Author Topic: American Birth  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Charmaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
American Birth
« on: Sunday 23 January 05 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help me with finding my grandmother's birth...

Ada Esther Lewis was born 2nd July 1879-80 in Carroll Co, Missouri, to a Hepsiba Lewis aged 39 and a William C Lewis.

She was later adopted sometime around 1880-81? by a Thomas J Price and wife Margaret, who at the time were living in Bates, Carroll, Missouri, and was brought back to South Wales in UK, about 1888-89?

I've been unable to find any  paperwork on her birth or adoption, and would greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Thankyou.
Charmaine

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: American Birth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 January 05 23:09 GMT (UK) »
A Note on Missouri Vital Records

The first provision for state-wide registration of births and deaths was enacted July 1, 1883, and was repealed in 1893. Registration ceased until 1910. The Missouri State Archives maintains a searchable database of birth and death records prior to 1910.

Birth and death records dating from January 1, 1910 may be found at the Missouri Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Records.

Here is a link for Kansas City Vital records.  Looks like they only start in 1920-
http://www.kcmo.org/health.nsf/web/birth?opendocument

Here is one for the State of Missouri.  Looks like 1910 for the state.
http://www.health.state.mo.us/BirthAndDeathRecords/BirthAndDeathRecords.html

George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Charmaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: American Birth
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 January 05 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nutkin,

Thank you for your help and information, I will look into these web sites, you never know.

Charmaine     ???