Author Topic: Same family of Percivals in Longford and Leitrim  (Read 31340 times)

Offline cliffordsclarks

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Same family of Percivals in Longford and Leitrim
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 03 September 16 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, sorry I'm a few years late to the party, but I am also starting to research the Percivals from Leitrim/Longford.  I suspect they are related to my ancestors the Cliffords from Newtownforbes, co. Longford/Moher, Leitrim.  My ancestor Henry Clifford emigrated to New York City in 1852 and in 1855 was living with an Alexander Percival, b. 1827, and his wife Jane (McKinley) Percival.  Henry's mother was a McCormick so some of the posts on this stream have definitely piqued my interest.  I believe Alexander had a brother, Arthur Percival (wife Elizabeth) and a brother Thomas Percival living close by in Brooklyn.  The Cliffords and the Percivals lived side by side in Brooklyn for years and years.  If anyone knows of Percivals who emigrated to Brooklyn in the early 1850s, or an associated with the Cliffords, I would be very interested.  I have done quite a bit of research on the Cliffords in Brooklyn and Leitrim/Longford.

Offline linny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 November 17 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi cliffordsclarks,I just found your message.
Unfortunately I cant see a direct link with my family but I'm sure it's the same family of Percivals.  We repeat Alexander,Thomas and Arthur as first names often.
I think many went to the US during the famine and just 2 came here to Australia  an Arthur and Henry although Henry returned to die in Dublin.
One branch also ended up in New Zealand.
Certainly our Percivals intermarried with the McCormicks.  I imagine he is still alive but there is a  Percival McCormick who was an astronaut in the US.  I have been in touch with him but it was at least ten years ago.  He was definitely part of our family. Do you know of him?
Keep in touch.  The furthest we can go back is our ggrandfathers father John born about 1795.  We cannot find out whre the Percivals came from before Leitrim.

Offline NB31225

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 August 18 20:38 BST (UK) »
hi, i notice you have been discussing Anne Rosemond/ Percival. new to root chat so not sure time frame involved! I would be very interested in any family still in the leitrim area that would be a contact. I am 4th generations down the line. If anyone is on ancestry website - find the 'Michalia' tree! thanks

Offline linny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 08 September 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, I have just discovered your new posts on Rootschat!
I have been beavering away at Percival family history for about 25 years.  If you go back and read my posts(why bother I'll start again) you will see that my mother was
Linnea Percival daughter born 1915 to William(born in NSW 1865)
son of Arthur born in Co Leitrim in 1828 to John Percival and Anne Rosemond
The Thomas you talk of who was the son of John P and Ann R was married to Margaret Irwin. He died in 1910.  He is mentioned in the 1901 Census of Ireland.  His family of 5 are the only non Catholics in the townland of Aughriman, Kiltoghert Co.Leitrim.
They had 8 children one of whom is John Shaw P (he dies in 1966).  He marries Elizabeth Ann Browne  and they had 4 children Kathleen ,Ivy ,John Alexander and Margaret.  There are also some who die as infants.
About 14 years ago I went to visit Kathleen and Ivy.  Kathleen was in her 90s and she and her sisters have now all died. I don't know about Alex who was a GP in Sligo (I think)
Thomas and Margaret also had another son William Alexander who migrated to New Zealand.He and his wife had three sons Thomas 1914,John 1921 and Campbell 1923.
They have all died but Cam did an enormous amount of Percival family history until his death this year. 
I live in Melbourne,Victoria.  When I was in Ireland visiting Kathleen in Mohill I drove over and had lunch with Sandy Perceval at Temple House.  At that time Sandy referred to our family of Percivals as cousins but I have never been able to discover a blood connection.This is mainly due to the fact that we cannot discover where John Percival(our earliest forebear)was  born in about 1795.
My family tree shows many connections with McCormacks and Jones and Irwins etc.  They all seem to descend from John but where did he come from before he married Ann Rosemond?????
Patrick Perceval(note spelling) suggests we may be from the wrong side of the Perceval blanket but the only proof my be in the papers at Temple House.  Rodney now looks after the house but his grand mother had a lot of papers in the past.
Here are some extra notes I have made in the past
"On the IGI I found some information that said William Perceval married Anne Rosemond (b) 1795 or 1815 Wexford Sligo.

There was a garrison in Longford at one time. Could the original Percival have been in the Army?

Viscount John Perceval was the 1st Earl of Egmont.  The papers are in the National Library Ireland  MIC/341

A John Percival held a lease in Newtownforbes in 1782. He was probaly at least 18 by this date  which makes him born before 1764. This is possibly the father or grandfather of this John.

This John Percival does not have a son named John which was most unusual at that time.  He names the earliest child we have a record of Alexander.Was this our John's father or is there an earlier son called John who dies?

There is an Alexander Percival who dies in Ennybegs,Co Longford not far from Lissargernal in 1860. He is 99 at death. Born c.1761 Could he be our John's father?
There is an Arthur who is born in c.1792 postmaster aged 28 who is the son of Alexander. Dies in Rusky.  Co Longford."
Does anyone have any questions?
Suggestions?
I have a few family contacts still in Ireland if we need research
I've had my DNA done......have all of you?  I did it through Ancestry.com

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 08 September 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
1.  Are the ones buried in Coolaney Cemetery part of the Temple House family?

2.  The family of 5 that are the only non Catholics in the townland of Aughriman, Kiltoghert                              Co.Leitrim.... are they buried in Kiltoghert?

3.  The Newtownforbes ones... Are they buried in Newtownforbes? or Longford? 
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline linny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 08 September 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
1. Coolaney is near Temple House so I imagine so.....how is the surname spelt?
2.I don't know.   Why?
3.Not sure.   
Why do we want to know where they are buried?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 08 September 18 12:23 BST (UK) »

1. Coolaney is near Temple House so I imagine so....how is the surname spelt?  Perceval

2.I don't know.   Why?   Was going to ask gravedigger who has the Cemetery ledgers!

3.Not sure.   Why do we want to know where they are buried?  To see if there are Name/Dates on gravestones!

Offline NB31225

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 08 September 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
easy to find out - my mum lives next door to the graveyard in Rathbarron, Coolaney in the old rectory! 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 08 September 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
easy to find out - my mum lives next door to the graveyard in Rathbarron, Coolaney in the old rectory!

Yes..that is for the Coolaney ones!