Author Topic: RIC Death  (Read 5659 times)

Offline pab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
RIC Death
« on: Saturday 22 January 05 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know how I can get information concerning the death of a Francis King who was a member of the RIC and died somewhere in County Carlow in 1887. I believe his death took place following a violent incident at an eviction but his death certificate says that he died of fever.I have tried all I know for this info to no avail and hope somebody can help me.

Offline BREEN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RIC Death
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 23:47 GMT (UK) »
I you tried the web site maintained by the Police Service of  Northern Ireland.They seem to have records available which they will search if you pay them
LYONS @ HENAGHANS  DUNMORE GALWAY
BYRNES @ CONWAYS CARLOW,
Glover Taylor Timmis Staffordshire

Offline BREEN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 23:50 GMT (UK) »
The Garda site also has details of old records
LYONS @ HENAGHANS  DUNMORE GALWAY
BYRNES @ CONWAYS CARLOW,
Glover Taylor Timmis Staffordshire

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Pab:

PRONI has microfilmed 44 volumes of service registers of members of the Irish Constabulary and the Royal Irish Constabulary, 1816-1922. 1816-1836 covers the Peace Preservation Force, the forerunner to the IrishConstabulary. The entries are arranged numerically by service number and give full name, age, height, religion,native county, trade or calling, marital status, native county of wife, date joined, counties in which the memberserved and length of service (PRONI MIC/454). These films are available in the LDS Family History Centresthroughout Australia and the World.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:gTG4m2GyJfwJ:www.sag.org.au/aisnltrs/AISN0204.pdf+king+RIC+carlow&hl=en

Northern Ireland Police Museum
PSNI HQ, ‘Brooklyn’, Knock Road, Belfast BT5 6LE
Tel: 028 90650222 x 22499
E-mail museum@psni.police.uk
Web http://www.psni.police.uk/museum/index.htm

The museum houses uniforms, weapons and information on the history of policing in Ireland from 1822, with particular relevance to the Royal Irish Constabulary in the 1916-21 period. A complete database of RIC service records is accessible at the museum.
Open Mon-Fri, 9.30am-12.30pm, 1.30pm-4.30pm. Visits by appointment preferred

Hope this helps,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline pab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 December 05 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all who replied re King death in Carlow,I hope those addresses will shine some light on this search.Regards PAB.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 December 05 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Seasons Greetings Pab  8)

My name is on the waiting list with my local library for a book by  Herlihy, Jim  which is titled  "Royal Irish Constabulary officers, a biographical and genealogical guide, 1816-1922" This may contain some information about Francis King.

All the best, Chris

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 December 05 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like a great book Chris. I bet you are going to be busy doing look-ups when you do get it.  (I am racking my poor old brain to see if there is anyone I need looked up.)

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 December 05 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like a great book Chris. I bet you are going to be busy doing look-ups when you do get it.  (I am racking my poor old brain to see if there is anyone I need looked up.)

Pat

Good on you Pat. You don't waste much time being first in the queue. Do you take your sleeping bag complete with your thermos and a few sandwiches when you require tickets to attend a big pop concert? lol Everyone who requires RIC look-ups please queue behind Pat. lol Sleeping bags are not necessary but a cup of coffee and a few sarnies near your computer table might be an idea lol

All the Best, Chris