Author Topic: Reid/Ferris/Welsh  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Nica19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Isn't this fun!!!
    • View Profile
Reid/Ferris/Welsh
« on: Wednesday 09 July 08 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to trace my mother's roots.  She was born in Glasgow in 1910 and her parents were Thomas Ferris (son of Patrick and Bridget (nee Welsh) Ferris and Annie Reid.  My mother's parents were unmarried and, my mother was always told that her mother died following my mother's birth.  I have found out that Annie Reid actually died in April 1911. Her parents were Robert and Jane(t) (nee Cameron) Reid.  My mother was brought up by Patrick and Agnes (nee Welsh) Strain.  Agnes Welsh was the younger sister of Bridget Welsh.

Another mystery is that my mother always claimed her name was Augustina Veronica but on her birth certificate she is registered simply as Ina.  I am wondering if she was perhaps christened Augustina Veronica but I can't find records as I am unsure where she would have been christened.  I have a feeling it may have been St Luke's RC church Glasgow.
The names involved are Ferris, Reid, Cameron, Henderson, McGuire,
I have found out quite a lot, My grandfather's family appear mainly to have come over to Scotland from Ireland.  I am unsure of the Reid side, I don't know where they originate.
any help will be appreciated.
Ina
x
Middlesbrough/NE ..Lilley/ Usher/Widdowfield
Middlesex. Lilley
Scotland and Ireland Reid/Ferris/Cameron/ Welsh
Ireland Kilhouley/ McGuire/Henderson/Murdoch/McDiarmid/Brannon

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reid/Ferris/Welsh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 19:26 BST (UK) »
First thing you need to do is get information from Scottish census records. Both the Ferris and Reid families should appear in 1901. The census will give ages of Thomas and Annie, their parents, etc. as well as birthplaces.
Then you can start working back through each census (1891, 1881, etc.) to see when the link with Ireland appears.
However, to search for the family in Ireland you will need to know where they lived (parish if not actual townland not just a county or 'Ireland'). Scottish certificates are excellent and birth certificates give date and place of parents' marriage which will probably help you once you find the Irish-born ancestors.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 July 08 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Nica19,

I have checked Scotland People website for female Ferris births from 1909 to 1911 and found 16. There are only 2 named Ina no Augustina Veronica. They maybe the same person, but not sure why the duplication. However the correct one, if you have not got the certificate already, will list parent's and give address
1910 FERRIS INA F GOVAN GLASGOW/LANARK 646/02 0356 No Image ORDER
1910 FERRIS INA F GOVANHILL GLASGOW/LANARK 644/16 0236 No Image ORDER

Tom

PS They would have to be ordered at £10 per certificate.
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 July 08 17:05 BST (UK) »
Illegitimate children often registered under mother's surname- perhaps she's registered as Ina/Augustina Reid. Another possibility is she's registered without a Christian name(s) yet chosen and appears in the index as 'female'.

Offline Nica19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Isn't this fun!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 July 08 17:13 BST (UK) »
That is strange, Tom.  I have my mum's certificate, a very nice young man at the registration office found it for me (  it cost me £13) and he was the one that looked for Annie Reid and found one who died in April 1911 as being the only one age wise who seemed to fit the bill.  My mum was born on the 18/2/1910 and her regististration district was Govan, does seem odd that there are two!!!!  The young man at the office checked through quite a bit for me, he was really helpful. The certificate I have is the correct one, the parents are correctly listed.  Annie Reid is on the birth certificate as , Mother, and her occupation is Restaurant Waitress.  The Annie Reid death he found has the girl listed as a Restaurant Assistant which seems to fit.   Mmmmm, that is a puzzle, seems unlikely to have two Ina Ferris born in the same district etc and so close in registration.
Thank you
Adghadowey, that is where I have got stuck with them at the minute, regarding the area of Ireland.  I am also tracing my dad's English tree and, to be truthful, trying to watch the costs.  With that in mind I keep trying to find out as much as I can via free links etc and then working out which certificate to order that will take me the furthest before paying out again.
thank you for the info though, that will be helpful
Just caught your recent post.  Yes, she was illegitimate but both her parents were present at the registration and the certificate I have gives her name.  That is dated March 7 1910. The address my mother was born at was 167 Renfrew Road Govan,  I haven't tried to find out whether that was a hospital or private home.........mainly because I am not sure how to.
Nica

Middlesex. Lilley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 July 08 17:27 BST (UK) »
Both parents could be present at registration, father listed on birth certificate but still could be under mother's surname.

However, 2 entries for Ina Ferris could still refer to same person. I came across two certificates for a relative in Scotland and the only difference was that the surname was spelt two different ways.

Offline Nica19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Isn't this fun!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 July 08 18:05 BST (UK) »
No wonder we get confused (or at least I do!!!)
I have just started on mum's tree again after a break, did some of dad's and then stopped for a while. 
The hardest thing is trying to keep the info. I get in order and remember it!!!
Still, it keeps me occupied.
Nica
Middlesex. Lilley