Author Topic: Help required on Manlove Alliott co ltd photo  (Read 27020 times)

Offline hireman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help required on Manlove Alliott co ltd photo
« on: Monday 14 July 08 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
can anyone throw any light on this photo belonging to my neighbour, his father's in the photo, but where were they based in Nottingham and what would he have been working on?.
Regards
Ken

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Help required on Manlove Alliott co ltd photo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 08 15:46 BST (UK) »
If you google Manlove Alliott Nottingham you will find a number of hits including the Natioal Archives which leads you to documents held at Notts. Archives. It appears they made laundry machinery.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bob6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 08 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Hireman,  The machine in your photo is a Rotary Dryer. The cylinder was rotated by an electric motor and dried any type of material.  I served my apprenticeship at Manlove Alliott from 1949-1955 as a Draughtsman.
My first job when I returned from National Service in 1957 was to design a rotary dryer for Sanatogen at Loughborough.
The factory was Bloomsgrove Works on Ilkeston Road in Radford Nottingham.  The office was on Norton Street.
During the war they manufactured guns and the assembly shop was known as the Gun Shop.
They made Laundry, Hospital, equipment and Palm Oil plants.
I left the company in 1959 and they moved to Scotland some time later.
Bob6

Offline Ericksd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 September 08 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob6, We have a Manlove Alliott destructor of 1901 vintage here in Simon's Town, South Africa. It has been mothballed since 1957 but is in reasonable condition. We are keen to restore it to working order as part of a Museum activity but really need drawings and operating instructions. We haven't been able to trace Manlove Alliott in Scotland - has the company closed or merged/been taken over by another? Any info will be most appreciated.

Offline Bob6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 14:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry Ericksd.  I would like to help but since the Manlove and Alliott Refuse Destructor was patented in 1859 and your model is 1901 I am afraid that it is a bit before my time.
Manlove's was taken over by the Melbray Group before the Nottingham factory closed around 1969.  You may trace the firm in Scotland.
 I have looked through all my drawings and memorabilia but there is no record of the Desructor.
Bob6

Offline porridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 November 08 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bob6,

I too worked at Manlove and Alliott but after you left. My Father worked there starting as an indentured apprentice presumably in the late 40's?. I started an apprenticeship at the Bloomsgrove works in June 1967 but left in 1969 when I heard that they were closing. My dad continued as a service manager in a separate location further down Ilkeston road until that was also taken over by the facility transferred to Manlove Tullis in Scotland.

If you have any further info on M & A, I would be really interested in undertsanding, you may have known my Dad, James Henry?

Regards

Offline Bob6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 November 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Porridge,  I am sorry to say that I did not know your father.
Manloves used to hold a reunion every year in the pub on Derby Road.  I went to a few but seem to forget the date.  If I hear of the next one I will let you know.
A reporter and photographer from The Nottingham Evening Post attended the meeting in May 2000.  His report prompted a lot of letters to the Post, including mine.  I have kept copies.
I also have a few photo's, sales leaflets and drawings which may be of interest.
Regards   Bob6 

Offline porridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 November 08 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bob6,

Thank you for your reply. When I posted my inquiry I missed off his Surname: Horridge. He did used to attend the reunions before he passed away 21 years ago.

When I started my apprenticeship I worked in Ron Archers electricians section and although I spent a great deal of time attending Peoples College as part of my training, I did manage to do some maintenance activity in various parts of the factory as well as work with Dick Hunt, cabling 3 and 4 roll ironing machines.

The job that I wasn't too keen on was when the cranes in the foundry used to lose a a supply line due to a build up of dust etc on the live wires that ran in the support beam the full length of the foundry. We had to use the other crane to position a new wire and drag the length of the foundry, a very tricky job that could only be done at the weekends.

My objective was to work in Keith Oats electronics design group but with Manloves moving up North I managed to get on another training pr gramme working for International Computers Limited where I stayed for 33 years before taking early retirement in 2002.

I would very much like to have a look at the items you mention, what is the best way of contacting you or should we wait till you find out if another reunion occurs?

Regards

Offline Bob6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 November 08 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Porridge,
Yes I did know your father, Jimmy Horridge.
I will try to find the date and venue of the next reunion and we will get together with other ex Manloves Men.  It is usually held in May.
I will bring along my cuttings and hope to meet ex colleagues I missed at recent meetings.
If you find the details first please let me know.
I look forward to meeting you.
Bob6