Author Topic: Marland  (Read 9560 times)

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marland
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 August 08 16:51 BST (UK) »

Saddleworth HO107/1279/1 Folio 6 Page 4

John Marland 60 Mason
Margaret do 50
Ellen do 27 Winder Cotton
Martha do 25 Cotton Tenter
Sarah do 14 Cotton Tenter
Edward do 9

Baguley Hill, Upper Mill, Saddleworth, Yorkshire

All born out of County. Some ages over 15 rounded down

DS ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline angel00

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 October 08 23:05 BST (UK) »
Yes this is my relations! Marland.org and Cathy Haines have helped me trace my family back to Abraham 1695!

Seems like some others are looking for the Marlands also ... a little further back though .... but as theres a couple of Stone Masons ... maybe you're related Rebecca !!  :) :)

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.marland/24/mb.ashx

Hi DS !!  :)

Annie  :)

Offline angel00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 October 08 23:08 BST (UK) »
This is either a very interesting or a very misleading entry (or both ;D) ...

Leigh RG13/3592 Folio 78 Page 18

George Deighton Gardiner Head M 30 Railway Telegraph Clerk Lancs Lancaster
Sarah do Wife M 29 Lancs Mossley
Alice Marland Niece 8 Lancs Mossley

12 Henrietta Street, Leigh

In 1900 a Sarah Marland married George Deighton Gardiner at Mossley St George and she is the correct age to be the sister of Buckley Marland (as on the 1881 census). The niece shown above could be your Alice Ruth Marland.

If these are your people it would mean that Aunt Sarah should have been called Gardiner when Charles lived with her (unless she married again). If they are not yours, there are a lot of strange coincidences including the address at Henrietta Street (but in Leigh rather than Ashton)

What do you think ?

DS ???

ps The above is what (I think) the original census document says. On Ancestry the surname of George and Sarah is listed as Prudence and Alice is listed as Masland.

YES, YES, YES thanks DS you are correct this is my alice! Although still not sure which Sarah is my Aunt Sarah who lived at 1 Albert Terrace, Newtown, New Mills, Derbyshire.... in 1942, because there are so many in my line thanks to you and marland.org!!

Offline angel00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 October 08 23:10 BST (UK) »
My two penny worth, my wifes Aunt, Isabella Harling, b.1907, Lancaster, m. 1935, Ches. BMD, RM/157/7, Ashton u Lyne, Eric
Marland, son, b. 1946, do not know if there is a connection ?
                                       bodger

Hello Bodger, thanks to Marland.org., Cathy Haines and DS i've managed to trace my line back to Abraham 1695.  If you would like me to send you all my details, and line please contact me, so far no sign of your aunt, but that doesnt mean there isnt one,  have you tried marland.org?  I'd also be happy to give you a link to my anscesty and genes tree which has all the info on there.

Rebecca x

Offline angel00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 October 09 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Update:

Just to let you know I've had a breakthrough with the Sarah Ann Marland I was looking for (my grandfather Charles' aunt who he lived with)

I've received an email from a relative of Sarah Marland.  His grandmother was Sarah Marland (nee Riley) and lived at Albert Terrace, New Mills (same address as stated on Charlie's marriage cert) his mother was Edith Mary Marland...

I always presumed that Charles went to live with his Aunt when his mother died, but apparently it was well before then.... this relative has pictures of Charles as a young boy with Edith in New Mills....

I may also have solved the problem of Charles' missing sister Mary Marland (who was adopted to a family in Disley)....  I now wonder if she is Edith Mary Marland.... adopted out to the same Aunt Sarah.  The mind boggles!

Offline benjidog1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marland/Riley
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 April 12 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there

So pleased to see we are researching the same Marland / Riley family and wondered if you have seen the photos you mentioned of Charles with Edith.
My mum was born in Buxton in 1913 and her name was Edith Radford Wood. She was raised by someone other than her mother and for the first 13 years of her life, the mystery is who? In 1926 she went to live with Sarah Marland/Riley's  parents John Thomas and Mary Riley at 2 Boyds Buildings Hazelhurst Ashton. From this day she became Edith Riley. After her arrival a little boy also came to live with them, his name was Charlie and he used to tell people she was his sister although she wasn't really. This sounds like it was your grandfather.
At that time mum had an autograph/friendship book and one of the pages was signed UNCLE HARRY NEW MILLS.

In later years around the early 50s mum took my older sisters to visit 'Aunty Sally and Uncle Harry in New Mills. Please can you tell me if you know where they are buried.

I have information, photos, certificates etc of the Riley family and woiuld love to share them. Only last week my sister and I went to visit John and Mary Riley's grave and was suprised to find Alice Ruth Marland buried in the same grave.

Hope you will soon be in touch ( can't wait )

Kind Regards

Lynn