Author Topic: Same family of Percivals in Longford and Leitrim  (Read 31406 times)

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Same family of Percivals in Longford and Leitrim
« Reply #45 on: Monday 19 April 21 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
Is that David O'N who is a DNA match to my son?!! 8)
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Offline Neil P

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 30 May 22 02:34 BST (UK) »
I'm Neil Percival, descended from John, then Thomas, then William then Thomas (my dad). We are the New Zealand connection or one of them! This research string is very interesting.

Looking at the confusion re the apparent appearance of John Percival / Anne Rosemond both in Longford and Leitrim, it is my understanding that they started in Longford and shifted to near Drumshambo on the death of the father of Anne Rosemond. I think this meant they were moving from a tenant situation to land ownership. I think this information was from Margaret or Kathleen (my dad's first cousins).

I understand this land was lost/confiscated in the 'Land Commissions' after the formation of the Irish Free State and at that stage they shifted to near Mohill. This would be researchable.

Offline linny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 17 February 24 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, So, 29 years after I started enquiring about my Percival family from my English uncle Robert Percival FRCS FRCOG we are no further along the road to discovering where our Percival family originated.  I am now 77 and need to deal with this.
I suspect that John b.1795(?) was at least second generation in Ireland.
Ancestry DNA relates me to all of you Neil, Amanda, Larry, Bill's wife and perhaps others and between us I think we have a very comprehensive tree since 1815
It would appear that many of the Percival men were RIC, some were tenant farmers. One was a bog ranger(a bit disappointing),a postmaster, bailiff.
They were protestant.
Did they arrive in the military?
Did they come with some planted landowner?
Were they Scots or English originally?
Unfortunately DNA on Ancestry only goes back to John's generation as far as I can see so I don't have any Percival matches from any earlier people.
What do we do next?
I'm almost at the point of calling in an expert to help.  Does anyone else want to be involved in this?
I think I'm crowd sourcing here!
Who do we approach?
Anyway I'd like to hear opinions