Author Topic: Emond in Selkirk  (Read 6255 times)

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Emond in Selkirk
« on: Saturday 28 June 08 09:38 BST (UK) »
I'm stuck trying to find an ancestor - can I please have some help? I have the marriage of Elizabeth Emond to James Chisholm in Selkirk on 14 Aug 1802 and the OPR entry clearly says her father was Peter Emond. However, I've not been able to find any record of  Peter Emond's baptism or marriage (at any time) on Scotland'sPeople or the IGI or other sources. Has anyone got evidence of a Peter Emond in Selkirk (baptism or marriage) around 1750-1800 ?
Lockie, Orr, Edgar, Chisholm, Scott, Fairbairn, Kennedy, Blackhall, Dobson, Stuart, Crosbie, Shiels, Mercer, Emond, Dunlop, Burden, Giles

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emond in Selkirk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 08 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I see that you've put the same query up on the Beginners board, but I'll answer here  :)

Have you tried Patrick - often Patrick and Peter where used interchangeably.  The IGI lists quite a few Patrick Emond in Selkirk.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 June 08 10:07 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. I'd seen the Patrick Emond references in SP and the IGI but dismissed them - I wasn't aware that Peter and Patrick were interchangeable, so many thanks again, I'll pursue Patrick Emond.
Lockie, Orr, Edgar, Chisholm, Scott, Fairbairn, Kennedy, Blackhall, Dobson, Stuart, Crosbie, Shiels, Mercer, Emond, Dunlop, Burden, Giles

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 June 08 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again  :)

http://www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=Peter

This is a very good site for Scottish (and English)  names.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 June 08 14:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again, it's a very useful site. I was aware of a few like Elizabeth/Betsy/Bessie, and Helen/Ellen/Nellie, but not Peter/Patrick. However, if I'd thought seriously about, it's the Irish/Scots connection isn't it ?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 June 08 14:45 BST (UK) »
I notice that James and Elizabeth's first daughter was an Agnes(e). ( Agnes, James, Peter, John, Jean, William)   This points to a possible marriage in Selkirk: 
17 August 1769:

Patrick Emond and Agnes Hatlie

Source - IGI

Gadget

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 June 08 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes I'd seen that one. However, I think I've found Elizabeth Emond's baptism in 1760 (Betty, daughter of Patrick Emond and Isobel Wood, who married in 1742) and there seems to be no other Elizabeth Emond (or equivalent) baptised in the right period. But the good news is that Patrick Emond's parents are William Emond and Agnes Scott so the naming convention still holds. Does that all make sense?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 June 08 15:22 BST (UK) »
Marrying at 42 and having children at 50+ doesn't seem right at all. From memory the last recorded child was 1815 or 1818. Also - no daughter, Isobel.

I'd look for something nearer 1775-1780- ish.

Gadget

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 June 08 15:50 BST (UK) »
I agree it's very peculiar but SP and the IGI show that after Elizabeth Emond's baptism in 1760 there isn't another one until 1840. I'm confused now and will have to go away and scrutinise my database in much more detail.