Author Topic: 5th Dragoon Guards Uniform??  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Russell V R Ord

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Ords of Durham and Yorkshire
    • View Profile
5th Dragoon Guards Uniform??
« on: Thursday 08 April 04 14:11 BST (UK) »
Is this a photo of a 5th Dragoon?

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
Re:5th Dragoon Guards Uniform??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 04 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Russell
afraid i cant answer your question, BUT he must have been quite an important person to have had his photo done by Lauder Bros.
"The lafayette studio was founded 1880 in Dublin by James Stack Lauder,who used the professional name of James lafayette."
there is more info about this and LOADS more photos by the studio at
http://www.lafayette.150m.com/thumbsmilitary.html
and if you send the photo to
vanda.images@vam.ac.uk  they could probably help, as they still have many of the original negatives available,
hope this helps,
jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline Dijon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 5th Dragoon Guards Uniform??
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Russell,

I have two books on the 5th Dragoon Guards with notes on the Officer's uniform from 1685 to 1913.
One paragraph dated 1856 quotes that "An alteration was made in the Stable-jacket, which was of scarlet cloth, single breasted, with a plain green velvet collar rounded in front. the cuffs were pointed, of green velvet, 2in deep at the back seam and 3in at the front seam, with two small buttons at the wrist.
There were ten small regimental buttons down the front at equal distances, and on each shoulder a gold cord with a small button, other articles of dress remained as heretofore".
In 1859 a new type of Forage-cap was introduced. It was of blue cloth, without a peak, and encircled by a gold band of the regimental lace 1 and 3/4 in wide, with a gold-netted purl button on the top, and with a narrow black patent leather chin-strap.
There doesn't seem to have been much change from that date to when the photo was taken.
Hope this is of some help.

Dijon.

Census and BMD information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Taken/ Takon/ Tacon One Name Study
Farn   (Essex & Rugby) Hyland  (Croydon & Stanmer Sussex)  Lyddon  (Marylebone)  Lamborn /Lambourn (Ludgershall Bucks )  Taylor (Dorset)
Wickens  (Croydon & Sussex)  White (Croydon)
Mellows  (Chelsea & Kent)  Burkill  (Luddington, Lincs/Reedness, Yorkshire)  Lee (Bethnal Green)
Creasey (Ponders End)  Eastmead (Gloucester)