Author Topic: PLEASE ... new members ... read this !  (Read 5398 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE ... new members ... read this !
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 July 08 15:52 BST (UK) »
I kind of see both points of view

(Yes I know I'm sitting on the fence again)  ;D

I see why people don't give personal details and I feel a bit like that myself especially after having had my card cloned twice,

on the other hand a country helps especially when I tell someone to go to the local record office and they then tell me they are 10,000 miles away.  Ok your choice not to enter your country but then don't get snotty with me if I make that suggestion and you are 10,000 miles away and I can't even tell whether you are a gent or a lady let alone which continent you live on!  ::) ::) ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:00 BST (UK) »
  Ok your choice not to enter your country but then don't get snotty with me if I make that suggestion and you are 10,000 miles away and I can't even tell whether you are a gent or a lady let alone which continent you live on!  ::) ::) ::)

Kerry

My point entirely Kerry  ;D ;D ;D

I might say to someone that such and such can be viewed at the LMA..and then they tell me they don't even know where London is never mind the LMA.....boy you feel really stupid.  :-[

David( behindthefrogs) Thanks for putting my point across so eloquently,although I must say I ain't even looking for a county..but a country would be a great help.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:07 BST (UK) »
 :o Now you're scaring me! I have my home town on my profile so that people can ask me for help in that area if they want, but now I'm worried about people being able to trace me, or clone me (well, use my details but you know what I mean  ;D)
I'm the most private persion I know, so maybe I should change my profile.

It is very helpful though, if there is a general area on people's profiles.
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:14 BST (UK) »
Bev

I am sure due to my experiences at the moment I am being a little paranoid and oversensitive so I have simply put England.  I think most people on here who are regular know where I come from anyway because of where my interests lie and as we get to know other rootschatters that does become obvious sometimes.  But a country is a good starting point if you don't know someone.

My friend Gadget laughs at me sometimes because I'm excellent at thinking someone is female who is actually male and vice versa so when it comes to where people live I have no hope  ;D ;D ::) ::) and most of the time I don't know where somewhere is anyway  ;D

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:16 BST (UK) »
Kerry

Is it just on the Rootschat boards that you have this gender recognition problem,or face to face with people too?

Sorry couldn't resist that  ;D ;D ;D

Carol  :-*
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:22 BST (UK) »
Kerry

Is it just on the Rootschat boards that you have this gender recognition problem,or face to face with people too?

Sorry couldn't resist that ;D ;D ;D

Carol :-*

Kerry, ignore that cruel barb! I often don't know where/who I am when I wake up in the morning, let alone knowing whether people on here are male or female. I have just altered my profile and had done it and saved it before realising that I claim to live in a county which technically hasn't existed for many years! Not changing it again, so there!

Jen

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:26 BST (UK) »
You've reminded me of my most embarrassing moment.  :-[

I was in a house the day of a funeral, asking people what they wanted, tea or coffee, and I said to the person with me "The gentleman over there will have tea and this gentleman will have coffee."  I had no suspicions at all, until she mouthed frantically at me "They're both women."

Well, how was I to know? They were wearing three piece suits and ties, and.. well, I'd probably better not say anymore, I can feel myself getting all hot and bothered.  :-[
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:44 BST (UK) »
Kerry

Sorry couldn't resist that  ;D ;D ;D

Carol  :-*
LOL  ;D ;D ;D

What doesn't help sometimes is when a male has a female picture for an avatar and vice versa, that really confuses me - but then according to that I'm a hellebore  ::) ::) ;D ;D

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:44 BST (UK) »
Kerry

Sorry couldn't resist that ;D ;D ;D

Carol :-*

Kerry, ignore that cruel barb! I often don't know where/who I am when I wake up in the morning, let alone knowing whether people on here are male or female. I have just altered my profile and had done it and saved it before realising that I claim to live in a county which technically hasn't existed for many years! Not changing it again, so there!

Jen

Arr now I know where that county is, I've stayed there  ;D ;D ;D

Kerry