Author Topic: GERMANY: Baker - from Nassau, Germany  (Read 18298 times)

Offline Pysie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: Baker - from Nassau, Germany
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 May 09 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, Stuart,

Following the messages here, there are now eight descendents of the Baker brothers who are corresponding and sharing information by private group email. I know Johann Lassman was not a Baker, but he was a member of the Rhine Band and must have known the brothers really well.  There were quite a few German musicians living in south Sussex at the time and I am sure they all knew each other.

Did your Johann come from Nassau? We have been trying to trace the Baker family back to their German roots and wonder whether there might have been a mass exodus of musicians from some music school when the Prussian war began.

We have a photo of the Rhine Band members which we can share with you. You may be able to pick out your Johann.

Can you please send me a personal message and I will let you have my email address. (Click on my name and then click 'send a personal message'.) I am sure the other 'Bakers' would be happy for you to be included in our group.

I was going to buy a copy of 'A Town's Pride' but I was told there was no real information about the Rhine Band in it. Do let me know if it is worth purchasing.

Look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes,
Cathy
Oldfield, Boreham, Smith, Seaton, (Middx, G London)
Baker (Middx & Brighton, from Nassau, Germany)
Pye (Middx from Exeter)
Street, Thelluson (Sussex)
Sisley (Kent)
Garbutt (Yorks)
Bowles (NSW Australia)
Smith!!!!! (Limpsfield, Surrey. and Sheffield, Yorks)
Holgate, Coop (Yorkshire)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 May 09 23:26 BST (UK) »
I've looked in "Die Wandermusikanten von Salzgitter" book by Alfred Diek, to see if Lassman(n) or Baker/Becker are indexed but unfortunately not.   The book only mentions Salzgitter because of the annual music fest; most of it records a group of musicians travelling the world and meeting up with other musicians.

Good luck,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline nairobi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 September 10 09:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Pysie,
 By chance i have found this website, having asked 'Google' for help in searching B.M.D in Germany. Your message  from June 2008 leapt out at me  because I, too, am researching the Baker family.
It appears to be the same family as yours. Phillip, born1847 Nassau, is the GT Grandfather of my son-in-law (on whose behalf I am doing the research)  Family talk says that the brothers formed a band,
So you and he, have now found other family members. Isn't it exciting?

I am in need of finding their Roots in Germany, I am not asking you to share this info unless you feel happy to do so, but  a direction to a source of information would be very helpful for me to follow up. If you would like to make personal contact I will suggest this to my son-in-law
He lives in Hampshire.

Best wishes

nairobi

Offline ExpatOrange

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 September 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Cathy,

I am also researching a Baker family member from Nassau. He is John Henry Baker b.1832, emigrated to Australia ca 1854. He went by the name of Henry. A little earlier than the Bakers mentioned here, but nevertheless there is a possible connection through his birthplace in Nassau. This is given as his birthplace on his marriage record in Armidale NSW. Unfortunately, he wasn't a professional musician.

Has the been any advance in your research into the origins of your family in Gemany? Does it show any connection to a (Johan) Heinrich? I am particularly interested in the spelling of the original surname of your Bakers, as it may give a clue in tracking down emigration/immigration records.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Offline ndc64uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 September 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Pysie/Cathy/Ann et al, Nairobi (my mother-in-law) has suggested I join this site and make contact as I am descended from Philipp Baker. She was doing some research for me and suggested it would make sense for me to make proper contact.

As far as we can tell Philipp had a son (also) called Philip, who had a son - Guy Christian Baker, who had a daughter Iris Valerie Louise Baker who was my mum! There are numerous additional brothers and sisters who I won't list now but would be very keen to find out from you what you know of the family and would be keen to help you fill in any of the gaps from my side.

Let me know the best way to make contact?

Regards from Hampshire,

Neil

Offline Pysie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 September 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, everyone!

How wonderful! Lots of new relations!

Ann and I are in touch with other descendents of Johannes, Phillip and George. We have loads of information and photos. Although we haven't yet traced the Bakers back in Germany. we have a few leads.

I have my grandson staying at the moment so will reply more fully next week and let you have my email address.

Best wishes to all,
Cathy (Norfolk UK)   
Pye (Middx from Exeter)
Sisley (Kent)
Garbutt (Yorks)
Bowles (NSW Australia)

Offline Pysie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 September 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, Nairobi, Matthew and Neil, (and Ann, Rena and anyone else!),

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but it is great to know there are other Baker decendents  around. I hope we shall be able to compare notes and build up a comprehensive family tree, and to trace the tree back into Germany.

I must admit I have not done much resarch this year. I have some thoughts about tracing baptismal/marriage/death certificates but the relevant information is not on-line and I can't find anyone who speaks fluent German and who would be willing to write a few letters on our behalf for a modest charge. Professional researchers are so expensive. I shall make it a halloween resolution to crack the German link!

As mentioned, Ann and I are in touch by email with ten other decendents from the 'original' Baker brothers (Phillipp, George and Johannes). They in turn are in touch with many other decendents. One of our relations has written a book about decendents of Joseph (a son of Johannes) who settled in Canada. There are hundreds of Bakers in Canada and the USA now!!! It is hoped we might be able to gather enough information to publish a similar book about the other Bakers. Also, we have several old photos including one of the brothers and their wives and one of the Rhine Band which, I am sure, the owners would be prepared to share with you.

Please can you email me direct at   (*)   and I shall give you more information and put you in touch with the other Bakers. Although we haven't had much contact with each other over the past year, we normally email the whole 'family' with any information so we all know what is going on.   

(This message keeps going off the page so I shall sign off now and post another message.)
Cathy

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

The Rootschat personal message system will be automatically activated
when a member has made two or three posts on the boards.
See Help-Page: http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Pye (Middx from Exeter)
Sisley (Kent)
Garbutt (Yorks)
Bowles (NSW Australia)

Offline Pysie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 30 September 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, again, folks,

Matthew - it would be lovely to think we had a link. Who knows? Perhaps your John was our Joseph's brother? Unless we can find BMD/census information in Nassau and passenger lists to confirm it, we can never be sure.

I think we have two problems. One is that we don't know the original spelling of Baker (Becker, Baaker?). At the last count there were 28 possible spellings. The other problem is that Nassau was a principality - like Luxumbourg - and covered a vast area. Immigrants from Germany to Britain, and possibly to other countries, often put 'Nassau' as a birthplace on their census forms because they knew they would be accepted as refugees. A quick look at the British censuses will show how many 'Bakers' were born in Nassau!

Anyway, lets hope ...... .

Regards to all. Hope to hear from you soon

Cathy
Pye (Middx from Exeter)
Sisley (Kent)
Garbutt (Yorks)
Bowles (NSW Australia)

Offline ndc64uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 October 10 10:12 BST (UK) »
Cathy, thanks for your reply - unfortunately the Rootschat system has removed your e-mail address!! So what is the best way to make contact?

We are also pretty close to Worthing so if there's any research you need doing over there please let me know, we'd be happy to help?

Likewsie we are struggling with the link back to Germany nad have also trawled through passenger lists. I'm thinking the best bet may be to head over to Nassau for a week with someone who speaks German!

Neil