Author Topic: The Woodhouse, Temple Guiting?  (Read 23111 times)

Offline AlanBudden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Woodhouse, Temple Guiting?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 April 09 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maggie.  And I have just found Maria Davis, a sweeps widow and pauper with 5 children, one of whom is Prudence!

Regards

Alan

Offline charlieblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 April 09 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Trying to make sense of this copy of the will I have of William Arkell died 1815.  It begins "This is the last will & testament of William Arkell of the Woodhouse in the parish of Temple Guiting in the county of Gloucester, Gentleman.  First I give and bequeath unto my dear wife Hannah the sum of three hundred pounds to be paid to her as soon as convenient.......And I also give & bequeath to my said wife Hannah all such parts of my household goods and furniture and other effects which were given to her by her late parents who resided at Grimley in the county of Worcester............
And I give devise and bequeath to my brother in law John Walker of Guiting Power in the County of Gloucester aforesaid Gentleman, all and singular the Messuage or Tenement together with all and every the lands ...........(word here I cannot make out) and premises there to belonging called the Woodhouse farm situated in the parish of Temple Guiting aforesaid and all and singular other my freehold copyhold and leasehold messuages lands tenements and real estate whatsoever and of what tenure or quality so ever which I now am or at the time of my death shall be seized or possessed respectively of or in any manner intitled to or interested .....either in possession conversion remainder or expectancy and at law of in equity and also all my ready monies, securities for money and all my farming stock, implements in husbandry chattels and personal estate and effects whatsover...........    it goes on for several pages like this.  I presumed they owned the Woodhouse because of what it says in this will but I am not so sure now after reading other peoples comments here.        Interesting isn't it!      Maureen     (charlieblue)   
gue, arkell, walker, williams, chapman,hoines, garside,worsley,sandy,grigg,newham,

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen,

It certainly is interesting  :) 

From what you have here I would also think that William Arkell owned the Woodhouse.  When was the will drawn up? I'm thinking the date you have was when it was proven.  If it was drawn up before my ancestor died in 1807 then I should think that my ancestors rented the place from him .... My ancestor, Richard Staite, was also a 'gentleman' - but as you see from what I copied, he didn't appear to own any property - just land and securities.

Intriguing indeed  :)

Maggie

I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline charlieblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 May 09 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,
Sorry I am a little late in replying to your question about when my ancestor's will was written etc.  It was written 9th March, 1815 and proved on 5th October, 1815.  William Arkell died in July 1815.  So it looks like your ancestor lived there before mine. 

Regards, Maureen (charlieblue) 
gue, arkell, walker, williams, chapman,hoines, garside,worsley,sandy,grigg,newham,

Offline sghague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 08:45 BST (UK) »
Like others I am new to this thread but found it as a result of seeking information about Woodhouse in Temple Guiting/Guiting Power.  I am a doctoral student at Oxford working on a group of about eighty smaller Georgian houses and their families in Gloucestershire between 1680 and 1760.  Woodhouse is one of those houses on my list, which I identified from the National Monuments Record website (www.images ofengland.co.uk).  The number is 128768.  It is also covered briefly (from an architectural perspective) in the Buildings of England series, Gloucestershire 1: The Cotswolds, p 395.  I have not yet done a great deal of research on this house, but was doing field work recently to have a preliminary look at it.  I did not know exactly where the house was located and could not find it so the discussion of mapping was very helpful.

In any event, I am particularly interested to know more about the house's builders/owners earlier in the C18, and was fascinated with the work of some of those who have posted messages.  Has anyone traced their ancestry, as residents of Woodhouse, earlier than the 1790s?  If anyone has further information about the history of the house or the families who built or occupied it earlier in the C18 I would be very grateful.

Also, it might interest some that a similar structure that is part of my study, Barton House, located a short distance away at Barton seems to be having expansive building conservation work done (see below).  I wonder if there might have been any connection between the two.  If anyone knows anything about that it would interest me as well.

Finally, would it be worth writing to the Guiting Manor Amenity Trust for further information?

Very many thanks,
Stephen

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 May 09 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

I will leave those concerned to answer your specific queries but I suggest that you make a second posting on the Gloucestershire board requesting information, as this post might be overlooked as it occurs in the middle of a thread.

You might get more custom that way!

Good luck with your project - keep us informed.

(Note that we usually discourage duplicate posting but there doesn't seem to be any danger of duplication of effort in responding in this instance!)

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Rainmaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
In response to maggiefishblue's postings, I would like to say that I am a decendant of the 'Staites' of Guiting Power. My Grt Grt Grt Grandfather Thomas Yeates married Sarah Staite in the 1850's and Richard Staite was Sarah's Father. I just wondered if my Richard was any link to yours.

Many Thanks,
Rainmaker

Gloucestershire : Yeates Wiggettt Staite Wilson Betteridge Hall
Yorkshire and Durham : Reed Andrew

Offline biddulphian1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 February 11 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
Came across your discussion re The Woodhouse of Guiting Power, a branch of my family were in the ownership of the house in the 17th Century - the Deane family. One of their descendents was Richard Deane the regicide. Further details can be obtained via tribal pages.
deane, adams, repton, morris, turner, jackson, meare, mayor, ford,cottrell, fynney, doorbar,

Offline pynupwoady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Regarding The Woodhouse or The Wood House of Castlett near Lower Guiting.  I have attached a transcription of the will of David Hughes (1700-1753) who mentions owning the Manor of Lower Guiting in his will, which I hope will provide some clues for the people who have already entered very interesting information.  I am related to Thomas Vernon whose wife Eleanor was the sister of David Hughes.  I can be contacted on

Moderator comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the PM system to exchange such information

if anyone wants more information.   
Please see attachment. 

Joan Hunt