Author Topic: Tithe Map  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Tithe Map
« on: Friday 09 April 04 06:26 BST (UK) »
Could someone explain what a Tithe Map is please and also what I could expect to find on one?
Thanks,
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re:Tithe Map
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 April 04 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane,

The site below gives quite a bit of detail on Tithes and Tithe Maps, although it relates to Wales the same principle also applies to England ans they share the same common law:

http://www.llgc.org.uk/dm/dm0030.htm

Here's a snippet from it:
The first tasks of the Commissioners were to ascertain to what extent commutation had already taken place, and also to establish the boundaries of every unit in which tithes were paid separately. This unit was known as a tithe district to distinguish it from a parish or township. Enquiries were directed to every parish or township listed in the census returns. The results of these enquiries are found in the Tithe Files (Class IR18 in the Public Record Office).

There are 1,132 such files for Wales and they include all districts in Wales, not only those places where tithe was still paid in 1836. Tithe districts are usually parishes, but a minority are townships, and a handful are chapelries, hamlets, extra-parochial places, many of which enjoyed separate status solely for tithe commutation purposes.

As to where you get hold of them, I'm not too sure but on another site I read:
...The tithe surveys took place from c.1840-1852, and 3 copies of each map were made, with 1 copy deposited at the National Archives: Public Record Office and other surviving copies usually found at the county record office.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all?
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re:Tithe Map
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 04 10:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trystan,
The information was very informative.  The Sussex Family History Group has some Tithe maps for Horsham, an area I'm researching as regards family history and I wondered if they might contain names that I'm researching.  Judging by the information you sent, I don't think they would be of much help at this point, but could be later,
Thanks once again,
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.