Author Topic: GERMANY: Baker - from Nassau, Germany  (Read 18306 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: Baker - from Nassau, Germany
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 October 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

if you can't see a green scroll under your profile info to the left of your reply, then just make another posting. This will activate the PM system and you can then send private and personal data to each other :)
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php  (see image at bottom of page)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline DDuck

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 07 February 11 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Every one. I too am related to Johannes Baker and my brother is in contact with you Ann.

Just thought it was very interesting that I am also in Hampshire although I was born in Blyth,  Northumberland.

I am also a violinist and play the piano. Not as good as the Rhine Band but its nice to know where the musicality came from.

I would love to find some evidence of them playing for the royals. The nearest I've been is sleeping outside the night before Charles and Diana's wedding and watching them ride past at a rate of knots after the wedding!
 ;)

;D

Offline Pysie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, DDuck,

I tried to send you a 'personal message' but, appartently, I am not allowed to do so until you have posted 3 times!!!

I am in touch with several descendents of the Baker brothers and thought you might like to join the clan, as it were. To this end I was trying to send you my email address - something that can only be done in a personal message and not on the boards.

If you want to get in touch, please post 2 more messages - they need only say 'hello'! Alternatively, you could try and send a personal message to me but I don't know if you would be allowed. (Just click on my name and then on 'send personal message'.) Either way, your own personal email address and identity will NOT be disclosed.

Kind regards,
Pysie
Oldfield, Boreham, Smith, Seaton, (Middx, G London)
Baker (Middx & Brighton, from Nassau, Germany)
Pye (Middx from Exeter)
Street, Thelluson (Sussex)
Sisley (Kent)
Garbutt (Yorks)
Bowles (NSW Australia)
Smith!!!!! (Limpsfield, Surrey. and Sheffield, Yorks)
Holgate, Coop (Yorkshire)

Offline ndc64uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 14 July 12 18:00 BST (UK) »

We have just got some information from the records people at Bistum Limburg who look after the records for Wilsenroth. 

We have ten documents dating back to 1797 as follows: (The surname is consistently spelt Backer (with an umlaut over the a)).

Four birth entries for the "boys" (Philip Bartholomew b1846, Johannes b1849, George Boniface b1852 and Christian Otto b1855)
Marriage entry for their parents in 1845 (Joseph Backer and Anna Katherina Hess)
Entry for Joesph's death in 1875
Entry for Anna Katherina's death in 1889
Birth entry for Joseph Backer in 1818 (showing parents as Joesph Backer (yes another one!) and Anna Katherina (and another one!) Jung)
Birth entry for Anna Katherina Hess also in 1819 (showing parents as Johannes and Anna Maria Hess)
Marriage entry in 1797 for Joseph Backer and Anna Katherina Jung (not sure about this one as it's very had to read)

We are busily trying to glean some more information from them (my German is not great!). If anyone wants more info please let me know?

Neil

Offline silverwing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 28 July 17 01:46 BST (UK) »
Greetings from America!  I am the 3x great granddaughter of Philipp Baker, and I was very excited to find this thread about him and his brothers!  I've been trying to discover more about his family and his connection with the Rhine Band in Worthing, England.  His daughter May Emily Baker married Ernest Hemming, and their two sons (my great grandfather) were born in the States.  Unfortunately, my great grandfather was orphaned at age 13, so we don't know much about the family history.  We are all musicians, and would love to learn more about the family.

Offline ndc64uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 29 July 17 01:26 BST (UK) »
Silverwing, wow, someone else who is descended from Philipp!! Well done for tracking him down if your great grandfather was orphaned. Philipp had several offspring, one of which was also a Philip - which is where my line comes from (I tried to attached a photo of Philip jnr but the system said it is too big!). I have their birth and death certificates if you are interested, which we got from Germany with the help of my wife's mum. 

I also have a photo of the Worthing bandstand where they originally played but again the system says it's too big a file!

Let me know more about you lot, and how best you share the documents I have?

Regards,

Neil (Cowie)
My mum (Iris) was a Baker - Guy's daughter.

P.S. We also have the musical genes running through our veins!

Offline silverwing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 29 July 17 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil!

This is very exciting!  We don't know too much about my grandmother's (Philipp's great granddaughter) side of the family, but my mom tells me my great grandfather (Raymond) always talked about how his mother (May Emily) was a singer and that her father (Philipp Baker) was a conductor of a musical ensemble.  Raymond thought it was of an orchestra, but perhaps it was the Rhine Band?  We were told by Raymond that his mother (May Emily) had two brothers, Philipp and Chris, and one sister, Rene.  There's an old family story about Raymond working his way across the Atlantic on a freighter in the early 1900s to try and find family relatives since he had been orphaned so young.  He did meet his aunt Rene.  My mom remembers how proud he was to tell the story.

As for the pictures, I would love to see them!  I'll have to get back to you on how though, because I'm not entirely sure how to send files that big.

Best Regards,
Annelise

Offline ndc64uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 30 July 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
Annelise, hopefully I can help out with your grandmother's side of things. Philip(p) snr (born in Wilsenroth) came over from Germany in the late 1860's with his three brothers and played in Worthing as the Rhine Band. There are number of references to them on Google. Otto apparently returned at the outbreak of WWI but the others stayed as they were married to

Philip jnr (son of Philip(p) snr) was my great grandad and (looks like) May Emily's brother. It's weird that the names keep recurring as Philip (jnr) named one of his daughters Rene (my grandad Guy's sister) and my grandad (Guy) called one of his son's Raymond. I am going to have to draw it out in a chart as it's going to get confusing otherwise! We have a picture of Philip (jnr)' s wedding so I assume your Grandmother must be in the pic somewhere. And we also have a pic of the three original brothers and their wives (two of whom were sisters!) which we can share.

If you pm me I will give you my e-mail address.

Regards,

Neil
P.S. Which bit the USA are you from as apparently Johannes/Georges descendants have a book published about their bit of the family (who are also in the USA)?

Offline silverwing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,
I hope you and your family are well.  I private messaged you a few days ago, and I was just wondering if you were able to access it.  The site never gave me a confirmation that it sent, so I hope that it went through.
Best Regards,
Annelise