Author Topic: LUNDY in Sligo  (Read 6079 times)

Offline LorraineinFL

• RootsChat Extra
  • My family originated in West Lothian
    • View Profile
LUNDY in Sligo
« on: Wednesday 09 July 08 12:50 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for someone who is familiar with a Lundy family from Sligo.  I have an old letter written in 1924 from Denis Lundy to his niece, my grandmother.  In the letter, he states that he's getting too old to manage the family home.  He also mentions a brother who got hit by the New York Express train and a brother who fell from a building.  He also said that he has a sister in Syracuse, NY who he hadn't heard from in some time.

In looking at the census I was unable to find a Denis the right age, so that lead no place.  I should also mention that he had a sister, Mary Agnes Lundy, who went to the Philadelphia area as a teenager and married a Smith.  If any of this sounds familiar, please let me know!
Lindsay, McPhail, Stobie, Forrester, Angus, Storrie/Storie, and more.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LUNDY in Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. You have quite a bit of detail there to start looking for other family members. If the relatives that left Ireland for America landed in New York try www.ellisisland.org to search for them on passenger manifests- should give name of nearest relative at home as well as who they were going to in U.S.- often a relative that had gone to U.S. earlier.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LorraineinFL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for your reply, but Mary Agnes Lundy came over before Ellis Island opened.  She married in 1892 and claimed she was born in 1869.  I had sent to Ireland for a birth certificate, but am unsure if I asked for the right one.
Interesting to note is that in each of the census years (US census) she only aged about 4 years, every 10 years!  This makes her age a big question!

Lorraine

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Castle Garden records aren't as good and will only give basic details like 'Ireland' as residence. What about Mary Agnes Lundy's brothers- would they have gone to Ellis Island? might be a way to get more details if they did.

Offline LorraineinFL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:58 BST (UK) »
Castle Garden did manage to pull up 2 possibilities.   I've been lucky in that I also managed to find my great great grandfather coming from Scotland to the Phila. area, in 1865, on their site.

Thanks so much.  I had been neglecting my Ireland side for way too long and decided today to try once more. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
Trouble with Castle Garden site is that there is often not enough information in the records to confirm a person's identity. That's why I thought it might be worth looking for Mary Agnes' brothers on Ellis Island.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 14:20 BST (UK) »
Had a very, very quick look at Ellis Island.
1898 Richard Lundy age 26 from Swinford (not far from Sligo) going to sister Annie Lundy in Syracuse,

Later but possibly related?:
1907 Annie Lundy born Aclare Sligo age 24 to brother Peter in NYC- father Edward Lundy Coolreemil? Aclare Sligo.

Offline plundy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 September 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I just came across your post.  My great grandfather was Denis Lundy of Aclare.  He had a son James.  According to James' death certificate (in the U.S.)  his mother (James) was Margeret Henry.  I can find no reference to Denis and Margeret being married.  I do have a marriage record of a Denis and a Bridget Leheny (Lehany) being married and having a son James.  The problem I have is my grandfather, James, appears to have been born in 1872 but the son of Denis and Bridget shows as 1865. Also the fact that my grandmother stated on James death cert. that his mother was Margeret Henry.  I thought perhaps James was really a James Henry and perhaps Denis took him in as a child for some reason and he became a James Lundy.  Do you have any info on the Lundy/Henry connection in your research?
Paul
Dennis (Denis) Lundy -- Sligo
Margaret Henry -- Wife of Dennis (?)

Offline DHHuntLundy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 November 19 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am Diane Hunt Lundy.
My grandmother was Nellie Ruth Lundy from Sligo County, she was born1890. Married my grandfather Michael Hunt.
She had a brothers and sisters but lost contact with them because she lived in Panama Canal Zone. Her brothers & sisters: James Lundy (1885), Patrick Lundy (1882), Ellen Margaret Lundy (1891), Thomas Lundy (1881) & Mary (Molly) (1893), then, Jenny and Enaus Lundy. Big family😀
 Grandma, widowed very young. She had 4 sons: my father, Thomas Francis Hunt (1924 -1984), James Bernard (1920-1983), John Alfred (1928-1997) and Joseph Michael (1922) in Panama Canal Zone. Dad married Cecilia Lescure.

Grandfather's name was Michael Hunt, born 1887. His sisters: Ellen Hunt (1887), Mary (Mollie) Hunt (1887) & brother, John Hunt (1883) They resided in Ballyhaunis, Mayo County, Ireland.

Would love to make contact with families.