Author Topic: Help required on Manlove Alliott co ltd photo  (Read 27030 times)

Offline JVD1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help required on Manlove Alliott co ltd photo
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 15 August 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

I worked as an electrician at Manloves until the mid sixties whereupon I setup
Metrofast and continued to service, bought and reconditioned ironers up and until approximately 2003 some of the machines being over fifty years old.  Some of the machines are certainly in operation today; we still get the occasional call for parts.  Graham Poyser was my partner and occasionally Harold Willis worked with us. 

I also went to the 1958 and 1962 exhibitions at Olympia with Jimmy Horridge, Ernie Taylor (Mabel), Harold Willis, Mick Warren (62 only) and Vernon Sibert.  I have some photographs somewhere.

p.s porridge your father may of spoken of me; he always said I saved his life when he got a blockage in his leg whilst on site at Naburn Hospital.

When Manloves closed at Nottingham all the photographic records were taken to the Nottingham industrial museum at Wollaton Park.  There where in large Albums dating from the late 1800s.  When I made an appointment with the curator to review them, he could not find the later albums, these were the ones that contained the photographs of the steam tram for Dublin, the road roller the lighthouse and the winding engine for Wollaton pit along with all the ironing m/c and sterilizers photos and many more.  The city council is to close the museum at the end of August and I wonder what will become of the photographs.

Regards

John

Offline MEDSEC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 February 11 17:20 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hello, just browsing Manlove Alliott, and wondered if anyone remembered my father, Frank White. He worked at Manloves from the early 1930s, we still have a copy of his completed indentures, and was there till the firm closed in April 1970. He travelled all over England, and Wales, also to Ireland fitting sterilisers, first building them and then travelling to fit them in. He fitted all the new laundry equipment in the Union Castle Liners in the 1960s, he trained many apprentices during their 5 year apprenticeship, and was more or less in charge of the training of Manloves Apprentices when they went to Peoples College in the mid to late 1960s. I still wear, with pride, the watch he was presented with in 1964, engraved for over 30 years service, and I have been told by a local jeweller it is of exceptional quality.
I have photos of dad at the Olympia exhibitions, and we certainly knew Jimmy Horridge. I remember the office, which was surrounded by glass, I worked there during the summer holidays in about 1962 for work experience, there was a very pretty young lady called Eileen worked there, and for a while I went out with a Terry Britton who worked in the Offices. After Manloves folded dad worked for a few years at an Adult Training Centre, before he died in 1976 at the age of 61.
Hope some of you remember him.

Offline tebba

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 22:43 GMT (UK) »
hi regarding nos mo king in the pattern shop ,he was my foreman in 1964 i was an apprentice pattern maker,apart from me and nosmo there were Jack demero,Harry lindley,Steve Dable,also old Steve ?,these guys were highly skilled,in the foundry the foreman was Duggan,when i get my thinking cap on i will post more names and stories from manloves.

Offline Kevin Peacock

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Authorised Engineer (Decontamination), MIHEEM Specialties: - Aseptic process validation; - Validation of Isolator systems; - VHP development and qualification; - Validation of sterilisation processes, (moist heat, dry heat, EO, radiation, plasma, a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 08 May 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I have recently been researching air detecting systems on steam sterilizers and through registered patents I came across reference to the company manlove alliott & co.  I note that they filed a patent in the mid to late 60's and I wonder if any of you may have been involved in the development of this technology?

I have been testing sterilizers for some years now and have often wondered where the technology was developed and by whom. 

I would love to here from anyone who may have been involved or has information regarding the technology and testing methodology.

King regards

Offline Trolleybus39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
I was a friend of Graham's as we both served our time at Manloves. Is he still around? 'Bag' Willis must surely have passed on - what a lovely bloke.

I'd love the opportunity of a natter if Metrofast is still in business.

I can still file a key but useless on computers, so if you get this message, my email is(*)
Cheers Clive.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline porridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 February 16 18:20 GMT (UK) »
I realise it's been a while since anyone posted in this thread but are there still people on this site interested in Manloves?

Offline Trolleybus39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 13 February 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jimmy's lad!

Just found your enquiry of yesterday - so hope this helps.

I served my time at Manloves from 1953-1959 as a fitter. Yes, I remember your dad well but didn't have a lot to do with him as I was only a lad at the time. Always smiling was little Jimmy and it was obvious he was well thought of at Manloves. I've read all the topics on this thread and remember most people mentioned.

Another Poster mentioned a 'flat faced' machinist who's machine was not far from the drawing office. This chap was Tommy Price who worked the large vertical borer and was a lovely man. His nickname was Gandie Price! Other questions I can answer:

Percy Gregory worked in the Gunshop across from me.
The Gunshop foreman was Charlie Johnson (he must have smoked 100 Players a day!) and the inspector was George Sharpe

Stan Hale or  E Stanley Hale (his full title!) was the sales director and later formed Workwear Rental when he left Manloves.

Derek Thomson was a draughtsman and used to smuggle me into his car to go for a football kickabout on Wollaton Park during some lunchtimes with other draughtsman. Derek later became manager of the Co-op laundry on Daleside Road which has recently been demolished.

I served the last six months of my apprenticeship under Ernie Taylor (it was Epperstone he lived at as I lived in Burton Joyce) experimenting with new control panels he was developing for sterilizers. Ernie was a very clever and innovative engineer both electrical and mechanical. I have many more
memories of Manloves but not enough time right now to put them down, so hope this helps.

Kind regards

Clive Linley

Offline porridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 13 February 16 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your comments and memories Clive. Now you've mentioned his nick name: Gandi Price, I remember him quite well.

Do you live in Nottingham? Will you be going to the reunion at Hyson Green, organised by Bob Thompson? A few years ago I managed to contact Ron Archer, the electricians supervisor, and took him to one of the reunions.

Percy Gregory and Dad were good friends, he used to come round to ours every Sunday evening, watch TV, smoke many fags and have a glass of lemonade, whilst dad had something a little stronger.

Did you know Ron Bray, another Manloves guy? He lived close by in Abingdon square, Aspley.

Some great memories of some interesting characters!

Offline Trolleybus39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 February 16 21:05 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for your reply Mr Orridge ( not being facetious) - great to keep the memories flowing.

I'm now in my 78th year and still have my Indentures. My Dad worked for a spell at Manloves under  Stan Keyes in the plant office and when it became apparent I wasn't going to become anything at school, he got me a job at Manloves, which turned out the best thing my Dad ever did for me.

Of course I remember Ron Bray but can't put a face to his name. I live in Southwell and would be over the moon to attend a Manlove's reunion or meet you sometime for a natter over a pint if you live locally.

Thanks so much for replying

Clive