Author Topic: Different death dates, opinions please.  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Sue in Aust

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Different death dates, opinions please.
« on: Wednesday 09 July 08 02:53 BST (UK) »
I've puzzled over this for quite some time and thought I would ask the advice of others  ;).

The death certificate of my 4 x G/Grandmother records her death as 28 June 1845 but her headstone inscription clearly says 5 June 1845.

Her son-in-law was the informant and the death was registered on 28 June 1845.

I haven't any other death certificates that have the same death and registration dates and wonder if the date of death was mistakingly recorded as 28 June rather than 5 June.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sue  :) 

Adams/ Evans/ Jackson/Rowland/Whaley/Howard/Carlisle/Bennett Wirral Cheshire, Wheeler/ Baker/Urry/Draper Hampshire & Isle of Wight, Cummings/Wilkinson London. Borland/Clarke Scotland. Roberts/Taylor Wales. Wilkinson, Merrott/Merritt or Merret Gloucester, Wilkinson Derbyshire.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Different death dates, opinions please.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:01 BST (UK) »
It is not uncommon for errors to occur on headstones, I have come across several. There is a considerable time delay between burial and the erection of a headsone to allow for settlement, this increases the chance for errors to creep in, I would put my trust in the certificate.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:12 BST (UK) »
Is there a death notice in the local newspaper? The death certificate and newspaper notice were done right away where as Jebber says there is always a delay in either getting the headstone erected or putting the name and date on an existing headstone (have seen some headstones wrong by a few years).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:16 BST (UK) »
A number of gravestones I've found for my lot have differed from the certificates.  One has the right date but is a couple of years out!

I agree with the others: I'd go with the certificates.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:17 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at cemetery records as opposed to MI's
Cemetery records often give date of burial -as opposed to date of death
As at that time burials usually took place 2-3 days after death, they should give a bigger clue as to when the death occurred

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:20 BST (UK) »
you had to register the death within 8 days of it occurring.
5 June - 28 June = more than 8 days

mistakes can be made on inscriptions and costly to correct.

my grandfather was born in 1919, he has died now

there was a mistake with his inscription and although it was corrected on his headstone it was not corrected on the plaque on the coffin, it was too late.

i can't remember the exact mistake but it was either his y.o.b was a year out or the date of death was a day out he died on 19th May one of the 19's reads 18

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Sue in Aust

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jebber.

I hadn't really considered the time difference between the burial date and the placement of a headstone.

I'm encouraged to think the death date on the certificate is correct.

Sue

Adams/ Evans/ Jackson/Rowland/Whaley/Howard/Carlisle/Bennett Wirral Cheshire, Wheeler/ Baker/Urry/Draper Hampshire & Isle of Wight, Cummings/Wilkinson London. Borland/Clarke Scotland. Roberts/Taylor Wales. Wilkinson, Merrott/Merritt or Merret Gloucester, Wilkinson Derbyshire.

Offline Sue in Aust

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
I'm further encouraged by all your replies to go with the death date on the certificate.

I have been through the burial records for the church concerned but either missed this one or failed to record the details, another trip to my local LDS centre is called for.

The headstone inscription wasn't from MI's, I stood before it myself and took the photo but I do remember at the time thinking something isn't right  ::).

I've not gone down the track of looking for a death notice in a local newspaper mainly because they are not accessible to me, but it may be something to do on a future visit to Cheshire.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sue

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:56 BST (UK) »
The reason I suggested the local paper is that I have found one or two death certificates with the wrong date but that may have been to avoid paying a late registration penalty. Mr great-great-grandfather's death notice appeared in the newspaper before the date on his death certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!