Author Topic: Census Look-up please - 1841/51/61 MORGAN in Skenfrith - COMPLETED  (Read 5383 times)

Offline SC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census Look-up please - 1841/51/61 MORGAN in Skenfrith
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 October 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

This is becoming quite involved and complicated but I'll document what I have now managed to piece together

I believe the two chr from the IGI you found are my William and Ann's
There is a poss marr in 1820 in Llanwarne for William Morgan and Ann Harris and a chr for her in 1796 in Orcop which is about right for age, birthplace as quoted in censuses, and general area of Herefordshire, but not yet proven

I now think that William was born in Linton-by-Ross about 1797 and he had a brother Samuel poss slightly older - have not yet linked them up to the same parents but it's a distinct possibility
Samuel's son Thomas b 1829 in Linton is living next door to my Ann Morgan, now widowed, in 1871
Ann died in 1879 age 85
William died poss in 1862 but he did not have two wives so I'm afraid Hannah Meredith does not belong here 

William and Ann had Caroline in 1820 and Elizabeth in 1823, then moved to Skenfrith and had Esther 1826, Ann 1829 and Jane in 1833
Caroline had a couple of children, one of whom is prob Lydia b 1836, who was then brought up by her grandmother, then married a William Davis and had  a few more children and died in 1851 age 32
The Caroline you found died as Caroline Morgan so she's not mine I'm afraid

Elizabeth married a John Clark

Ann married Thomas Wilcox which is my connection to all this

Jane is still unmarried in 1871, listed as a servant to her cousin Thomas

BUT this one could be a connection to your Merediths
However I think we will need some more census to sort it all out!! I have just been using Skenfrith records to get this so far

Esther or Hester seems to have married her widowed employer Robert Thorley who was age 70 when she was barely 21, had a couple of children, he died, and she then married again in 1851 to a widower - a John MEREDITH!!!!
John was living in Yewtree Cottage at the time of his marriage and his father is listed as a John Meredith, sawyer 

It's the only possible link I can find since I now have this family pretty well pieced together except for tracing William backwards

So does this link up with any of your info on the Merediths???

Over to you
SC

Offline theo1815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Census Look-up please - 1841/51/61 MORGAN in Skenfrith
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 October 08 16:24 BST (UK) »
SC,

You are so kind to have written all that out! Thank you for your patience and willingness to share.

I am thoroughly disappointed. You would make such a great distant cousin but I don't see any connection in the information you've written. What a let-down! I was most excited to find a possible living relative from my Morgan side of the family. My Morgan line had been a brick wall for over three generations--my gr-Aunt Ellis was working on it with no luck back in the 1940's. I guess I should just be satisfied that we finally had the break-through!

My Meredith brick wall is James Meredith who married Elizabeth. Their daughter, Elizabeth, was baptized in 1766 Grosmont, Mon.

Thanks so much for all your help. I hope your research continues well and you find the connections you are searching for...

I appreciate you identifying that Thomas Morgan for me, and confirming that the Caroline Morgan who is buried at Skenfrith is even more certainly the daughter of Joseph Austin Morgan and Mary.

Best wishes always,
Susan

Offline SC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Census Look-up please - 1841/51/61 MORGAN in Skenfrith - COMPLETED
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 October 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

Yes I am also disappointed that it's not a connection

It was no problem to write out what I had, it all helps to rule things out
We are all in this to help each other and I have had a fair bit of help from the wonderful folks on Rootschat along the way

Did you find the Grosmont PR's on-line?
They're on the Monmouthshire site quoted further back in this thread
That's where I found Thomas Morgan's marriage to Elizabeth and the chr for their first child

It might just help you with your brick wall - might find info on your Elizabeth
However you have to be prepared to troll through lots of images as it's not indexed on years - but it can be very helpful

Good luck with your continued research
SC

Offline Suzanne 41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 November 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
The James Meredith I am researching was born about 1753.  He married Elizabeth Baker Harvey in 1786 and together they had a daughter Eliza born 1787 who married Henry Frederick Bythesea in 1808.  James was a lieutenant of Marines when he arrived in Australia on the First Fleet in 1788.  He had a son, James Henry, born to a Mary Hughes, a convict girl,  in 1790.  He returned back to England with his son in 1791.   
James became a general and died in Monmouthshire in 1841.
Do you think there is a connection with your James Meredith?
Sue

Offline gr_oxy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 December 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Suzanne 41, I am researching James Meredith, first fleet marine, as a possible member of a Meredith family from Skenfrith. I love to hear from you, cheers Robin, Sydney, Aus