Author Topic: GILLIES - Glamorgan Wales  (Read 3818 times)

Offline JACKGILLIES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GILLIES - Glamorgan Wales
« on: Saturday 28 June 08 21:26 BST (UK) »
My grandfather Andrew Hay GILLIES b. 1902 in Glamorgan Wales. He was the youngest of about 11 children born to John GILLIES b. 1860 Scotland d. Abt 1939 Glamorgan and Jessie NIMMO b. 1861 Scotland d. Abt 1926 Glamorgan.

Andrew Hay GILLIES moved to Canada abt 1920 and died in the USA in 1969. Andrew had an only child (son) who is still alive. I am also an only son with several sisters, children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews.

Andrew's siblings where Helen 1883- (Sct), Margaret 1884- (Sct), Alexander 1886- (Sct), John 1888- (Ire.), Claud 1891-1892 (Glam.), Jessie 1893- (Glam.), Charles 1895- (Glam.), Agnes 1896- (Glam.), Wm. 1898-1898 (Glam.), Annie 1900- (Glam.).

Alexander and Agnes moved to Canada and John (1888) possibly USA. Alexander married Minnie and had two daughters Doris and Jean. Agnes married Dudley SNAPE and they had two or three children. Jessie (1893) married Carl FEX in 1917 in Wales. I believe Charles may have lost a leg in the war.

Any info on the above families coming forward would be neat. I have the tree back to the 1700's then I’m stalled. John GILLIES b. 1860 (Sct) to Alexander GILLIES and Margaret CASSELLS. Alexander GILLIES b. 1830 (Sct) to John GILLIES and Ann SCOTT. John GILLIES b. 1803 (Sct) to John GILLIES and Jean WYLLIE. I have all their siblings also.

Any related GILLIES still in Wales, Scotland, Canada, USA, or elsewhere i would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Jack GILLIES   USA     

Moderator comment: text changed to lower case to make it easier to read - CAPITALS are SHOUTING!  ;)

Offline toby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: GILLIES - Glamorgan Wales
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 12:08 BST (UK) »
Found these marriages on free BMD web site you may already know these details not sure.
Jessie Gilles m Carl A Fex or could be Fox 1917 Cardiff reg district
Charles married Florence H Davies 1923 Cardiff reg district
Annie married Sydney C Wellington  1929 again Cardiff reg district.
Regards
Hayes Merthyr Tydfil,
Shepherd & Middleton Oxon
Middleton Yorkshire

Offline toby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 21:39 BST (UK) »
Was this information any use to you,
Hayes Merthyr Tydfil,
Shepherd & Middleton Oxon
Middleton Yorkshire

Offline Hakan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 August 15 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack,

I would like to contact you regarding Gillies in Wales.

Is it possible to contact you by email?

We might be relatives.

Offline Hakan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 August 15 21:57 BST (UK) »
Questtion regarding the names.
Alec and Jack? (maybe nicknames for Alexander and John?)

https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/2014/10/18/penarth-commemorates-the-centenary-of-the-first-world-war/

ONE OF PENARTH’S PATRIOTIC FAMILIES

One of the news clippings discovered by Mr Payne is headed “One of Penarth’s Patriotic Families”  and is the remarkable account of just one Penarth family – the Gillies family of 7 Plassey Square, Penarth – who  had no less than four of its siblings  – three brothers and a sister – with the forces in France.

Alec Gillies, the eldest of them, had emigrated to Canada but returned for the war to serve with the 1st Canadians and was wounded twice and gassed three times.

His brother Jack Gillies had also emigrated to Canada but, like his brother, returned to serve with the 2nd Canadians . Jack was reported to have been killed on June 6th 1916.

The third brother Charlie Gillies had been one of the first to join up. He was badly wounded in the battle for Dardanelles, invalided home, recovered and volunteered to return to active service – which he did in 1916. In March 1917 he was wounded and gassed, sustained wounds in both legs and had to have his left arm amputated. He was  brought home again to the Red Cross Hospital at Knighton, Radnorshire where the newspaper reported he was in a “critical condition”.

The fourth member of the Gillies family on active service was a sister of the three brothers, Agnes Gillies – who served in France with the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps.

Offline Hakan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 August 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
I also Found this...
http://www.myheritage.com/names/andrew_gillies

Andrew Hay Gillies, 1902 - 1969
Andrew Hay Gillies was born on month day 1902, at birth place, to John Gillies and Jessie Gillies (born Nimmo).
John was born on May 18 1860, in Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland.
Jessie was born on August 8 1861, in Calton, Glasgow, Lanarkshire.
Andrew had 11 siblings: Alexander Gillies, Maggie Gillies and 9 other siblings.
Andrew married Maureen Margaret Gillies.
Maureen was born on March 30 1933, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Andrew lived on month day 1911, at address.
Andrew passed away in month 1969, at age 67 at death place.

Andrew Gillies in U.S. Social Security Death Index (SSDI)
Andrew Gillies was born on July 26 1902.
Andrew lived in Plymouth, Michigan 48170, USA.
Andrew passed away in October 1969, at age 67.

Offline Hakan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 August 15 23:41 BST (UK) »
John Gillies

John was born in Belfast in 1889. He was the son of John and Jessie Gillies and brother of Helen, Maggie, Alexander, Jessie, Agnes, Charles, Annie, Andrew and Phyllis. The family lived at 7 Plassey Square. John was an optician’s assistant. He served in “A” Company, 28th Battalion (Saskatchewan Regiment), the Canadian Infantry and died on 6th June 1916 aged 28.
http://www.friendsofstaugustines.org/roll-of-honour/mini-histories/

Is the name Phyllis correct?

Offline Rainbow Rebel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 November 15 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Phyllis is correct. She was the youngest child of John & Jessie (nee Nimmo) Gillies. She married Arthur Williams 25th April 1938.

Offline Rainbow Rebel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 November 15 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hakan,
Do you have any information on the Gillies'. I am building my family tree and need a lot of details.