Jean 2 all born Wig
I don't know if this could be your Elizabeth ?

I hope this helps and isn't too confusing
Kind Regards
Beenie

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 July 08 11:07 BST (UK) »

Hi Beannie,

Gee, I like the look of that latest piece of work that you've done. There are certainly some names in there that I recognise from my notes, e.g. McGill's. However, that Irish connection at the end of your posting is the jewel in the crown. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions at this stage. I think that this is one of those occasions when I turn to our good friends in Ireland who have been corresponding with me in recent weeks.

Time and time again, I have hit this kind of Irish connection, and things appear to get tantalisingly clearer, but, there just isn't sufficient proof for me to insert it into my Family Tree. There are a great many sites in the Emerald Isle that people have been kind enough to give me, and I will work my way through them to see what I can come up with.

Again, thanks a million for a job really well done.

My very best wishes.

Tom.