Author Topic: Ware Residents Marrying in London circa 1800  (Read 8624 times)

Offline matildakin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ware Residents Marrying in London circa 1800
« on: Wednesday 09 July 08 14:39 BST (UK) »
I have some ancestors (three siblings) who lived in Ware in the late 1700s, early 1800s.  A search of the IGI turns up marriages which appear to be matches except that they were registered at Saint Leonards in Shoreditch (1804 and 1807) and Saint Helen in Bishopsgate (1806).  I spoke to an attendant at the local Latter Day Saints genealogy centre and he cast doubt on the idea that people in those times would make the trip from Ware to London to get married. 

I acquired copies of the registrations and they all indicate that the participants were “of this parish”.

These were ordinary people (one was a wheelwright and another was a carpenter) who spent their lives in Ware.  Is it likely that these London marriages are unrelated or is there a plausible explanation for Ware folk running down to Shoreditch to marry?

mat

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ware Residents Marrying in London circa 1800
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I presume you have already looked for these marriages in the Ware PR's, did the wives come from outside the parish of Ware?

Can you give some more details on who you are looking for and someone might be able to help

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matildakin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 16:33 BST (UK) »
I’m afraid that I have no access to the Ware parish records.  I’ve been working mostly from the IGI, the censuses and GRO certificates.

The three siblings are John Tilcock (1780-1825), William Tilcock (1782-1861) and Marie/Maria Tilcock (b. 1785).

I have a copy of John’s apprenticeship contract to wheelwright John Mardall of Ware in 1793.  According to the IGI, John Tillcock and Mildred Chapman married at Saint Leonards on November 1, 1804.  The copy of the marriage registration that I was able to acquire shows Maria Tillcock as a witness.  Per the IGI, John and Mildred Tillcock had a number of children christened in Ware from 1805 to 1824.  It may be a coincidence but there was a Chapman (Mary) present at son Joseph’s death in 1870.

Per the IGI, William was christened in Ware in 1782.  He apprenticed to “William Smart, Carpenter & Joiner of Ware” in 1796.  The IGI shows a William Tillcock and Sarah White marrying at Saint Leonards on August 25, 1807.  William Tillcock (occ: carpenter) and wife Sarah show up in Thundridge in the 1851 and 1861 censuses.

Per the IGI, Marie was christened in Ware in 1785.  The IGI shows an Edward Hale and Maria Tillcock marrying at Saint Helen, Bishopsgate, on September 22, 1806.  The IGI also shows Edward and Maria Hale having a number of children christened in Ware from 1807 to 1827.   The couple appear in Ware in the 1841 and 1851 censuses.  Maria Hale’s age and place of birth in the 1851 census are in sync with the christening record.

I may be jumping to conclusions about the marriages but they do seem to tie in well, apart from the locations.

mat

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 23:29 BST (UK) »
I also have some ancestors who were residents of Ware and married in London (St George in the East) in 1799.

Various other family members married far from home as well - one in Dover (think they eloped  ::)) The "wife" was a Ware resident prior to marriage as well so it wasn't a case of "going home" to be married.

I would accept the fact that Ware residents did travel to London for many reasons - one of which would be for marriage, particularly if they (either party) was a Non-conformist and did not like the minister of the local CofE church.

As everything else matches up - I'd say that they are your family's Marriages. Matching and checking the witnesses is also good for confirmation.

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 July 08 22:04 BST (UK) »
A lot of Ware people married in London...........dont forget the River Lea and the barges...........one of mine even got married in Norfolk!!

Hals now has marriages online and some other records

https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?esessionid=C576914DE08F5AB130183CE6A0F25EC2_1&formid=HALS_INDEXES

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 July 08 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mat

I believe that it was considered very fashionable for country folk to marry in London. They often rented "suitcase addresses" in order to qualify to be married within a parish.

I have several instances of this in my own tree, though one of them was an elopement!

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 July 08 12:44 BST (UK) »
I agree with Rick.  It was very fashionable for the craftsmen and small farmers to be married in London. 

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

indiapaleale

« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 July 08 13:58 BST (UK) »
Almost all of my Page family - longtime residents of Ware - were married in London. They were maltmakers and bargemen and I presume took a barge down the river Lea.
Cheers
Indi

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 July 08 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Agree with everyone else.  I have done a great deal of research on my family roots, all East Herts, and many married in East London.  As Indi says the River Lea provided transport into London by barge because of the thriving malt industry there.  In fact, the town was the largest producer of malt in the UK at one time.  Dont also forget that the road we now know as the A10 was a main road link in and out of London passing right by Shoreditch and Bishopsgate.  So, I would say you do have the right marriages.

Cheers
Denise
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford