Author Topic: Can anyone pick the uniform? Photo taken 1885 Scotland  (Read 10209 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone pick the uniform? Photo taken 1885 Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 July 08 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Isandlwana,

Thanks for the link, I will check it out :)

So as I suspected he would have stayed in Scotland as part of the Forfarshire Volunteer Artillery...
I wish I had have known last year when I was in Edinburgh, I could have checked out the Museum at the Castle for the history of the unit, oh well...there is always next trip  ;)

Thanks so much for your help

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 July 08 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

Seems very likely that your man would have been stationed at Broughty Ferry Castle.  They have military uniforms of the period you are interested in on display in the Castle.  Don't know about the records, but you might want to write to them at the address on this link:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03v6/
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 July 08 07:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Atom12, will check it out :)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline markw78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 August 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Could you post the full group photo at all, my great great grandfather retired as sergeant in 1870 from the 1st Forfarshire Volunteers. Would be great to see full group of complementary servicemen.
I managed to get his service discharge papers from the National Archives.. so if you are still looking for your ancestor's you may wish to try..

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/485544403554047406/

Thanks in advance
Regards 

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 August 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Scrimmers, correct me if i'm wrong but the Victorian ranks you posted some time ago shows battery sgt major as 4 chevrons. Also that looks like a 4 pointed star to me rather than a crown.

I believe there was a half battery sgt major rank so would that be him or did volunteers have a different rank structure.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 August 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hey Mark, I am more than happy to pass on the full photo, but I think it will be way too big for Rootschat. I will send you a PM and you can reply with your e-mail address if you would like it.
I will check out the National Archives too, just in case something shows up on my Robert Rutherford.

John, do you think he was a half battery sgt major? It definitely looks like a 4 pointed star to me too.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 August 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hey All,

I just found a wonderful book online:

https://archive.org/details/recordsofscottis00grierich

Records of the Scottish volunteer force, 1859-1908
by Grierson, James Moncrieff, Sir, 1859-1914

It shows colour plates of the Royal Artillery Volunteer Uniforms!!! And yes the attached plate is the 1st Forfar R.G.A. (volunteer) uniform, looks like a match to me, complete with spike on the helmet ;)

Jenny

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 August 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
The written description of the uniforms is as follows:

"The uniform of the artillery volunteers has from the first been closely modelled on that of the Royal Artillery, therefore it has only been considered necessary to mention in the corps records the original uniforms of 1859-60, which varied considerably according to the fancy of individual corps, but always were dark blue. It was only in 1878 that the scarlet Austrian knot and cap-band were ordered to be worn as the badges to distinguish the volunteer from the militia and regular artillery, and silver lace for officers and white metal buttons for all ranks were from the first worn. As a head-dress, the busby of the Royal Artillery was universally adopted in the 'early sixties,' and this was replaced in 1880-81 by the helmet, at first worn with a spike and afterwards with a ball. At the 'Coming of Age Review' in 1881 the 1st Edinburgh (City) and the 1st Renfrew and Dumbarton Artillery were the only corps which still wore the busby. The latter gave it up shortly afterwards, and the former was the only corps in Scotland which, till 1908, wore the head-dress it assumed on its first formation."

Specifically for the Forfar Volunteers attached  ;D

Offline markw78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 September 15 12:38 BST (UK) »
Undated my Great x 2 Grandfather's memorial image with his signature and correct some details...
new link here.
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/485544403554646813/
enjoy... great pictures... my thanks
Regards
Mark