Author Topic: Powis family, Herefordshire  (Read 10902 times)

Offline Eveline Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Powis family, Herefordshire
« on: Saturday 12 July 08 10:27 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone else was researching the Powis family of Herefordshire.

Richard Powis was baptised 27 Feb 1706 in Brimfield, Herefordshire parents Thomas Powis and Anne.

Richard had 6 siblings Mary 1695, Thomas 1696, Anne 1699, John 1701, Elizabeth 1703 and William 1705.

Richard married Anne Constable in 1736 and they had 7 children, Elizabeth, Sarah, Ann (died as infant), another Ann, William Mary and Susannah.

Thomas married Anne Childe, I have not found any children for Thomas and Anne

John married Mary Haynes and they had 6 children Anne, John, Mary, William died as a young child, Thomas and another William.

I have not found marriages for Richards other siblings Mary, Anne, Elizabeth and William.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone with a knowledge of this family.

Eveline

Offline russell powis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Powis family, Herefordshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 09 16:06 BST (UK) »
HI
I am generally interested in the Powis name as I am currently stuck in Birmingham c 1800 so trying to find where they came from.
Could you tell me more about this line?

Russell Powis
Powis,George, Croft, Weekes, Whitley. Mace,
Cotterill,Green,Frankcom, Weston,Village

Offline Eveline Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 09 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Russell5
I don't have anything more recent to the Powis family than 1758 and certainly not as far forward as 1800.   In fact, I don't have a lot on the Powis family at all.

Susannah Powis baptised in Brimfield, Herefordshire 16th April 1758 daughter of Richard Powis and Ann Constable.
Susannha is the sister of my 4x Great Grandmother Elizabeth Powis baptised 11th May 1738.  Elizabeth married James Pooten in 1764.

Most of what I had, I put on Rootschat hoping at least one of the names would strike a bell with another researcher.

The only thing I can add to what I already have on screen is the baptism dates of all but the earliest Thomas and Ann and marriage dates of some of the others.

I did look for a marriage for William baptised 1746 but the only one which could vaguely be his had him marrying c 1790 and I think he would be too old for this to be him.

I am sorry I cannot be of any more help than this.

Eveline

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 09 07:04 BST (UK) »
Why don`t you both try the 1835 Tithe Survey....google  Tithe Survey Herefordshire .....then type in the name of the village(s) your Powis ancestors lived in....this was a land owners survey and also gives the residents who lived on these farms/cottages/smallholdings etc.....I went to Norton Canon ,Herefordshire and found 34 dwellings owned by my Merrick family............good luck.....if you get a little stuck PM me and I will do a search for you.....but it`s better and more satisfaction if you find them yourself.....of course there`s no guarantee the Powis family owned any land.......allan ;)
good news....the Powis family own 10 fields/farms/cottages around the Brimfield area but not in the Brimfield Parish...in adjoining parishes
Thomas Powis
William
Francis
John...are the owners.....thats lucky for you...you should be able to go to the 1841 census and find the family concerned....for instance
Cobnach,in Kingsland Parish is owned by Francis Powis...
find Cobnach,Kingsland 1841 census and it should give you the full family....allan  ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 09 07:47 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for a very enjoyable Hour...for the record...all on www.familysearch.org.uk
William Herbert Powis ,the Earl of Powis of Powis Castle Montgomeryshire marries into  the family of Henry V111` s wife Catherine Parr..
William Marries Ann Parr.....William dies in 1569 at Hampton Court...Williams eldest son EDWARD HERBERT POWIS B 1547 died 1594 THE EARL OF POWIS marries MARY STANLEY  b 1550 of Standon,Herefordshire.....the origins of the Powis family in Herefordshire...and they stayed in Herefordshire....so to Lady Eveline and Lord Russell...I bid you good morning...lol....looks like you both come from good old fashioned Royal Welsh blood....the only true Brits on this Island....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Eveline Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 May 09 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan

Thanks for all the information you have given me, it all looks very interesting.   I have tried to find the 1835 Tythe by doing what you said, but I have been unable to find anything regarding the owners of fields, so I must be doing something wrong.  All I could find was historical sites and there seem to be plenty of those at Brimfield.

I did want to look i any case 1835 is too late for my Powis family, as I am from a distaff line.  Elizabeth Powis my 4x GGM was baptised 1738 the daughter daughter of Richard Powis and Ann Constable.  They had 6 other children.    Richard the father baptised 1706 was the son of Thomas Powis and Ann???  Richard also had 6 siblings.    I have not found the marriage of Thomas Powis and Ann, neither have I found Thomas's birth/baptism.   William, Richard and Thomas seem to be popular Powis family names, but I have not come across a Francis yet.

As my husband has 3 noble families in his ancestry, I do like the idea of being descended from the Welsh Princes but of course that has to be "proven".  At the moment the best my ancestors can be is farmers and shopkeepers, but they mostly seem to be ag labs.   

Now to go back to familysearch and see if I can find anything different on there.  Though that is usually my first port of call and then I try to "prove" what I found on there.

Thanks once again for replying.

Eveline

Offline Lcruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 March 10 04:31 GMT (UK) »
All,

I have just read these posts and registered on this site. My name is Ross Powis and my family come from Hereford. I was born in Australia, but my father came from Hereford and some of his family are still there. I am not sure if I can help at all. The info I have is this;
- my grandfather was James John Powis
- GG was Robert Powis\
- GGG Charles Powis

Regards
Ross Powis
Powis

Offline russell powis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 19:39 BST (UK) »
I believe James John was born 1871 in Wellington to Robert powis and Elizabeth Ann jones
Robert was born 1848 to Charles powis and Elizabeth wall, married 1844
Charles powis was born around 1822 to James powis and Mary
I have quite a bit on this family if interested
Powis,George, Croft, Weekes, Whitley. Mace,
Cotterill,Green,Frankcom, Weston,Village

Offline Lcruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 June 13 00:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Russell,

Thank you for this information - it ties in with what I have. Are you related to this line of the Powis  "clan"?

Are you able to PM me so that we can chat?

Regards
Ross Powis
Powis