Author Topic: The Woodhouse, Temple Guiting?  (Read 23042 times)

Offline Melart

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Woodhouse, Temple Guiting?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

I just joined this great site to reply to your posting from earlier this year.

I lived at Woodhouse until 2005 so I have quite a reasonable knowledge about it, I hope the information that follows will suffice for now, but don't hesitate to ask me more if you wish.

The Woodhouse is in Temple Guiting, but only by a few yards as the boundary crosses in front of the house and can be seen as a slight ditch which runs there still.  However, the address is Guiting Power.  These where formally Upper and Nether Guiting.  Guiting Power means a rushing brook as the beginnings of the Thames start there (eventually that is as the brook becomes the Windrush, then the Isis before finally the Thames).

The house stands on the 13th century foundations of a farm, but became a large house in the 16th Century.  It is said that for a time it was the hunting lodge for the monks at Hailes Abbey.  The track that they took riding their horses there and back is quite easy to map out.

Eventually, when it was the trend, a grand Georgian front was added, at which point it was referred to as the Manor House.  However this is confusing as there is already a Manor House in Guiting Power.  In the mid 70's a fascinating person called Raymond Cochrane, who came from a wealthy Scottish family, decided to re-build Guting Power as it was quite decrepit.  He bought most of the houses in the village and re-built them, fixing their rents at a pepper-corn level in order to preserve the native population.  Woodhouse at the time was in a very poor state.  It had been owned by villagers whose ancestors still live in or near to the village, but it was very much the old farmhouse behind the façade.  There was purportedly still corn stored in one of the rooms on an upper floor, which resulted in a very healthy rat population.

Raymond had the house re-built virtually in its entirety, retaining only the Georgian frontage, but building an entirely grand, steel-framed interior.  The drawing room alone was 42' x 16' and so too the library above it, which was full of bookshelves to every wall. (This was my studio for the time we were resident as I am a portrait painter.)  He loved his village and yet was mistrusted by some of the villagers.  Once his wife died he became something of a recluse, and handed over the running of the estate to a charitable trust.  Unfortunately the Trust rode rough-shod over most of Mr Cochranes beliefs and requests and he appeared to die quite unhappy in the late 1990's.  He kept a village newspaper going for years which is very interesting to read, but you can sense his frustration as the villagers appeared to believe he was only content on filling his pockets from them instead of seeing him as the philanthropist he was.  He battled for some time to have the boundary moved behind the house in order that it might reside officially in his beloved Guiting Power, but to no avail.  He again referred to it as The Manor House.

The farm-manager, Nick Bumford, who still runs the estate had many fond memories of him.  He would tell me of the days he spent with him discussing the organic farming there and the abundance of rare birds and plants.  It was Raymond's wish that the house become a foundation to promote wildlife conservation after his death.  However, it was leased out privately which is how I came to enjoy it.

The cellars in the house still remain, in the original house they were the kitchens.  The house in those days was full of small rooms and passage ways, and must have been quiet fascinating.  On the roof is a cupola which  contains the doorway from a spiral staircase on the top floor to access the roof.  The views from there are spectacular, and it was quite something to witness the sheep in the parkland in front being herded up by the dogs.  The park often had deer in it too as they came from the woods at the back.

The house is called Woodhouse because to the rear are 365 acres of the most wonderful woodland, criss-crossed by many paths.  We spent so much time walking there, and we did get to know our way around.  Despite its size, it was very rare to meet anybody else walking too.

In the lower garden is a well.  We did measure it and it turned out to be 117' deep!  On really cold days (like today) it would actually steam like a great funnel as the temperature difference was so much from bottom to top.

In the church is a plaque that remembers an 8 year old girl called Mary Elizabeth Bennett.  We often heard 'Lizzie' on the top floor, especially when there were children in the house.  She would also get toys out after they had been put away too.  There is another plaque that states there is a bequest to the village of bread to the poor from Woodhouse.

We had many happy days there despite unfortunately suffering from great personal illnesses, and I always wanted to learn more.  The greatest experience though was looking out of those great doors at the front over the Cotswold vista, sometimes the combine harvesters hauling over the distant hills, but most often the sheep with their lambs playing tag, and leaping onto the huge roots of the weeping ash trees that stood in the middle of the park.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes
Melissa

P.s., I do have more photographs

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Wow Melissa!  What a beautiful house.

Welcome to Rootschat and thanks for sharing!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 December 08 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Melissa - I am overwhelmed by the information you have given  :)

I did eventually find it on a map - but all this information really brings it to life.

My great x 5 grandfather gave The Woodhouse as his address in his will in 1795 - when I looked at the PRs for Temple Guiting at my local LDS centre, it appeared as the address for several different entries over a long period (most of these entries were not of my ancestors  ;))

I will spend some time reading through it again now.

Thank you again.

Maggie

I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline pawcards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Woodhouse, Temple Guiting? COMPLETED THANKS
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 February 09 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I was amazed to find all this about The Woodhouse, having only just come across it in my searching.  My interest is with Richard Deane b1610, who was supposedly christened at The Woodhouse, is it likely that his family owned it then?  How would I find this out? Later he lived at Pinnock, Glos.

Any views/ideas most welcome

Anne

Offline charlieblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 April 09 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,
I have a copy of my gt.gt.gt.gt. grandfather's will.  He was William Arkell of The Woodhouse in Temple Guiting.  He died in 1815.  In his will he bequethed to his brother in law John Walker of Guiting Power the Woodhouse farm and land.To his wife Hannah he left £300 and the furniture.
I have been to Guiting in Gloucestershire and saw "The Woodhouse" from the road, I now wish I had knocked on the door and asked the owners if I could look around.
I have just come across your queries about the woodhouse.  I am the descendent of William and  Hannah's daughter Honor Arkell who married William Peter Gue.
gue, arkell, walker, williams, chapman,hoines, garside,worsley,sandy,grigg,newham,

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 April 09 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Charlie and Anne

Welcome!

I hope Maggie will be back soon to reply to your posts, but meanwhile enjoy the site

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 April 09 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlie and Anne,

I know very little about the Woodhouse other than was posted by Melissa - perhaps the Records Office in Gloucester might have copies of the deeds etc. that would establish ownership over a period of time?  I haven't been able to visit the RO as yet but hope to in the futuire at some point - it's on my list  :)

Charlie,

I have copies of the wills of my great x4 grandparents, both of whom gave their address as The Woodhouse - but there is no mention in either will of ownership ....

The first will, that of Richard Staite, was drawn up in 1795 and proved in 1798.  In it Richard bequeaths "all the Rest Residue and Remainder of my monies Securities for Money Goods Chattels Estate and Efects whatsoever and whosoever ...." to be divided between his wife Mary and nephew Richard Staite (who was living with him at the time) but it does not say specifically the house.  Richard and Mary had only one surviving daughter who married into the Dowdeswell family and Richard bequeaths money in trust to his grandson.

The second will is that of Mary Staite (Richard's widow) drawn up in 1798 and proved in 1807.  When the will was drawn up Mary was still at the Woodhouse and in it she bequeathed "remainder of my Monies Securities for Money Goods Chattels Personal Estate and Effects whatsoever and whosoever ...." to the same nephew Richard Staite who was living with her at the Woodhouse.  Again, no specific mention of the property.

I have not, so far, been able to trace the nephew Richard Staite with any certainty because it is quite a common name in those parts, so don't know how long he would have remained there.  However, it would look as if he didn't remain for long if your ancestor was there in 1815, unless of course your ancestor owned the Woodhouse and mine leased it from him .....

It's all very interesting isn't it?  Every now and again another small piece fits into the puzzle  :)

Maggie
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline AlanBudden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 April 09 15:48 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating message thread! Particularly as I have recently made some connections g1, g2 and g3 grandparents in Guiting. 

Emily Ellen Carter born 1862 Guiting married James Brown in Cheltenham in 1882.

Her father was George Carter born 1838 Guiting Power.  He married Prudence Davis in 1861.  Prudence was born in Maugersbury, Stow-on-the-Wold in 1842.  I have George and Prudence in various censuses but can't find them in 1881 or separately in 1841.   Any hints?

George's father was Joseph born 1793 in Guiting and married an Elizabeth c1822.

Now for the real point of this post, how do you pronounce GUITING?

Alan

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 April 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

The original spelling was Guyting - so I think that must be how it should be pronounced (although I tend to say Gitting  ::))

Maggie