Author Topic: McLEAN/McCLAN  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Shane H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McLEAN/McCLAN
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 June 24 17:46 BST (UK) »
Success!

Offline Shane H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 14 June 24 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Patti
I've used an online pdf converter to come up with a small sized file transcription of the Gypsy Lore Society letter from 1987, as attached.
Shane

Offline Shane H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 June 24 11:15 BST (UK) »
...and here are jpegs of the Militia payment records.

Offline idlecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Grandma Lily Hyde
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 15 June 24 09:34 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you so much Shane, I’m just ploughing through them.. I’ve sent off for some birth certs which I never had so they may turn something up. Will get back to you later … and thanks again, amazing. Thanks again Patti
Ward Derbyshire              
Hyde Warwickshire   
Macklin Beds/ Huntingdonshire
Grays
Loveridge       
Rainbow Warwickshire

Offline idlecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Grandma Lily Hyde
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 15 June 24 10:48 BST (UK) »
Good morning The Bedford  militia is another fascinating document , I can see an entry of a referenced to Sophia Maclean’s Child but difficulty in reading what comes at the end then 4/8 4s 8d
The Charles Maclean entry From Infantry March 10 1800 to April 12. 1/2. 1s 2d
I have had a search of Bedfordshire militia records and they are scarce. There must be more somewhere … needs more research. I have a great interest myself in anything military.
Mrs Macdonald’s letter from Gypsy Lore was surprising … his lack of knowledge of the Macklins … maybe things have moved on from there. Interesting what was said about Silence Biggleswade being deaf. I have another Silence Bruntbin my tree and on the 1851 census she has indeed ticked the box at the end for deaf, blind and imbecile .
Thank you for sharing all of your notes with me, I’ll go through them and see if there’s anything I can add.
 Patti
Ward Derbyshire              
Hyde Warwickshire   
Grays
Loveridge       
Rainbow Warwickshire

Offline Shane H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 15 June 24 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Patti

I've looked online for Bedfordshire Militia records and I can't see anything obvious that those copies might have come from, particularly not for 1800. There's some possible sources listed on GENUKI: see https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/BDF/Misc/BDF/MilitiaListsandMusters, but these appear to be payroll lists, not musters as such, and nothing as specific as that is mentioned. Maybe the "Potton. Service records" or "County Regimental Returns....Militia 1780-1876" might be the best bets. I expect that Ruth MacDonald probably visited Bedfordshire Archives back in the 80s to unearth these.

I transcribed the two Militia entries into the "Notes" document I uploaded, as the originals are hard to read. There's not a lot to add, but there's a series of 4 strokes after the names in each line, which I imagine are tally strokes to show weekly payments.

Shane

Offline Shane H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 15 June 24 12:24 BST (UK) »
Me again....

I also note mention of Macklins etc at https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/celtic-traveller/about/background and mention there of Robert Dawson: https://www.robertdawson.co.uk/

Offline idlecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Grandma Lily Hyde
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 15 June 24 16:10 BST (UK) »
Robert Dawson is certainly a person of note. Is this recent or may he not still be around?
I’ve been trawling through the Regimental Records of the Bedfordshire Militia and came across one or two interesting things.
I wondered why the recruits from this locality were recruited and paid off after a short time. It seems that there had been a lot of trouble within the Regiment through disobedience.. wearing their best uniforms when told not to ( it was winter and cold and the 2nd best were worn out). Soldiers and officers were court martialled and dismissed so recruits were rounded up urgently.

THE BEDFORDSHIRE MILITIA.
In searching for information respecting my own Regiment during these times, I came across an account of the execution of two deserters, which I think is worthy of record.
"On the 20th June 1800, two of the York Hussars (Yeomanry) were shot on Bincombe Down, near Weymouth, pursuant to sentence of Court-Martial, for desertion and cutting a boat out of Weymouth Harbour, with the intention of deserting to France; they however, landed by mistake in Guernsey, where they were arrested and secured.
"The regiments in camp were drawn up (viz. the Greys, Rifle Corps, Stafford, Berkshire, and North Devon Militia.
"They came on the ground in a mourning coach, accompanied by two Priests. After going along the front, they went to the centre, where they were allowed twenty minutes for prayer; they were then shot at by a guard of twenty-four men, they dropped instantly, and expired without a groan.
"The men wheeled in sections, and marched past the bodies in slow time."
In May 1800 we find the Regiment, after having been recruited in the County during the winter, once more upon the march, having received orders to proceed to the west of England; and early in that month it marched by Higham Ferrers, Kettering, Harborough, Atherstone, Lichfield, to Stafford, where it appears to have only halted for a week, when it marched, via Wolverhampton, Kidderminster, Worcester, Tewkesbury, Cheltenham, Gloucester, Newport, Bristol, Wells, and Bridgewater to Taunton, where it was

The Regiment remained at Bedford until May 1800, and had a detachment at Dunstable.
I may here state for the information of many who are not aware of the magnitude of the force employed at the time we write of, that the number of troops in Ireland at the end of 1800 was :—
Regulars
Militia
Yeomanry.

The total military establishment of the United Kingdom (exclusive of the marine establishment 100,000 men, and the Volunteers) was 317,952 men.

stationed until September. It left Taunton at the end of September, and proceeded by Honiton and Exeter to Ashburton and Newton Bushell, where it was quartered forabout a month, when it was ordered to Plymouth, where it arrived in the middle of October. It did garrison duty in this Town during the winter of 1800, and the Civil Authorities publicly complimented the Regiment upon its discipline and good conduct upon the occasion of its being called out to preserve order during a large fire.”

———————————
It’s also been a puzzle why Charles McLean named his son b. 1800 ( the infant ) Charles Maclean Grey .
It’s probable that he named him after the commander in chief Sir Charles Grey … I’ve another soldier who named his son Shirley after another General at Waterloo.

" Regimental Orders. - The general order of this day is a pretty strong proof that the Commander-in-Chief, Sir Charles Grey, is determined that every manner of Hub ordination shall be kept up in the Southern District, id the Colonel ia equally determined to execute his ist and power by making an example of the first person at may disgrace his regiment.
"He cannot avoid adding that he has reason to caution every good man in the regiment from being led astray by the persuasion or example of bad men ; and as they love their own reputation, honour, and happiness, they will avoid associating with every man of this description ; but to avoid him as they would a pestilence, for otherwise it will be sure to bring down upon them the most sure and exemplary punishment.

Ward Derbyshire              
Hyde Warwickshire   
Grays
Loveridge       
Rainbow Warwickshire

Offline Shane H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 June 24 10:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, it has always amazed me that a soldier might be a volunteer, yet still end up shot at dawn. Not much gratitude for the volunteering, but I suppose order must be maintained!