Author Topic: King Street, Castle Douglas  (Read 31648 times)

Offline amccd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: King Street, Castle Douglas
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 June 08 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

WOW, thank you for all this information, have just got in from work and have been trying to understand everything, its all fascinating stuff.

The photos are lovely, I would like to visit there. However as I now live in deepest west Cornwall and with the price of petrol these days!!!! i better start saving the pennies.

Thank you for all your hard researching, it is very much appreciated

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 22:26 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to say that once again Gadget has pulled out all the stops! A great deal of help came to me too when I wanted to learn about my Williamsons from Galloway.

I WILL BUY YOUR BOOK!  :-X :-X

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Judy  :)

Sadly,  the book's very boring and not at all about Galloway  :(

It is about how to do research though  :D

How's your research going?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not completely on topic though. I have made a contact through "Genes........"!to a lady who is related to my gt grandmother Jane Williamson. It was her brother Robert Williamson born Stranraer 1865.

Do you think your Wilsons could have been Williamsons instead? Maybe someone tried to shorten the name?

Good luck anyway with your publication.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 23:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Judy  :)

I only wish my Wilsons were Williamsons - I think I'd get further. I read some more about your Gypsy King this week   :D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 February 09 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Not very helpful to the original post in this thread (sorry!), but a question about King Street. Does anybody know what hotels existed in King Street at the time of the 1841 census, and if they perhaps still exist? Sisters Marion McClune Douglas b. 1778 and Jane McClune Sloan b. 1765 were hotel keepers at that time.  They are the daughters of James McClune and Marion Carson - my McClune family of Dunrod.

Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 19 February 09 18:15 GMT (UK) »
There are some trade directories for that time but I don't have access to them here. Maybe someone else has them.

Gadget

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 February 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Scatza

Sorry I cannot help you on your query re King St Castle Douglas, however, I would give anything to know how your Coltarts are related to my Marshalls. Any offers? I have tried to follow the openings suggest by various contacts but have always drawn a blank.

Kind regards

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 February 09 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy  :)
I think I have missed something - please refresh my memory! I had to go back to my query about King Street hotels to check whether I had mistakenly typed Coltart instead of McClune, but no, I didn't (actually I did make a mistake; I meant to say 1851 census  ::)).  Perhaps you saw that Coltarts are also in my tree, but I wasn't aware that you are looking for a link between Coltarts and Marshalls? I have read some of your chat with Callywoods (my cousin in Gatehouse of Fleet), but can't remember if it included the latter? Perhaps you could start a new thread with your Coltart/Marshall puzzle? I love puzzles - so will look out for that and leave Castle Douglas for now  :)

Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa