Author Topic: GERMANY: Familienbucher Oberrosbach v.d. Höhe & Grüningen look up offer  (Read 22423 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

In my travels and while doing my own German Family History Research I have obtained copies of the following Church Family Books (Familienbucher) for Hessen.

Familienbuch Oberrosbach v.d. Höhe by Gottlieb See (dated 1987) covering births, marriages & deaths for the years 1663-1899

and

Familien in Grüningen (kreis Giessen) by Dr Heinz Lothar Worm (dated 1990) covering births, marriages & deaths for the years 1647-1900

If anyone has family in these areas and would like me to look them up in the books, please reply to this thread or send me a personal message :)

Hope this helps someone!

Jenny

P.S They are written in German and while I do not speak German I can transcribe the details for you and you may be able to get a translation. Names and dates are pretty easy tho  ;)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: Familienbucher Oberrosbach v.d. Höhe & Grüningen look up offer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 June 08 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

a lovely offer !

If you find any requested names, just write the details here, as you see them. 
We have enough german speakers here to do the translations. 

For those wondering what Familienbuecher are (Local Heritage Books),
the Ortsfamilienbücher (OFB) or Ortssippenbücher (OSB) are described here:
http://wiki-en.genealogy.net/FAQ_Local_Heritage_Book
some (but not many) are also online:
http://www.online-ofb.de/

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 June 08 09:10 BST (UK) »
Will do Bob, hopefully we can help someone out  ;)

the books have certainly helped me, found almost 300 years of my family in Grüningen back to 1626  ;D

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline fleurjenny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,
Have just found this site and your above message. It feels like it might be Christmas!!!!!
 I have a great great grandmother called Sophia Hommel ( sometimes Sophie, sometimes Hominel). She married in the German Lutheran church in Alie Street in London on 18th March 1860. I have the microfiche of marriages in the church which details her as being 27 of Oberrossbach, daughter of Christian, a shoemaker , deceased.
She marries Johann Christof Bohle ( son of Jost Heinrich Bohle a farmer) aged 24 from Zwergen.

Also on the same fiche is Blondina Hommel aged 26 in 1855 who marries  Conrad Fehring (son of Heinrich)  from Zwergen on 18.02.1855. She is from Nieder Rossbach, daughter of  Christian, farmer deceased.

I would be over the moon if you have any information you could share with me.  No idea how = whether it is done through this site or through individual email. I will look on the roots europe site in hope

Kind regards
fleurjenny

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hello fleurjenny,

I eagerly ran to the bookshelf when I got your message to check and see if I could help out, only to find that the Oberrosbach book does not have any Hommel's at all  :'(

I checked all other possible spellings, and the only one that features is Hammel but they are entries for the 1700's and not likely to be anything to do with your family.

I did find a reference to a Hummel family in Niederrossbach, Hessen-Nassau, Prussia on Rootsweb which may be your family:

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lindv/gedcom/emmerichenhain/WC03/WC03_112.htm

It shows:

Johann Christianus Hummel marrying Anna Catharina Schmid in 1768 in Emmerichenhain, Hessen-Nassau, Prussia

They had the following children:

Johannes Christianus Hummel b. 8 Jun 1771, Niederrossbach d. 10 May 1789, Niederrossbach
Anna Elisabetha Hummel b. 6 Oct 1773, Niederrossbach
Johannes Hummel b. 6 Oct 1775, Niederrossbach d. 17 Oct 1856, Rehe
Johann Henrich Hummel b. 1 Mar 1778, Niederrossbach d. 14 Jun 1797, Niederrossbach
Johannes Martinus Hummel b. 28 May 1780, Niederrossbach d. 4 Oct 1782, Niederrossbach
Georg Peter Hummel b. 25 Feb 1783, Niederrossbach
Johannes Martin Hummel b. 7 Aug 1785, Niederrossbach d. 10 Nov 1788, Niederrossbach
Johann Christian Hummel b. 19 Feb 1789, Niederrossbach d. 13 Mar 1844
Marie Johannette Hommel b. 24 Apr 1797, Niederrossbach d. 8 Sep 1797, Niederrossbach

Could the second Johann Christian Hummel be your Sophie's father?

Or there is a:

Christianus Henricus Hummel    
b. 7 Sep 1774, Niederrossbach, Hessen-Nassau, Prussia
d. 17 Sep 1846, Oberrossbach, Hessen-Nassau, Prussia

who married on 19 Dec 1802, Emmerichenhain, Hessen-Nassau, Prussia
Marie Elisabeth Schneider
b. abt 1781, Naustall, Hessen-Nassau, Prussia

They had a son:
Johannes Henrich Wilhelm Hommel    b. 4 Oct 1804, Oberrossbach, Hessen-Nassau, Prussia

Perhaps they had more children and he is the father of your Sophie?

There is a contact for this site which appears to show the Emmerichenhain Parish 1669 - 1806, perhaps they can help  :-\

"Introduction
   Over the years, Cathy Mellor has been extracting the Emmerichenhain parish , Nassau, Prussia records from 1669 - 1806. The following pages are the result of her efforts. For information on the sources for these pages, please contact Cathy Mellor."

It is strange that they do not show up in the Parish Familienbuch for Oberrosbach V.D. Hohe but perhaps it is another town named similarly? The town I have the book for is spelt with the one s not ss, don't know if that makes a difference or not.... I am not too good at German geography...and I do get very confused with their states!!

Hope that helps some at least  ;)

Jenny

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 09:59 BST (UK) »
Just thought that I had better add that my the Familienbuch for Oberrosbach does not cover Niederrosbach which is just next door....they are both part of Rosbach vor der Höhe in modern day terms...but in the old registers they are separate  ;)

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hello fleurjenny and welcome to rootschat,
Hello Jenny,

There are 17 places in Germany called Roßbach, one in Oberwesterwaldkreis (Hessen Nassau)

Both, Ober- and Nieder Roßbach Oberwesterwaldkreis exist.

And then there are -

Niederrosbach, Kreis Wetterau, Darmstadt Hessen which  you can find here:
http://www.igi-index.de/index.php?page=14&seite=batch8&lang=uk&sort=ort&id=n

and

Ober Rosbach here:  http://www.igi-index.de/index.php?page=1&seite=batch8&lang=uk&sort=ort&id=o

Hope that helps, Peonie

added:  The Mormons have films for Ober Rosbach

Kirchenbuch, 1663-1875  Evangelische Kirche Ober Rosbach v. d. Höhe (Kr. Friedberg)

Kirchenbuchduplikat, 1808-1835  Evangelische Kirche Ober Rosbach v. d. Höhe (Kr. Friedberg)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Peonie,

That makes more sense then  ;)

I am thinking that perhaps fleurjenny's Hommel's come from Oberrossbach & Niederrossbach in in Oberwesterwaldkreis (Hessen Nassau).

Where my Oberrosbach & Niederrosbach are in Hessen Darmstadt as per Wikipedia below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosbach_vor_der_H%C3%B6he

I actually visited the towns my rellies came from in a trip to Germany in 2006, very pretty countryside  ;D

Jenny

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 13:16 BST (UK) »

Hi Jenny,

it's difficult to keep all the small villages with the same name apart.

Here is the German site for your place  http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosbach_vor_der_H%C3%B6he

Peonie