Author Topic: does anyone know this placename  (Read 5071 times)

Offline DonnyB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: does anyone know this placename
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 July 08 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolyn,
There is only one letter difference between Ballyhaunis and Ballyhaulis (which is what your scan looks like to me), so I think Ballyhaunis worth considering. 

And just to add, people often gave their nearest town so your Noone's may have been from one of the surrounding townlands rather then the town itself.

Best of luck with your search,
Donny 

Offline CarolynWinterburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 August 08 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks to you all . I have found them in Bekan, near Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo, ( Donny gets the prize).
I was looking for Matthew but it seems his name was Patrick, as it was on one of the census. He married Bridget Waldron in 1833 in Bekan.
I appreciate all your efforts
Kind regards
Carolyn
Flint Norfolk, Ward Suffolk, Stanton Norfolk, Hunter Norfolk, Winterburn Middlesex, Bowles Norfolk, Boote Staffs, Bossons Cheshire.

Offline luas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 August 08 11:04 BST (UK) »
My guess is Ballyhooley (Co. Cork).  I take it this is an English census?  Going back that far, chances are the enumerator rather than the householder had to fill it in.  Often working in overcrowded and dimly-lit conditions and faced with the prospect of listing such a large household, I don't suppose his priority was to write down an Irish place name so that people well over a century later could read it.  If the householder himself filled it in, it's possible he didn't know how to spell the place name.  Not so long ago, I was in Killane, Co. Wexford (famous for the song "Kelly the Boy from Killane").  In the village, there were two official signs with two different spellings of Killane.

Offline DonnyB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 August 08 11:51 BST (UK) »
I am delighted you found your family Carolyn.  Thanks for letting us know and the best of luck with the rest of your search.  Donny.