Author Topic: Griffiths Valuations please - Mc Loughlin and Russell - Craigs  (Read 4423 times)

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths Valuations please - Mc Loughlin and Russell - Craigs
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 July 08 21:12 BST (UK) »
No - all the children were born in Ireland. I have the death records of Elizabeth and Robert, and these give their own parents' names, but no places alas. It's in large part thanks to these records that I have as much as I do.

The other family names were McAloney and McKay.. the 'Eliza McKay' is interesting, as I'm wondering if she could be widowed. I don't know if widows reverted to their birth name, as many Scottish ones did.

Jenny

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 July 08 21:26 BST (UK) »
In Ireland widows were almost always known by their husband's surname not their maiden name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 July 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
OK - in Scotland they might or might not be known by the husband's name, and of course the age at which they were widowed and length of time married would be a factor here. But the legal name in Scotland remained the birth name.  Thanks - I'm posting in order to learn.

So this Eliza McKay would probably have been somebody else - maybe somebody else related, but not 'my' Eliza. McKay who married James McLaughlin and became the mother of Robert.

Jenny

Offline aylerie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 September 19 21:48 BST (UK) »
I have just come across this as I have been looking into family links to Cullybacky. This William McLoughlin was my GGgrandfather and Robert McLoughlin was one of his sons. I had the names and the location Hillmount/Craigs from my maternal grandmother.She grew up there although she was born in Glasgow. There seems to have been a lot of coming & going to Scotland.
The family were CoI and the Craigs Parish Church records, which are all on the excellent Cullybacky Hist. Soc website, have filled in quite a bit of detail on births, deaths and marriages.
However, the church records begin in the 1840's and I haven't yet been able to get back earlier than this - also I haven't seen anything on a Russell connection.
I would be interested in any suggestions for further research.

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 September 19 01:48 BST (UK) »
This William McLoughlin was my GGgrandfather and Robert McLoughlin was one of his sons.

Fascinated! Thanks for posting this! I see on the Craigs parish church burials William, in Hillmount, aged 70 buried 07/01/1886, putting his birth around 1815. My Robert would have been, I think, his brother, born around 1817 from his death record in Scotland. The Robert in the GV could be either William's brother or William's son - I'm thinking brother, as my Robert didn't come to Scotland until the 1860s.

I've been to the Cullybackey pages a few times but there's more material on there now, so thanks again. I have now almost all of births/baptisms of siblings of my Elizabeth (born 1851), daughter to Robert McLaughlin and Elizabeth Russell. They were baptised in the Cullybackey Presbyterian church. There's a gap in the baptisms from 1843-48, which may be a glitch in uploading or an actual gap, and the birth of her brother Robert (later a coppersmith in Greenock) would be in that gap.

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 September 19 01:58 BST (UK) »
There is also (from the Craigs burial records) a James McGlaughlin aged 64 buried in 1847, who may be the father of my Robert.

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 September 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
Aylerie, do you know if any descendants of your William have done a DNA test? It would be good to se if there is a connection. I've tested with Ancestry, both my brother and I with FTDNA, and there's cousins likewise descended from Robert who've tested with Ancestry also and uploaded to gedmatch.com.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 September 19 20:39 BST (UK) »

However, the church records begin in the 1840's and I haven't yet been able to get back earlier than this - also I haven't seen anything on a Russell connection.
I would be interested in any suggestions for further research.

Craigs parish was only created in about 1836. Population expansion in the area led to it being hived off from Ahoghill parish. So for earlier births etc you need to search Ahoghill Church of Ireland records.
Elwyn

Offline aylerie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
Prompted by your reference to James McLoughlin, aged 64 buried in 1847 I revisited the Craigs church records. I see there is also a Betty (Elizabeth) McLoughlin, aged 70 buried in 1848, so it looks as though these may be William's ( and Robert's) father and mother - both of whom you have information on from Robert's Scottish death certificate. The name Elizabeth carried down both sides to the next generation because my GGgrandmother (William's eldest daughter, dob 1850) was also called Elizabeth.
From my reading of the church records there seems to have been only the one McLoughlin family in the CoI congregation.I know from my grandmother that they lived at Hillmount. The Robert mentioned in the Griffeth's Valuation is William's second son, with whom she lived as a child.There is a grave marking his family plot in Craig's churchyard.
 I was aware there were other McLoughlins in the Presbyterian records but, until your reply, couldn't see any link to them. I will now have a more careful look through these.
I can also try to follow up on the very helpful information from Elwyn Soutter pointing to the earlier Ahoghill church records.