Author Topic: Marland  (Read 10619 times)

Offline angel00

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marland
« on: Wednesday 09 July 08 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm trying to trace my great grandma, Ruth Marland, mother to my grandad Charles Marland, born 1917 at St Mary's Hospital in Manchester.  Charles father was not listed on the birth cert, but Ruth's job was listed as domestic servant and lived at 18 Ripon St, Greenheys.

I've been told my relatives that Ruth died around Charles 21st birthday and died in Ashton.

I'm also told that Charles had a sister, Mary Marland and she was adopted out to a family in Disley.

Charles also had an Aunt called Sarah Marland who lived at Albert Terrace, New Mills in 1942... aparrantly Charles lived with his aunt in New Mills after his mother died, until he married Sybil in 1942.

If you can help me at all in trying to trace, Ruth Marland, Sarah Marland or Mary Marland i would really appreciate to hear from you

Thanks

Rebecca Marland

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 July 08 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca :)

Welcome to RootsChat.

We seem to be struggling a bit with this one :-\

There does not seem to be a suitable Death Registration for a Ruth Marland (per se) in 1937 or 1938. The only one of that specific name is a 70 year old in Liverpool.

However, if what your relatives have told you about Charles' mother dying around the time of his 21st birthday (March 1938) is correct, then this might be a possible Death Registration......

1938 Manchester S. JFM quarter 8d 134

Alice R Marland aged 45

If this is her, she would have been born 1892/3 and perhaps this is her....

Possible Birth Registration

1892 Ashton AMJ quarter 8d 583

Alice Ruth Marland

It might be worth considering these two entries if nothing else turns up.

DS ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline angel00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 July 08 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca :)

However, if what your relatives have told you about Charles' mother dying around the time of his 21st birthday (March 1938) is correct, then this might be a possible Death Registration......

1938 Manchester S. JFM quarter 8d 134

Alice R Marland aged 45

If this is her, she would have been born 1892/3 and perhaps this is her....

Possible Birth Registration

1892 Ashton AMJ quarter 8d 583

Alice Ruth Marland

It might be worth considering these two entries if nothing else turns up.

DS ;)

Hello and thank you very  much for replying, i appreciate it.

Yes i think this is the closest i have come to finding my Ruth Marland.... so i will order the death cert.  Could you advise how i would know if this is the right one?  Would there be something i can look for? For instance would it say who registered her death... perhaps her son>? Would this be how i'd know if its the right Ruth?

Thanks

Rebecca

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 July 08 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca

Hopefully the certificate will contain one or more bits of information which might indicate that you have found the right person. If her son, Charles, was the informant that would be good (in this context) but there might also be something else .....or..... on the other hand, there might be nothing which proves that she is the correct lady.

However, looking through the indexes, if your relatives are correct about the time of her death, this entry looks like a reasonable gamble.

Here is a link to an excellent site which provides a lot of information about what each type of certificate may contain....

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/deaths.htm

I hope the certificate that you receive proves to be useful. Will you please let us know ?

Best wishes

DS ;)

Offline angel00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 July 08 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help, i will send off for the cert and let you know of my progress.

Offline angel00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 20:32 BST (UK) »
Good news!

You were right Alice Ruth Marland was my Ruth Marland, my great grandmother! I cant thank  you enough, i've been searching for her for over five years now and without your help, i doubt i would ever been able to trace her!

I received the death and birth certificates today and Charles Marland my grandfather, Alice Ruth's son registered her death.

Death Cert

Alice Ruth Marland died on 19th March 1938 (Charles birthday) aged 45 at St Mary's Hospital, following a hysterectomy.  Charles Marland, Son living at 11 Albert Terrace, Newton, New Mills, Derbyshire (address of Sarah Marland his aunt, as also registered on Charles marriage certificate in 1942)

Alice is listed as working as a domestic servant (as she was when Charles was born) living at 150 Henrietta St, Ashton under Lyne.  Her father is also listed as Buckley Marland, Stonemason.

Birth Cert

Alice Ruth Marland born 27th April 1892, 24 Earl St, Mossley, father Buckley Marland, Stonemason, mother Jane Marland (formerly Jane Morrell)

I cant thank you enough, your help has been invaluable!

If you have any further advice on how i proceed from here, as to how i trace Sarah Marland or even Charles sister Mary Marland (dob unknown) or even Alice's parents Buckley and Jane Marland i would again be very grateful.

Thanks again

Rebecca Marland

Alice Ruth Marland born 27th April 1892

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 August 08 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca

That is really good news :). Thank you very much for letting us know.

If you look on here http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp and search for Buckley Marland 1861 you should find the 1881 census entry. If you click on his name it will show the individual record for him. On that page, if you click on the word “Household” it will show the full census transcription with his parents and siblings (including a sister, Sarah :o).

If you search on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl you should be able to find his birth, marriage and death references.

DS

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 August 08 00:36 BST (UK) »
Here he is with his wife ....

Ashton Under Lyne RG12/3295 Folio 30 Page 34

Buckley Marland Head M 30 Stone Mason Lancs Mossley
Jane do Wife M 29 Shropshire
William do Son 9 Scholar Lancs Mossley
Edward do Son 5 Scholar Lancs Mossley
Harry do Son 3 Scholar Lancs Mossley
Alfred do Son 2 Lancs Mossley

24 Earl Street, Mossley

.... living next door to his parents and siblings who are at 26 Earl Street

DS

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 August 08 00:40 BST (UK) »
Rebecca

I think Buckley died in 1898 (and Jane possibly also died in 1899). Their sons William and Alfred are living with Buckley's parents on the 1901 census.

I have not yet found Alice Ruth (for sure) on the 1901 census nor can I readily see her brothers Edward and Harry (who appear on the 1891 census).

I will have a look for some more information later, when I am able to do so (we have visitors arriving tomorrow for a few days), unless anyone else can provide some for you in the meantime.

Buckley's father, Edward Marland seems to be visible on all the censuses back to 1841 showing his parents John and Margaret [possibly nee Cheetham] and siblings should you want those details.

DS ;)