Author Topic: PLEASE ... new members ... read this !  (Read 4049 times)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE ... new members ... read this !
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 July 08 10:22 BST (UK) »
 :) I was thinking the same Patrish with countries...different referrences and making allowances for time zones in replies..

mare

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grandchildren sitting on a wooden spider!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 July 08 10:27 BST (UK) »
I too am with Lydart on this.

What's wrong with putting UK,USA,Canada,Australia or NZ etc.

Surely that doesn't give too much away for those who wish not to say where they actually live.

I often help someone and suggest a phone call or trip to a record office,and then feel really silly when they reply  "I live in Australia".

That fact on their profile would have saved embarrasment and time.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ricky1

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 July 08 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

But what's the point in putting the name of the country that they live in, when the person might be asking about a different country. To save embarrasment its just as easy to ask what county or country they asking about if they havnt put it in their request.

ricky ;)
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 July 08 11:07 BST (UK) »
I haven't put my location in, mostly because of a deep seated need to remain anonymous. But I then talk very openly, on various threads about where I live. So it's a bit of a nonsense isn't it. Maybe I'll update my profile.

Jen

Done!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 July 08 11:24 BST (UK) »
Apart from location I'd like people to put Male or Female in their profile.  Mentioning no names I was in correspondence ( for quite sometime) with someone I was thought was male and they turned out to be female! 
Abiam

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 July 08 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

But what's the point in putting the name of the country that they live in, when the person might be asking about a different country. To save embarrassment its just as easy to ask what county or country they asking about if they havnt put it in their request.

ricky ;)

I think you have missed the point Ricky.  When writing a reply which recommends a visit to a record office or similar, most of us check the person's profile to make sure that they live within a feasible distance.  Thus to avoid the embarrassment of a stupid reply, we would like to know where they live say within a hundred miles.  Country and County would be ideal.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 July 08 13:44 BST (UK) »
Apart from location I'd like people to put Male or Female in their profile. Mentioning no names I was in correspondence ( for quite sometime) with someone I was thought was male and they turned out to be female!
Abiam

I agree on giving a gender, for reasons given above. Giving info on which country you are, can help with look ups and requests, and the amount of area info that maybe needed, to help.  Although personally I think info on age is unimportant.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Gibbons, Mordecai/Mort, Squire, Thomas, David/Davies, Joseph, Bowen, Lewis, Rees, Williams, Jones, Llewellyn, Morgan - Glam
Lewis - Ystradgynlias Breckonshire
Gibbons, Timbrell, Beale, Ludlow - Glos/Wilts
Davies, Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd, Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Shoemac, Squire, Keirle, Small - Somerset
Berry, Baggot, Lee, Clayton - Lancs
Baggot, Hurley, Keaveny, Shiel, Flynn - Ireland
Yelland, Bray, Trethewey  - Cornwall

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 July 08 14:03 BST (UK) »
On behalf of the RootsChat Moderating team, may I say this?

The views expressed here are personal ones and do not indicate any "official" stance by RootsChat itself. There are options in the profile to indicate as much - and as little - as the member wishes. It is up to the individual member to choose which parts they wish to fill in.

Whatever they choose to do, we will welcome them and try to help in best spirit of RootsChat. :)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 July 08 15:35 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, Nell, no compulsion AT ALL ... but it does help !   

I'm sometimes surprised at the personal info that people DO give ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk